Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Best time for the Bad Lands

We are able to hit the road early June. Leaving Oregon, can anyone help with the best and worst times to arrive in the Bad Lands. We may be able to hold off till early fall if necessary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfarmer View Post
We are able to hit the road early June. Leaving Oregon, can anyone help with the best and worst times to arrive in the Bad Lands. We may be able to hold off till early fall if necessary.
First, there are badlands in quite a few places. If you mean Badlands National Park you should be able to get information about climate on their web page or by calling them.

It's quite hot there in the summer if I recall. I was there last October and it was chilly.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 AM   #3

Keep in mind that the 2016 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is August 8-14 and there will be hundreds of thousand of motorcycles all over the Rapid City/Black Hills/Badlands area.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
A good, or bad depending on your point of view, time to visit Custer State Park is the end of September. They have the annual Buffalo (I know, Bison, but they call it Buffalo) roundup the end of September. Very popular, and fairly crowded for a few days. We were there last year just after the roundup, and the park was very pleasant weather wise.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

Badlands Nat'l Park is not huge and can be done by driving from one end to the other in one day. This can be done at any time as you wouldn't be outside much. If you want to hike then stay in the park at their campground and tack on another day or two.

Each national park has an excellent nps website. Study them thoroughly for lots of good information. As mentioned, definitely avoid Sturgis rally time-period.

http://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

I hope this isn't your one and only destination for a trip. There are many nice things to see along the way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #6

I was in Rapid City last summer for 8 days the end of June beginning of July. The weather there was great but that could very easily be different.
Badlands is a day trip unless you're planning to do some hiking. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, all great sights to see.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Bad Lands Thanks

Thanks for the info, I will be looking at websites. This would be just one of many destinations we have planned in the area.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Andyfarmer,
Been to the Badlands NP many times. Hiked all over the park, seen the ranger presentation at the south entrance. If you are a windshield tourist, anytime is okay. If you are going to hike, May/June or Late September or Early October would be best. If you can, see the ranger presentation at the south entrance to the park. There is an amphitheater there where the presentation is given. I think only Alaska has a sky as dark as where the Badlands are. You will see more stars (truly awe inspiring) than thought possible. You can see Russian spy satellites fly over head. An evening to remember.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with Gary regarding times to visit and the incredible dark skies. Note that even on very hot days, the area cools down at night. If you can get a lot of windows open and run a fan off the battery, you can camp comfortably even I late June (we have done it a number of times).

As another "dark sky" place, go to Great Basin National Park or Joshua Tree National Park. Both are certified "dark sky" areas, and GBNP runs regular astronomy and telescope talks most nights.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you see some Buffalo in the badlands keep in mind what the buffalo said to his son when he went off to college.

Bison.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Andyfarmer,
I forgot to mention a little know but very historical place you may want to visit. On I 90 exit 131 is the eastern entrance to the Badlands. This exit also has the HQ for the Minuteman Missile NHS. Go to Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service) for information. This is an outstanding NHS. The only thing I can emphasize is one must make tour reservation well in advance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

https://www.nps.gov/badl/faqs.htm

if you are a hiker spring or fall is better as it gets hot in the summer.
after the park it is a short ways to walls drug the biggest tourist trap in s.d but is kind of fun