Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Be cautious of Cherry Creek State Park in Denver

If they think the park is full of day use people, they shut down entry.

It does not matter if your MH is already parked in the campground. They will still deny you access to your MH.

Campground "host" later said a 4 hour wait was not uncommon.

I really feel sorry for the ladies working the gate. They were obviously quite worn out from having to deal with angry people all day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #2

Never heard of something like that.

If you're already in the campground you'd have a campsite pass on your windshield and I don't see how they can deny entry.

I can see limiting day use entrants.

That's one place we wouldn't like to volunteer and get all the hassle.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. Are you sure this was not a misunderstanding of the persons manning the entry gate? As previously commented, if you have a campsite and a vehicle pass, makes no sense to block your entry.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #4

Here's the park's brochure and the first paragraph states a 'carrying capacity'. It doesn't say anything about those already having a campsite.

At the least they should let campers know that if they leave the park in their car or truck they might not be able to return.

I still find this hard to believe.

https://mytowncryer.files.wordpress....state-park.pdf
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 AM   #5

Sorry for your problems but this post brought back some memories. My family moved not far from the dam when I was in 5th grade until I graduated HS. As a kid my friends and I would hike to and over the dam to the reservoir. No entry passes required.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #6

We've stayed at Cherry Creek many times over the years. We generally enter off Parker close to 225. As you enter the park there is a pass lane to the left of the guard shack. If your tow vehicle has the pass in the lower right side of the window the guard will just wave you in knowing your an rv guest. In the evening the park personnel go to their RV's or home in the area and the gates are always left open all night. We've never had a problem and always stay the maximum number of days (14) under state park rules. There's more to this story. Cherry Creek is a beautiful state park in the heart of Denver.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There is not " more to the story", nor any misunderstanding by the gate people, as we originally thought as well. I called the park main office and their reply was "yes, you just have to wait until people leave the park". And if you read my post you will find an additional confirmation by the nice folks working the campground who also thought the rule was dumb.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

We had a not-so-pleasant stay at St. Vrain State Park, which is near Denver. We couldn't get a site at Cherry Creek. We will never go back to St. Vrain, and this makes me think their state park system - at least in the Denver area - has a problem. That's absolutely nuts to make you wait to go to your RV. Typical stupid government decision.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wow. That's one case where I would not follow their "rules". They cannot deny access to your own property.

I'd blow through the gate, pack up and leave.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
There is not " more to the story", nor any misunderstanding by the gate people, as we originally thought as well. I called the park main office and their reply was "yes, you just have to wait until people leave the park". And if you read my post you will find an additional confirmation by the nice folks working the campground who also thought the rule was dumb.
Again, We've stayed at Cherry Creek many times over the years and always at 14 days per visit. We've never had a problem. We make sure we have the tow vehicle sticker in the windshield. The gates are not maned after about 5-6 PM and are always open. I've even seen some campers make a point of arriving after 6PM, finding an empty site and departing at 7AM the next morning and avoiding the park fees. I really don't understand how legally they can keep you from your coach. If you have identified your tow vehicle and place the ID in the windshield your already part of the capacity calculation. On our next trip I'll check with Kevin Becker. He does the host recruiting for Cherry Creek and Chatfield State Parks.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #11

Stayed one night a few years ago. Really nice park. Deer all around in the morning. At check-in, they gave us a mirror hanger that allowed us to reenter the park. However, I don't know if it ever filled up. Seems if you have the hanger, they have to let you in. This is really weird. Wonder if day users were daying they have a camper in the park as a way to gain entrance.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Again, We've stayed at Cherry Creek many times over the years and always at 14 days per visit. We've never had a problem. We make sure we have the tow vehicle sticker in the windshield. The gates are not maned after about 5-6 PM and are always open. I've even seen some campers make a point of arriving after 6PM, finding an empty site and departing at 7AM the next morning and avoiding the park fees. I really don't understand how legally they can keep you from your coach. If you have identified your tow vehicle and place the ID in the windshield your already part of the capacity calculation. On our next trip I'll check with Kevin Becker. He does the host recruiting for Cherry Creek and Chatfield State Parks.
You can continue to say, " We've never had a problem......" It doesn't mean that there's never a problem. It doesn't sound like having the sticker placed in the windshield would help with this situation.
It appears that at least for the particular weekend that the OP is talking about the gate was closed and campers were delayed in getting back to their site.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Call state police, bring charges of grand theft, that will bring the problem to a head!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
You can continue to say, " We've never had a problem......" It doesn't mean that there's never a problem. It doesn't sound like having the sticker placed in the windshield would help with this situation.
It appears that at least for the particular weekend that the OP is talking about the gate was closed and campers were delayed in getting back to their site.
On the Parker Road entrance the gate is never closed on the right side of the guard shack. Many campers use this park to visit friends and family in the Greater Denver area. Park employees leave for the evening around 5-6 PM and close the pass through gate to the left of the guard post but not the right side entrance. If they closed all gates visitor could not get back in the park after having dinner in Denver. I've entered the park at every hour from 4pm through midnight without a problem probably 100 times over a 5 years span. They can't close the gates for emergency access. Call 911 and the police and EMS service have to be able to enter the park. This happened to one camper who had heart problems.