Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Been to Newfoundland the Past Few Years?

Hi,

this will be my first trip to Newfoundland. My question is related as to whether or not you would recommend reserving campsites. Have any of you, that have been there in the past few years, run into scenarios where not having a reservation caused an issue for your travel plans?

My Class B is under 20' in length so space is not a concern, and since I prefer the flexibility to decide where to go once I get there, I typically don't reserve campsites unless staying multiple nights at a particular campground. But ... I will be going there mid-summer and can envision some full campgrounds when I arrive. In my home province, if you don't reserve in the summer-time, the popular parks fill very quickly.

I do have the ferry booked round-trip and will reserve at Gros Morne National Park.

Now, that I think about it ... what are the prospects for boondocking?

Cheers,

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has been 9 years since we were there but I doubt things have changed much. We spent 39 nights in NB, NS, PE and another 30 in NL. Getting to Newfoundland and back is expensive and gasoline is stupid expensive but it is worth the cost to go. We only had a month to explore "the rock" and needed at least another month to do it justice. Hope to get to Labrador too next time.

Stunning scenery and the friendliest people we have ever met. We stayed mostly at Provincial Parks and boondocked for 4 nights. The only time we had a problem getting a site was on the Friday of a long weekend but some locals heard about our problem from the Ranger and offered us their seasonally reserved site which they would not be using!

Lots of places like little seaside fishing villages that are abandoned off fishing season and are great to boondock. We saw a number of Class B rigs like yours camped all over the island. Get the trip planning guide and have a great trip.

If you are a fish & chips fan, I recommend a day trip from Port Aux Basque to Rose Blanche along the southwest coast. Find Friendly Fisherman's Seafood Restaurant which is on pilings over the water. Fresh, fish, hand cut pan fries, cold beer, great service. Enjoy!

Greg, snowbirding in Nanaimo, BC

Bobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

We were there last summer. I don't think you'll have a problem finding a CG, just ocassionally not in the ones all the RV caravans use, and they tend to use the same CG's most times and book a year in advance. Some ferrys are first come-first on, like the PEI ferry.
re: Gros Morne; Gros Morne RV CG in Rocky Harbor NL, South of the park, usually has an opening for RV's your size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

We went in Aug./Sept 2013 and found it was good to have booked the ferry and
Gros Morne camping and we did this before we left home. Going on to St. John's we stayed at Pippy Park where we also booked ahead. This park is a very good location to see the city and you can walk on a great trail following a creek to the downtown area. ( Rennies River Trail - ask at park office) . Also, before driving onto the ferry, they will ask all RV's to shut the LP gas. However, we found things stayed cool in the fridge for the 6 hour crossing. Just remember to turn it on and turn on the fridge once you land on the other side.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went in 03. Took the long ferry across and the short one back. Spent almost 4 weeks and had a great time. We still have friends that we met there . By far the nicest people that we've met in all 10 Canadian Provinces and 49 States. Ferry reservations were made as well as our first stop in St. John's ( Piggy Park ). Since we didn't have exact plans , we didn't reserve any others. We called as we went and didn't have any problems. Have a great time.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I was born and raised in Newfoundland and camped at the many provincial parks as a boy, I don't think you will have any problems. There's a uniquely Newfoundland version of boodocking, it's called "gravel pit camping". All along the Trans-Canada highway which traverses the province you will find gravel pits left over from the construction of the highway. Newfoundlanders have been making use of them for years a convemient weekend getaways. Here's a link to an article How To 'Drive' to Newfoundland | GypsyNester | Celebrating Life After Kids ™ by a visitor and he mentions "gravel pit camping" You'll have a great time!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for responding.

I have 15 full days to go and explore ... I'm really looking forward to it!! I just received the travel guide and road map the other week and find the info helpful.

@Retreever ... nice blog. I am taking the overnight trip (6 - 8 hr crossing) and have a cabin all reserved similar to what your video shows. I will definitely see if I can find some of the "gravel pits" to boondock at.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Planning same for August 2016. Have bookmarked this for planning.

OP - have a grand time and report back... :thumbup:
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Planning same for August 2016. Have bookmarked this for planning.

OP - have a grand time and report back... :thumbup:
I usually create a video of a trip such as this and will try to remember to post it back here.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #10

Trip Update

Hi,

although the weather did not co-operate, Newfoundland is awesome!!

I did book all of my sites but did see several good/scenic boondocking sites ... one in particular was right on the Atlantic ocean that must've had 15-20 Class A RVs and smaller sites a bit down the highway. I made 4 separate videos, each based on the area I was staying in.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScubaStevee62

2nd video is King's Point, followed by Dildo Run (yes, that's the actual name) & ending with the Atlantic to Terra Nova video. I intersperse still photos in with the video clips. Music is all done be me in my home recording studio. Video editing uses the free Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker. Photos & video captured on a Sony Rx100 M2 camera.

Did not see any large wildlife such as moose or caribou.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #11

Great video #1. Looking forward to watching the remaining videos. Will be making the trip in 2016.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Great job Steve. I'm surprised your YouTube view count is so low for the quality videos you made.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #13

Nice work Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

Hi,

thanks for the compliments about the video.

The reason for the low counts is simple ...

it was uploaded in Canada and won't show up in the US unless a search is done on YouTube.com. Similar as to why you don't see a lot of videos from the UK or Germany or France, etc. on the normal YouTube site.

Cheers,

Steve