Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #1

We am planning to go to Yellowstone NP in mid May 2006. We are thinking about taking the Beartooth Hwy (212) from I90 to Red Lodge, to the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone, then onto Tower Falls and back to Mammoth Hot Springs. Then we are going to West Yellowstone and Old Faithful before heading south through the Tetons to Jackson. If we have any time left in our two weeks, we want to drive through the Rocky Mountain NP on the way home. We have been know to stay longer than planned before, so don't know if we will make Rocky Mountain NP.

I have done searches on the Beartooth and understand that the road has been repaired. My questions has to do with a "flat lander" driving the Beartooth Hwy in mid May, is this too early in the year because of the chance of snow? Which are the best campgrounds, places to stay or see?
We do not plan on towing the jeep at this point, but am still waffling about that. What do you think?
Any suggestions or comments will be appriceated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #2

We am planning to go to Yellowstone NP in mid May 2006. We are thinking about taking the Beartooth Hwy (212) from I90 to Red Lodge, to the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone, then onto Tower Falls and back to Mammoth Hot Springs. Then we are going to West Yellowstone and Old Faithful before heading south through the Tetons to Jackson. If we have any time left in our two weeks, we want to drive through the Rocky Mountain NP on the way home. We have been know to stay longer than planned before, so don't know if we will make Rocky Mountain NP.

I have done searches on the Beartooth and understand that the road has been repaired. My questions has to do with a "flat lander" driving the Beartooth Hwy in mid May, is this too early in the year because of the chance of snow? Which are the best campgrounds, places to stay or see?
We do not plan on towing the jeep at this point, but am still waffling about that. What do you think?
Any suggestions or comments will be appriceated.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Beartooth Pass is scheduled to open May 26th. It is possible though that the Chief Joseph Highway (296) will be open at that time. Rather than take US-212 from Red Lodge over the mountains to Cook City and the Northeast Entrance, you could go around the front half of the Beartooths and come in via WY-296, known as the Chief Joseph Highway. That way you'd at least get to see half of the Beartooths. Once you intercept US-212 at it's mid-point you can turn right and backtrack to Top of the World Store (which I highly recommend). You can unhook and park the RV in the large gravel lot across the street, then take the Jeep and explore some really awesome scenery before rehooking for the drive down to Cooke City.

It is early - frankly I'd wait until after Memorial Day. Not just because of the Beartooths, but there are a number of places in Yellowstone that just aren't open yet either. Many trails are closed and not all the services are open. However, if you only have that time slot open, it's better than nothing. You can probably check with the Forest Service office in Red Lodge as to when the Chief Joseph Highway is open. Generally the real serious snow is on the switchbacks on the Red Lodge side and thins out substantially at the West Summit.

We've driven the highway a number of times. We used our 2003 Suncruiser 33V and easily made it up in June of 2003 but we did unhook the Jeep and my wife followed when making the initial climb up the switchbacks. You can make it towing with a gasser but it's easier and faster if you unhook. Plus, there are a number of areas where you will want to pull over and take photos and it's easier to park the RV into some of the shorter spaces if the toad isn't on.

Driving to Mammoth is a good idea after the Beartooths. We stayed at the Red Lodge KOA, which is a nice place and the only one really large enough to handle a large class A in Red Lodge. At Mammoth you can stay at the NPS campground (no services but plenty of room) or head just out the entrance to Gardiner and stay at the Yellowstone River RV Park. I would definitely bring the Jeep along though. It's going to be very hard to see Yellowstone by touring in the RV. You can "drive" all the roads but interesting things happen all over and you won't be able to find many spots to "park" in. Leave the RV at the campground and take the Jeep to tour the park in.

Be sure to check out the other thread in the "Crossroads" section of this forum to see the notes on this route as well as some pictures of what you'll be seeing.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 AM   #4

Thank you Mark. I guess I will have to rethink when to take this trip. We really want to travel the whole Beartooth Hwy if possible.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mid June always works for me. The road opens Memorial Day but early weather can be iffy and the one day you get there, it may be closed due to snow. In mid June you will still be able to see the snow covered surroundings and the huge drifts that are cut out alongside the road. Plus, you'll probably see them skiing near the summit. You can pull into a pulloff and look down into the bowl and see them skin down and taking the rope-tow back up, especially on a weekend. Certain side trails and roads will be closed, like the road to the fire lookout tower at Clay Butte. But, the water will be flowing so places like Sill Falls will be very impressive and you see plenty of frozen lakes. To me, the mid to end of June is the best time for the Beartooths. Also, Top of the World store has camping available. It's at 10,000' of altitude and has sewer and water but no electricity because he runs his store off a small generator. But the water is the best you'll ever find - you could bottle this stuff and sell it. And, it's a great place to basecamp from if you want to explore the area with your toad or hiking boots. It will get cold at night though.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am not to sure of Highway conditions. But..... We went to Yellowstone NP last year, May 17th we left WA state. We stayed at West Yellowstone for a week. In West Yellowstone KOA was VERY nice, Great staff, Beautiful KOA. Lots to do in the town of West Yellostone and a nice little town. Went to Yellowstone everyday. It was cold & we had to unfasten our hose at night because it froze, but the days were nice. Then again, that was last May. One thing I do want to tell you is that I really enjoyed seeing the Bison calves in May. We saw a Bear & a Moose and tons of Bison w/calves and Elk. Went everywhere in the park in the days there.

Then on to Cody, WY ( I would highly reccommend Cody)and stayed in the KOA there. It had just opened and was fine......The Buffalo Bill Center is Fantastic and is 5 museums in one!

.....and then on to Rocky Mountain NP (daughter in Loveland, CO) Best Pizza in the world in Ft. Collins! Snowed in RMNP @ 10,000+ elevation ! but it is Beautiful.

There was road const. on the highway (east entrance of Yellowstone) out of the park, going to Cody, there was a slight delay and Rough road !! I would check into that, but anytime of year has its advantages, just depends on what you like to see and do !
CactusCampin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CactusCampin':
.......and then on to Rocky Mountain NP (daughter in Loveland, CO) Best Pizza in the world in Ft. Collins! ..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That had to be Beau Joe's Pizza! We always eat at the one in Idaho Springs, CO. Thick crusted Mountain Pies or thin Prairie Pies. Yumm.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Actually....it is
Pizzeria La Collina in downtown
Fort Collins on Olive St!
Fort Collins has a great downtown area to visit also !
CactusCampin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #9

Was at the CODY Museum last week (again), it is awesome. Also had a beer in Buffalo Bills saloon, IRMA, in downtown...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote