Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Best TX state parks for motorhomes?

We are looking for other great state parks in Texas besides Lake Livingston, which we love and to which we go pretty often - are there any as nice? Particularly would like to know your recommendations on ones within an hour or two of Houston. We have a 40’ motorhome. Thank you for any suggestions!
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

We recently visited both Garner State Park and Lost Maples. Garner is much more developed and has a lot of activities available such as canoe rentals, swimming and planned weekend activities centered around an old CCC building. We loved it. It has two large campgrounds. Lost Maples is fine too. A lot quieter, hiking being the main activity. We are in Houston, easy drive over through San Antonio and just going on I-10 or hwy 90?
tilfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #3

Oops sorry that is not within two hours. For that we go down to Galveston Beach State Park. Reservations are a must there. It is literally on the beach.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Lake Somerville SP (Birch Creek Unit) fits your bill exactly. It's a nice park!
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #5

You guys need to hit the road. Davis Mountain State Park is great.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post

We have a 42’ motorhome with toad. Do you have a favorite campsite number you like to book? (For instance we love #66 at Livingston). Thank you!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
brazoria county

we spend the whole summer between Quintana Beach County Park and San Luis Pass County Park RV parks. I love the beach and husband love to fish and crab.
burton822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #9

I've not been to any TX state park, but I have scoped out a number of them on Google Maps. Sea Rim SP on TX 87 out of Port Arthur has 5 back in and 10 pull thru sites which should easily handle your rig. Looks like all there is to do is enjoy the beach and hike a short walking trail, but I'll bet it is a quiet place to be. I plan on going there when in the area.

Have you tried the other side of Lake Livingston? Wolf Creek Park looks very promising, operated by the Trinty River Authority.

Charles
Old 02-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I've not been to any TX state park, but I have scoped out a number of them on Google Maps. Sea Rim SP on TX 87 out of Port Arthur has 5 back in and 10 pull thru sites which should easily handle your rig. Looks like all there is to do is enjoy the beach and hike a short walking trail, but I'll bet it is a quiet place to be. I plan on going there when in the area.

Have you tried the other side of Lake Livingston? Wolf Creek Park looks very promising, operated by the Trinty River Authority.

Charles

Sea Rim is excellent. You can actually camp on the beach if you want to. Otherwise the sites have electric and water. Only negative are mosquitoes from the surrounding marsh grass. I bring a screened tent so that I can eat outside of my my in the evening.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #11

Other SP

We are presently at San Angelo SP - wouldn't recommend it. But we were at McKinney Falls and Guadalope SP's and loved them both. 38' w/ toad.
rtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
We have a 42’ motorhome with toad. Do you have a favorite campsite number you like to book? (For instance we love #66 at Livingston). Thank you!
Might try 62 if no host in it. Sites 61 -69 have 50 amp and the rest have 30 amp.
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #13

Inks Lake SP is pretty nice.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post

We are there right now. When was the last time you were there? Much of it is closed, including the sites at Youpon next to the lake. We are really disappointed and will not be back. We have no view of the lake, nor are there any sites that do with all that’s closed. I guess there was a flood 3 years ago, and much has not been repaired. Also, there is no sewer connection and only 30 amp.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes