Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Best Route From N E PA to Acadia National Park

Looking for suggestions on the best route to take from Northeastern PA to Bar Harbor ME. Used the GPS that came with Sunseeker on my last trip to New Hampshire and on the way home GPS directed us to a road with low overhead clearance. Fortunately wife saw the sign, I missed it. Could have been a big problem. Hopefully someone who has actually driven route can offer advice.

Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Im not sure on what is below Mass. but from Western Mass. I take I90 (Mass. Turnpike) to exit 10A (I290 East ). I take I290 East to I 495 North to I 95 North. Stay on I 95 North into Maine. You can either stay on I 95 (Maine Turnpike) around Portland or take I295 through Portland (Aside from traffic not much different in time). I then usually take then take US Rt 3 in Augusta East to Acadia through Belfast and China and Bucksport, and finally Ellsworth and Trenton. All pretty good roads and no low clearances. We love Acadia and usually go every year.

Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Did just that this past August. Left Norristown,PA on 478 to Allentown. Took 78 east to 287. 287 North to 87. Followed this east to I95. Very easy drive. We spent the night in Mystic,CN. Very beautifull place.
Was going to just go east to I95 and follow it but quite a few people said too rough going thru NY city. Had a great trip. Hope yall do too.
2013 Ventana,Dodge Dakota w/05 Heritage Softail
Every Day Is An Adventure
rjmmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just drove that area a few weeks ago, albeit in our car. It's hard to find continuous good road. Westbound I-78 from I-287 to Allentown had some really bad sections. Can't speak to the eastbound. Likewise bad sections on I-684, and I-84 in western CT, notably between Waterbury and Hartford. 287 in Jersey is great, and across Westchester isn't bad, but I-95 EB in western CT was rough. We got off and went north on I-91 to I-84 E at Hartford. To it's credit, CT is working hard on I-84, and east of Hartford it is fine road.

The more I travel, the more I wonder why anyone would surface a highway of concrete.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #5
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

The more I travel, the more I wonder why anyone would surface a highway of concrete.

I'm with you 100%.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
Since we've been in the middle of numerous traffic jams in the NYC/CT area, we usually will take the NY Thruway north to just below Albany. There is a cutoff to I90 East. Adds some tolls and time but much better ride.

So from NE PA, you would take 78 to 287 to 87 to 90. Then follow Monster99's directions from there.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I've been traveling from Pa to Maine for years, The best route for me is, Rt 84 to the Mass TP (90) to 495 to 95.......Bruce
Bruce and Sandy 07 42PDQ Scepter
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Not sure where in Northeast PA you live...but best route is Interstate 81 north into New York then Interstate 88 east from Binghamton, NY to Interstae 90 east thru Albany area and into MA...stay in interstate 90 and follow the excellent directions given by Monster99 on 2/28/2015 for the balance of the trip.

This will result in the least traffic but the MA/New Hampshire leg of the trip as you get closer to the coast will have heavy traffic right into Maine then things will improve slowly...coastal Maine routes are heavy traffic zones in tourist season (summer/fall).

Stay away from route 84 and Connecticut. Stay away from any route that brings you anywhere near NY City. This zone is the heaviest traffic zone in the country. Also note drivers in MA are the most agressive in the nation and the MA Pike (interstate 90) has the most road rage and speeding anywhere on the planet....don't even try to do the speed limit or they will run you off the road!

Enjoy your LOBSTER!!!
Enjoy Maine....the way life should be (once the tourists leave)
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 what Monster99 said. Depends on exactly where you are, will determine how you get to 84. One small change, take 691 beyond Waterbury, to 91 north and watch for signs to get back on 84 east. This will bypass Hartford, which is good to avoid. 84 is in much better shape than it was, and the Mass Pike (90) is not bad if you follow Monster's directions.
Must be Boomster has never taken 95 through Washington and Baltimore, as their drivers make MA look like amateurs. :-).
As he said, enjoy Maine, and the lobsters.

Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote