Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you decide to run up and take a look at the beautiful scenery at the top of Bearthooh, maybe you should take a look at this

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/image...oth_126_lg.jpg

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/image...tooth_1_lg.jpg

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/beartooth/

If you think that is scary think what it looked like when it was supported with wood timbers instead of metal
Ron

Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Those were pics from the 2005 mudslide that closed the highway for the entire season. There was a huge snow overhang at the very top of all those switchbacks. A rapid melt from rain filled the thing up like a lake and when it finally let go it tore down the slope, wiping out one switchback after another. The reconstruction job was A-1 and done in record time to prevent any more economic damage to the community of Red Lodge, who was really hurting that year. Many improvements were made to prevent that kind of freak reoccurence from happening in the future. That's what happens when you cut the red tape and tell someone who's qualified to just go do it.

Still, it's the mountains and as beuatiful as they are you have to respect them because you never know what might come next.

I do remember the wood timbers. We were delayed during a fixup portion in the earlier years when they were replacing some of them.

It's hard to believe that the old bridge over Crazy Creek Falls used to be the original highway, especially when you compare it to the new highway section that bypasses it.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
We traveled BTP on our Gold Wing a few years ago. It was the 3rd of July and a storm was brewing when we left Red Lodge. At the pace we were traveling it felt like we were in an elevator. It was cloudy so we didn't get to enjoy the views, plus my eyes were on the road . The next morning in Cooke City there was 4 inches of white stuff!

All these pictures just make us want to retrace our travels at a MH pace. One day soon.

Thanks for the pictures everyone.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron & Dee:
Before you decide to run up and take a look at the beautiful scenery at the top of Bearthooh, maybe you should take a look at this
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I aint skeered!!

We are planning a trip up there soon, maybe next year, we'll see.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually it was scarier driving from Tower Falls to Mammoth in Yellowstone than it was driving the Beartooth

The road was very, very narrow and most of the on coming traffic was hogging the road

Ron
Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

That's why I won't drive Mount Washburn in Yellowstone with the RV. I'll drive any other road but not the one from Tower to Canyon. From Mammoth to Norris it gets tight around Gibbon Falls but it's okay. However, the road up and over Mount Washburn, even though it's repaved and widened, just doesn't work for an RV. The hairpins get tight and there is always some clown in a minivan coming around blind curves that's half in my lane. While the Bus is capable of making that leg, defensive driving just won't help in that area so I go around. Generally, when we enter the park via the Beartooths we'll head over to Gardiner for a few days, then south to West Yellowstone for 5 days before exiting the park via the east or south entrances. We take the Jeep on the Tower to Canyon leg. It's narrow enough that I can make it past the "lane and a half" drivers.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
The hairpins get tight and there is always some clown in a minivan coming around blind curves that's half in my lane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And even other clowns on motorcycles driving left of center

I'm still having a hard time trying to figure that one out

Ron
Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Cruzer, Ron, Dee & ALL: So, you've actually hauled over the Beartooth..eh? BOY, that's wonderful news. I had the idea it wasn't advisable to take your rig over the pass and although I've driven over the route (Red Lodge to Cooke City) a couple times in smaller vehicles, I REALLY wanted to take our rig over the top. We fulltime in a 06, 40ft. Pusher with a 400 ISL, good engine brakes, and towing a Honda Element with canoe on top. SO...it's REALLY do-able huh? Thanks for the discussion and your beautiful pics. Steve & Lynette
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve & Lynette,

I don't tow so Cruzer or anyone else who has driven over Beartooth would probably be the one to reply, but this is one of the rigs we saw camped at the top near the summit.

You can blame my other half for not getting a good frame of the MH. We didn't get to see what kind of toad was on the other side of the MH. We passed a lot of other rigs with toads on the trip over to Red Lodge.

It's a beautiful ride.

Ron
Old 12-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Now that spot rates a 10+
Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chickadee:
Cruzer, Ron, Dee & ALL: So, you've actually hauled over the Beartooth..eh? BOY, that's wonderful news. I had the idea it wasn't advisable to take your rig over the pass and although I've driven over the route (Red Lodge to Cooke City) a couple times in smaller vehicles, I REALLY wanted to take our rig over the top. We fulltime in a 06, 40ft. Pusher with a 400 ISL, good engine brakes, and towing a Honda Element with canoe on top. SO...it's REALLY do-able huh? Thanks for the discussion and your beautiful pics. Steve & Lynette </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With that combo, you'll be fine. We've done it with a 33' gasser on a W20 Workhorse and a 40' Allegro Buss, similar to your config, and with the 42' tag axle Bus with the same 400 ISL.

There are a few secrets to making the trip easier.

One is to take the trip from Red Lodge, towards Yellowstone, not the other way around. The only real "severe" grade is the one just outside of Red Lodge as you climb the switchbacks. It's okay for climbing but I wouldn't want to do it the other direction because there'd be too much time on the brakes going down. The downgrade to Cooke City is more gradual and has plenty of places to breathe but the Red Lodge switchbacks on the east face are steep and relentless.

Also, unhook the toad at the Custer State Forest Sign, which is a few miles out of Red Lodge, and let the copilot follow behind the RV in the toad. There's a big pull-off area there where you can unhook. Once you get up top you can rehook - either at the scenic overlook parking lot or across the road from Top of The World Store. We tend to stay unhooked until the store, then take the Jeep and explore, then rehook.

Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to see the Beartooths. That means staying at Red Lodge (the KOA is nice and has the best tasting water you'll ever find - so fill up while there) so that you can begin the drive in the morning. Stopping at Top of the World Store is always a treat. Lots of room across the roads to park an RV. Check with Bart at the store as to what to see and be sure to take the toad down the road a bit to see Beartooth Lake, Crazy Creek Falls, etc.

You can camp at Top of the World. It's a rocky site but has good water and sewer. No electricity because Bart runs the entire store off a small generator but you can run yours in the site. It's very basic but a great base camp location for a day or two. Here's a shot of our site in 2003.

This is the West Summit, a few miles after the switchbacks:

This is a typical shot of one of the many lakes up in the saddle, very close to Top of The World:

See, now you really want to go.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Mark & Leann: Thank You, Thank You, for the great suggestions re: running the Beartooth in our rig. Good suggestion about unhooking tow on Red Lodge side before climbing the pass. Can't wait to run the pass next time we're up in Montana heading toward Yellowstone. We really liked hanging out in Cooke City. The folks there are genuine fun characters..and..we really got a kick outta their law enforcement measures to slow folks down entering and leaving Cooke City...where they've parked (permantently) on each end of town two black and white patrol cars. No one in em...just the cars...but BOY! when ya come around the curve into town and see the cop car..ya do tend to hit the brakes!!! Low overhead for the city too! We'll now be returning. Thanks again. Steve & Lynette
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the great info on the Beartooth Highway. We are planning our first trip out to Yellowstone this summer. I have been using a lot of previous posts to research the area. We will be entering from the west and plan on staying at Grizzly in West Yellowstone. Leaving to the east via the Sylvan Pass and plan on 2 days at Rex Hale campground in the Shoshone National Forest. We will day trip in the toad up to Red Lodge. Does anyone have any experience with Rex Hale?

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:09 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chickadee:
We really liked hanging out in Cooke City. Lynette </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what was hanging out in Cook City back in 1986

Didn't see any this past summer while passing through, just high gas prices

How high will it be this year?