Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Rafter J is great. Don't miss Crazy Horse.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #16

We are currently at Broken Arrow and have been here for 5 days. From what I have seen in other RV Parks, this has got to be one of the best. There is about 20-25 feet of grass between the sites. From what I have seen driving around, most of the places here have you packed in like sardines. It is very quiet and backs up to National Forest so we can take the dogs out on a forest road for their walks. Broken Arrow sits about 4.5 miles from Custer, which is a pretty cool little town that has two small grocery stores, a micro brewery, hardware store and several places to eat/shop. The camp is at the end of a newly paved road, the sites are pretty level and the owners are super. My wife and I both ride bicycles and their is plenty of that here too. Today we rode to Crazy Horse monument and back and it took us about 1:45 from the RV Park. There is an old railroad grade that the state turned into a hike/bike trail that runs for over 100 miles that you can pick up in Custer.

About the only downside, if at all, is that the grounds are gravel. I would say the dust is low. Most everyone seems to drive really slow so we really don't notice it like I thought we would when we checked in.

Again, the best thing is the open space each site has. I HATE lounging in the afternoon with my neighbor's sewer hose running right next to me. Jerry, the owner, has a Class A so he knows what RVers want.

This camp is popular with horse owners. In fact, they had about 100 people here last weekend and about 60 horses. Funny thing was that if I hadn't seen them myself, I never would have known that they were here. He has the stables away from the campers and you cannot walk your horse through the camp.

I highly recommend.
Jake

Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TRY Hart Ranch. Think it has Passport America discount too. Maybe RPI or C-toCoast.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
You DO NOT want to be around Rushmore during Sturgis Bike Week unless you are a biker!! Tons of people and prices go sky high. We stayed at the Happy Days RV place. They use to even have gas/diesel sales at a discount to people who stayed. Don't know if they still do. Many sites have a large covered area right beside your RV with picnic table. Ruby House Restaurant & Saloon in Keystone has excellent food and they have a special steak night but don't remember the night. RV places can tell you and you can check it out. www.rubyhouserestaurant.com
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
We're going to Sturgis in August specifically for bike week. We can hardly wait. $135 a night for our camp site with 30 amp, water & sewer. Harley will be on trailer behind us. Ride 1200 miles? No thanks. We'd rather drive the house, tow the bike & ride when we get there.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #20

What about Custer State Park?... Anybody been there and know it well enough to discuss campgrounds, road access and highway approaches? I was planning day trips to Rushmore from the SP, just generally exploring the whole area... once I found a campsite for my 5th Wheel.... some of the roads are described as having low (12') tunnels... Is that pretty accurate?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperline
What about Custer State Park?... Anybody been there and know it well enough to discuss campgrounds, road access and highway approaches? I was planning day trips to Rushmore from the SP, just generally exploring the whole area... once I found a campsite for my 5th Wheel.... some of the roads are described as having low (12') tunnels... Is that pretty accurate?
Take I90 to rapid city and 16 to Custer. The campgrounds in the park are great and if you stay at the game lodge campground you will see buffalo walking right though the campground and it has a trout stream on the rear edge of the campground. It is located close to everything worth seeing in the Black Hills. Don't let the naysayers scare you. Bike week is a fun time in the southern hills. We go every year and just avoid the northern hills area around Sturgis if you don't like crowds. We will see you there if you come the week of August 3rd. Take care.

Ps. The tunnels are all located on iron mountain road and needles road. Definitely worth a drive through when you get your rig unhooked. Holler at us if you need anything when you get to South Dakota
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #22

Hart Ranch is great they r a RPI also go to Hill City and have dinner at Alpine Inn, great filet mignon for 10 bucks and the desserts are to die for, they only serve filets for dinner so be sure you like those but they do it right!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
KOA Custer/Rushmore is going under reconstruction to handle bigger rigs (50amp). Stayed there a couple of weeks ago do not recommend until they complete work which might not be completed until 2013 or beyond.
hscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got back from a week at Rafter J. Had site 265 which is the first site up the hill. It faces the office and makes you feel like you have a football field sized site. It was great for the kids to have all the space to roam. There currently is a fire ban on, and we were unable to have a fire. Wifi is flaky as others say, and when it works it's very slow. The staff are amazing and will do whatever they can to help you out. We needed some ladders to replace our torn slide out cover and they delivered them right to our site. Pancake breakfast is delicious. I can't say enough about this place. Very close to all the major attractions. I will definitely be bringing the family back.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #25

We stayed in the Game Lodge RV campground recently (late June) and were very please with the quality of the sites and the ease of use of the facility. Park your rig there (I think it is one of the easiest approaches (having pulled a car trailer behind our 31' Class C) and then take your TV out along Needles and the Iron Mountain Rd....the tunnel measurements are FOR REAL.....and quite cool to see!!

Paul
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscole
KOA Custer/Rushmore is going under reconstruction to handle bigger rigs (50amp). Stayed there a couple of weeks ago do not recommend until they complete work which might not be completed until 2013 or beyond.
KOA Custer is small for the bigger rigs. I would suggest KOA Hill City/Rushmore. 1st class facility with something for everyone. Water park and pool for kids, adult only pool, horseback riding wine tasting and semi secluded spots away from the major activities for those who wish
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beaver lake campground in Custer this June and it was great.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #28

MLBFAA

We stayed at Happy Holidays Rv Park . Nice park. Little bit of a drive to Mt rushmore, but I sprained my knee in the Badlands and we took the bus tour. I would like to go back someday and do the Bear Country . Only saw one Buffalo in the Mt Rushmore area. Too hot.