Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Best time to visit Glacier National Park?

Really thinking about planning a trip out to GNP next year, probably in the summer and was curious if there is was a best time to visit with weather, crowds, etc.

Also interested in routes, campground, etc.. any advice would be appreciated.

Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

There's lots of good information on the park's web site. Driving yourself (no long RVs) or taking the shuttle or tour bus is a must on the Going to the Sun Road in the park. However, that road is high elevation and has a limited opening time. This web site will give you information. It 'usually' opens, depending on weather, around mid-June and closes the first part of October. We've always stayed in the park campgrounds.

Going-to-the-Sun Road FAQs - Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Boostable,
Glacier is my favorite NP. Been there many times. In the interest of full disclosure, my hobby is day hiking. Glacier has quite a few outstanding day hike trails.
I stay on the east side of the park. The KOA in St. Mary's is my base camp. Go to St Mary, Montana Campground | St. Mary / East Glacier KOA for details. This KOA is about a mile or two from the east entrance to the NP. Trail heads for Grinnell Glacier and Iceberg lake (to name a few) are close by. For the high elevation trails the best time is the middle of July through September. On the east side you will have no crowds. The reason is there is nothing on the east side except the trails. St. Mary has a small grocery store, but that is about it. All the crowds and traffic is on the west side of the park.

Check the park's web site for winter snow fall totals. The more snow means the high elevation trails open quite late in the year. I've been there the week of July 4th and all high elevation trails were closed along with Going To The Sun Road.

If you go and hike, please have bear spray, bear horn and bear bells. Pay attention to the ranger bear warnings.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

We were a GNP in September this year. We wanted full hookups and stayed at Y Lazy R RV Park at East Glacier. Small grass park with full hookups for $28 per day. Only about 11 or so pull thru's but a lot more back in sites for other rigs. Used as base camp and drove everywhere from there. The max length for vehicles going through the park on "going to the sun road" is 21 feet and there are places where I think that length may be too long! We also visited Canada side of park as well. Although the place we stayed was nice, it was a lot of driving to go to all the places. We did drive through the GNP campground on the East side just about a mile inside the entrance gate. It is called St Mary's Campground. No hookups but will handle larger rigs on at least one of their loops (loop C and some on Lood B as did see some 40 footers on loop C). You can zoom in on Googlemaps.com and see the loops. We both discussed that if we ever return we'll see about staying in this campground as a lot closer to all the scenery saving driving time. Just don't like dry camping so much but no more time then we spent in the MH probably would be okay. We also drove by the Many Glacier Campground on Many Glacier Rd, but it is set up for smaller camping trailers or tents. We did see grizzly's and black bears driving up this road to Many Glacier Hotel and campground.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

I was there back in 09.... And if I recall late 70's before they

Last trip was in July sometime if I recall... Much earlier then that and I believe there is a chance all the roads will not be open due to snow. I would just plan on going during peak season which isn't very busy especially compared to Yellowstone

We stayed 4 nights on the west side of the park and 3 nights on the east side, I can't recall the name of the camping areas, neither were koa if I recall... The park on the west side had food .... Really good locally caught fish

The east side of the park was almost desert like, lack of trees which the west side we were in an ice thick forest....

do,you plan on doing hiking? Fishing? Backpacking? The Canadian side is worth the trip.

When we went in the 70's..l do not believe there were no length limits on the going to the sun highway.... Remembered thinking several times there is no was our 28ft RV will fit
Old 11-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

Going in Sep. is a good time. Kids are in school = less people in the park. Bears are munching on anything edible trying to put on as much fat as possible to get them through the winter; which means you'll see a lot of them during the day.
I would not recommend driving the Going to the Sun Highway, instead take the Blackfoot tribe minibus, which is enclosed and heated.
The red bus's are not heated for passenger area, and it get COLD, especially when raining and the driver will not stop to put the canvas top back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Boostable,
Glacier is my favorite NP. Been there many times. In the interest of full disclosure, my hobby is day hiking. Glacier has quite a few outstanding day hike trails.
I stay on the east side of the park. The KOA in St. Mary's is my base camp. Go to St Mary, Montana Campground | St. Mary / East Glacier KOA for details. This KOA is about a mile or two from the east entrance to the NP. Trail heads for Grinnell Glacier and Iceberg lake (to name a few) are close by. For the high elevation trails the best time is the middle of July through September. On the east side you will have no crowds. The reason is there is nothing on the east side except the trails. St. Mary has a small grocery store, but that is about it. All the crowds and traffic is on the west side of the park.

Check the park's web site for winter snow fall totals. The more snow means the high elevation trails open quite late in the year. I've been there the week of July 4th and all high elevation trails were closed along with Going To The Sun Road.

If you go and hike, please have bear spray, bear horn and bear bells. Pay attention to the ranger bear warnings.

We too prefer to stay on the East side of Glacier, much less touristy. The KOA is a great CG for big rigs too. If you carry a firearm in the RV, and plan to enter Canada to see Bantiff PP, the KOA has a safe upstairs and will store your weapon until your return. (that was in 05 though)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #7

Stayed on the south side. Glacier Meadow RV Park. June 27 I believe. The road thru the park had just been open the day before.

10 plus foot of snow along the side of the road at top. 3 to 5 foot of snow along the walks at the visitors center at the top.

On the road all the waterfalls were running large. Several times the water would run off the cliffs along the road and fall on the road and your car.

Was really something to see. Now the walk trails at the top were not open yet.

So my vote is late June. Or as soon as the road is open.

Russell
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
first thing that came to mind

"Best time to visit a Glacier National park"

Before they melt (I know I am bad)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We did the trip this year. Tried to time it so traffic wasn't bad and we got lucky. We went in the second day of season opening. Rode the Red Bus and highly recommend that or one of the guided tours! The road is very narrow and twisty and if you are driving you will miss a lot. Breathtaking place. This was our second try. Tried to make it in 2011 but snowed 6 inches on June 12 in Great Falls and had to cancel due to work schedule. We will be back!
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

We also stayed at Glacier Meadow RV park this year on May 25 for three nights. It was an unplanned stop on our way to Alaska. We didn't have reservations anywhere which made it nice.
We were just "winging it" across the US and Canada from New England. The three days there were perfect if you don't mind a little chill in the morning and warm afternoons. The grass was very green, mountains were snow capped and hummingbirds were on all the feeders, including ours. One afternoon we were able to pull back the top on the Jeep and enjoy the sunshine. The roads were fine, and no crowds. We saw moose, one grizzly and elk.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am sure I will have more questions as we get closer to making this trip happen. I will be sure to post those here.

Thanks again,

Jack
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #12

Was there may 2010 road was still closed

Tags
national