Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Beach camping

Wife and I would like to head to the beach late July or early August. Can't decide between Virginia beach,Myrtle beach, Outer banks, or the seashore up in the state of Delaware. We would like to spend time on the beach and take a few days to drive up and down the coast to sight see. Being from Ohio we are not too picky. Just would like to here some recommendations. Thanks in advance for any advice you send my way! Also would listen to any recommendations for any other east coast beaches that I haven't mentioned.
Thanks again!
rtbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in NC, and I'm not aware of anyplace that you are going to be able to 'park' on the beach front. Most of the what I've seen has pretty expensive homes along the coast line, with limited parking areas. There are some area's to park a row+ back, with walking access to the beach. Some have a vision of just driving an RV down the coastline and pull over and park along the roadside, that's not the case here.

If instead what you mean is to drive down and stay at an RV campground, and then drive over to the beach for the day, sure you'll be able to do that.

We've always rented homes at the OuterBanks and can walk to the beach. The parking areas are limited, and you will need to hit the beach early if you expect to find a parking spot for your toad at one of these parking/beach access areas.

I would suggest you take a look at google maps or google earth on your PC, as it has an option to drop yourself down on the road and you can actually look at what the roads and homes look like.....just like you are driving down the road. That way you won't be surprised wherever you choose to go.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We stayed at Camp Hatteras last summer, It was great.Camp Hatteras RV Campground and Resort
Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #4

When we lived in Brunswick County NC, we always tried to get in at Lakewood and Ocean Lakes campgrounds in Myrtle Beach. You can get sites right down near the beach if you make reservations far enough in advance.

Check them out on campgroundreviews.com
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:34 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In Va Beach there are no campgrounds with direct beach access. The closest would be First Landing State Park with is actually on the Chesapeake Bay. There are two commercial campgrounds south of the boardwalk area but again the campground doesn't have a beach itself. Across the bay north of Va Beach is Kiptopeke State Park which has a beach but also on the bay.

Myrtle Beach area has several commercial campground that have a beach but you'll be pack in with other travelers. If you're up for a bit of off the grid camping Assateague Island just south of Ocean City Maryland has two public campgrounds (State and Federal) with direct beach access but you'll have to deal with the wild horses walking thru your camp site from time to time.

If you have the time I would recommend Assateague then Kiptopeke then something out on Hatteras/Eastern Shore. All easy drives between with stuff to do and see other than just wandering the beach if the weather is less than optimum.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #6

We just did some beach camping in the Outer Banks and then Assateague Island.

Both have beach front camping in state and federal CGs. Only Assateague STATE CG has hot showers and a few sites with power, while the federal site don't. No crowding at the sites, so the 7AM to 10PM generator times are not a problem.

There are miles and miles of deserted beachs around the Outer Banks 4 federal CGs and some private CGs as well. For the southern most CG, you take a free ferry ride to get to.

In Assateague, you wake up to the horses grazing next to your rig.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbroke View Post
Wife and I would like to head to the beach late July or early August. Can't decide between Virginia beach,Myrtle beach, Outer banks, or the seashore up in the state of Delaware. We would like to spend time on the beach and take a few days to drive up and down the coast to sight see. Being from Ohio we are not too picky. Just would like to hear some recommendations. Thanks in advance for any advice you send my way! Also would listen to any recommendations for any other east coast beaches that I haven't mentioned.
Thanks again!
All the beaches will be fine BUT you need to find a reservation
that will likely dictate where you go - beaches are CROWDED in the Summer, so if you don't have a place to stay you will need to be LUCKY or search to find one.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Busskipper is right on. Getting a reservation is difficult. We are camping in Myrtle Beach this week. The two State Parks (Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington beach state park) are very nice and on the beach.

The commercial parks are on the beach also but emphasis on "commercial". Very touristy
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
In Myrtle Beach you have three large beach campgrounds just south of downtown MB, and two large ones about 15 minutes north of downtown MB. We have stayed at all 5 over the last 25 years, and find Myrtle Beach Travel Park to be a little lower key / more laid back than the other 4. To avoid the crowds ( a little), we booked the first 10 days in Sept. If your looking at the end of July, I would book now.....We booked in Jan.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #10

Assateague National Seashore near Ocean City, MD. Beach is just over the sand dune. Guess reservations would be tough to get on ocean side of CG but better luck on bay side.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most of the large MB campgrounds will have 200-500 sites near the ocean front, usually all pull-thru's, many with some sort of wooden shade structure over the picnic table. Then further back in the campground you will find more trees for shade.

At Myrtle Beach Travel Park, we reserve a site in the pine forest about 5-1o sites from the pool area. From our site it's about a 1 minute bike ride to the beach area. Much cooler temps, but still with a ocean breeze. I just find less golf carts blasting around at MB Travel Park. Pics
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #12

It has been some time since I have camped at Myrtle Beach and even then it was really pre-season. It is crowded to the point of crazy in town, and expect to wait a long time to eat out.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #13

Opposite

I don't know if it is allowed anymore, but in the past you could pull off of US-2, west of St. Ignace, and camp overnight just over a small dune from Lake Michigan.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #14

Made reservations today for Virginia Beach, at The Colonies RV & Travel Park in Fort Monroe Virginia. Also going to stay a few days at Cherry Hill park and visit D.C. Thanks for all the replies!
rtbroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping