Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Best maps, Oregon/Washington

I've been trying to navigate with my iphone apps. It's not working out well.

I now realize I need some kind of paper map(s).

Are there any maps of these territories that include:
rest areas,
mile markers,
public lands,
BLM,
Corp of engineers,
State Park Camp grounds,
Private Campgrounds,
dump stations,
Dept. of Wildlife,
water,
Reviews of sites,
etc.?

Or can I buy separate maps of these types of things? And if so What maps?

I know I want to know a lot of different things and am hoping I can get some direction as to what to get.

Thanks a million!

Best wishes,
Jude

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

I doubt that you'll find one map that has all that stuff. Over the years, we've picked up a lot of different maps at local stores. Most are at county level rather than entire state. Looking at our collection, most of them are by "King of the Road". We also have a national road atlas by Rand McNally.

I believe Rand McNally publishes a "Trucker's Road Atlas", but I haven't picked one up (yet). I'd suggest going onto the web-site www.rvtravel.com which connects to an RV bookstore based in Edmonds, WA. They also have the Trailer Life Campground Directory DVD. We can't use that until I put more RAM in our travelling computer. This year's DVD version needs 1.5Mb and the notebook only has 1.0.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WA, stop at any DOT office for a free map.
But for the info you want try MS Streets and Maps. You can get a frre trial.
If you like it and I think you will then look for the POI Mega File, it has a world of info and places them on the map for you. all the rest stops, state camprounds, Nat Parks, reteraunts, Flying J and other fuel stops.

How do I get this information into Streets & Trips?
The May edition of the POI megafile contains the National Park collection as well as hundreds of other pushpin sets which are geared towards the interests and needs of travelers, road trippers, RVers and Truckers. If you have Microsoft Streets & Trips 2011 you can download the free POI megafile from here. If you don’t yet have S&T 2011 you can download a free 60-day trial from here and then use the POI megafile for 2 months.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
For public campgrounds this is the best site I've found:

www.uscampgrounds.info
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracewriter View Post
I've been trying to navigate with my iphone apps. It's not working out well.

I now realize I need some kind of paper map(s).

Are there any maps of these territories that include:
rest areas,
mile markers,
public lands,
BLM,
Corp of engineers,
State Park Camp grounds,
Private Campgrounds,
dump stations,
Dept. of Wildlife,
water,
Reviews of sites,
etc.?

Or can I buy separate maps of these types of things? And if so What maps?

I know I want to know a lot of different things and am hoping I can get some direction as to what to get.

Thanks a million!

Best wishes,
Jude

I'm a dedicated map user and have a BIG collection.
I've finally found a line of Atlases that has eliminated the necessity for all but the smallest scale (topos for hiking, etc) maps.
They're the Benchmark Atlases: Benchmark Maps Home
And they're published in Oregon, your State!
I don't think they cover every State, but they've got most of the West covered.
These Atlases are fabulously detailed and accurate. Except for reviews, they contain everything on your list- and more.
Run, don't walk, to the nearest outdoor store and buy one for Oregon and whatever other State you're interested in.
You won't regret it!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

a second for the Benchmark Atlases.

A good mapping program as recommended above is also a good idea but those are fading a bit as online maps become more available. These can be helpful in route planning, identifying places to visit, and current conditions (e.g. Road Trip Planner : Weather Underground )

A decent personal navigation device (GPS) personalized with points of interest (see POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS for example) is a good adjunct. The PND's aimed at truckers and the new one for RVers can be a useful step on this path if you don't mind someone else's customizing.

The big problem is learning to use all the technology and getting it to work together for what you want. Even just figuring out what the symbols and colors on a printed map mean can be a challenge sometimes.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found that most of the state maps in our area are pretty complete as far as the main roads,some FS roads,mileposts,etc.I also use the FS maps for the areas I'm going to be in as well as the gazeteer for each state.I do use the VZ Navigator on my Verizon phone as I have found it to be really accurate,but is missing several features I'd like to use sometimes,but that's the reason I carry maps.
I love it when you see someone on the internet that asks if he can drive from Detroit to Estacada on the FS roads in their 45'MH towing a toad and I do know that if you miss a turn there,you're up a creek,literally...
Good Luck and if you haven't been there yet,head for Burns and then south on 205 to French Glen and do some real fun exploring in the Steens mtn and Malheur areas.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #8

Gracerider - I came across a very useful app that works on your iPhone. It's a bit expensive, but from what I have seen so far - Very very useful. Not sure that it has ALL of the Forest and BLM campgrounds, but the areas that I am familiar with has a major portion of them. The App is called AllStays Camp and RV and has a wealth of info. Websites and Reviews are linked to each campground and has rest areas, Wal Mart locations with info about whether parking is allowed, RV Service and Dealer locations, even low clearance locations on highways. Like I said - Very useful!
Good luck! And Great Camping!
TwoMurphs
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gracerider
The best hard paper I have found is "The Next Exit"
It covers the freeways with a color coded explination of all the exits on the major highways, gas,food, RV parks and food services you can plan ahead.
My wife and I were comming across Wyoming and got caught in a snow storm (can you say White Out) we were able to locate the next exit with an RV park, saved our buns.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #10

We really like the Benchmark Series of Road Atlases. (Delorme also puts out the same type of Atlas but they are harder to read and aren't really geared for RV travel.) Benchmark Atlases are much more detailed than the maps put out by the state welcome centers, especially if you want to explore in the boonies. They have many campgrounds listed, 4x4 roads, forest service and state park campgrounds and many more details. They are very easy to read. If you drive the mountains get the RV & Truckers Mountain Directory for the West. It will give you mile by mile on what to expect on some of the more steep highways. (It's also published for the East, too). If you travel interstates a lot, get an Exit directory. Finally, get a laptop GPS program - we love Delorme. With it you can plan a route with many details. The route can then be downloaded to a handheld GPS if you have one. The laptop version makes it extremely easy in the planning stages because it shows many details. Hope this helps but for starters, get the Benchmark Atlas. You'll love it! We have them for all the western states because that's where you'll find us!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Twogypsies

More Benchmark fans, I see!
I wonder if yours are as dogeared and marked up as mine...
I can't throw an old one away when I replace it- it's such a comprehensive trip diary!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #12

Delorme TOPO on your computer. Has BLM on it also.

Ed