Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Newby wants to make reservations for next fall/winter. I have been trying to make online reservations by filling in form provided on campground websites. When submitted I get confirmation message stating,"....we will get back to you shortly." I never get a follow-up message from campground. I have even gone as far as to send a follow-up email to ensure that the completed reservation request form was received by them. But still no response.
I am curious if this is a common problem? Is telephone the only way to go?
I should mention that most of these campgrounds are highly recommended in rvparkreviews.com
One would think that a campground owner who choses to advertise on the web, would check incoming messages on a regular basis
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #2

Newby wants to make reservations for next fall/winter. I have been trying to make online reservations by filling in form provided on campground websites. When submitted I get confirmation message stating,"....we will get back to you shortly." I never get a follow-up message from campground. I have even gone as far as to send a follow-up email to ensure that the completed reservation request form was received by them. But still no response.
I am curious if this is a common problem? Is telephone the only way to go?
I should mention that most of these campgrounds are highly recommended in rvparkreviews.com
One would think that a campground owner who choses to advertise on the web, would check incoming messages on a regular basis
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Knock on wood", I haven't had any problems using websites for campground reservations. Although, when I've made reservations far in the future, I do follow up with the campground (via a phone call) a week or 2 before our arrival to be sure they're still expecting & have a spot for us.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Use the phone to make reservations, that way you are confident they have the correct info and payment is confirmed.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've always had good luck with making reservations via the web with no problems. I also follow up with a call to the campground a week or so before we arrive. The email is a paper confirmation and the call is insurance.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #6

I've never made reservaions online. I like to talk to the people on the phone and get the name of the person I'm talking to incase something does happen.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

Have you considered adding your comments to rvparkreviews about their lack of response to their online reservation system?
sixpack98 has the best method for reservations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
paz

If we have a choice, we will almost always call the campground directly. We have an internet satellite dish on top of our rig and we like to inquire about sites with an unobstructed view of the southern sky. We usually can't get that information online. This way, we also know right away we have a reservation and don't have to wait for an email confirmation, which might not come.

On the other hand, many state parks and the Corps of Engineers use one of the national reservation services such as Reserve America. In these cases, you usually don't have a choice and you must use the reservation service, either online or by phone. Even if you use the phone, you will be talking to the reservation service which will probably know nothing about the campground.

In the cases when we are going to a campground that uses a national reservation service and we're not familiar with the campground, we usually try to arrive early in the week and get a non-reservable site so we have some choice rather than using the internet to reserve a spot sight-unseen. The national reservation services do, however, usually provide immediate confirmation of your reservation so you don't have to wait for them to get back to you.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #9

Thank you all for your great advice. I have followed your suggestions and successfully made reservations by telephone. Still don't have responses to my emails, so I won't be using this method anymore.

Ray,IN
No,I hadn't thought about adding my comments to rvparkreviews. I would prefer to allow the offending campgrounds a chance to review,respond and/or correct any deficiencies before going public. I wouldn't want to turn someone off an otherwise great campground.

Happy Trails. Thank you all again.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
When reserving at the large chain branded CGs, I always us their reservations system, on the web. It has worked 100% of the time.

When reservine at independently branded CGs I use their web site first. If reserving when they are out of season, sometimes it takes a week for them to contact me for confirmation. However, my experience has been well over 90% satisfaction with independently branded CGs.

When making reservations having one week or less until arrival, I always use the telephone.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #11

I have decided that all reservations that I make will be by phone. I have had no problems receiving a conformation on line, the problem I have had, is being charged a different amount than listed on the CG's web site. One was almost $100 more than I expected. When I called, I was told it was a "special week" and that is why the charge was so much more. I was never told what made the week "special" as there were no events going on in the town or at the CG. Also, calling allows me to ask about the tax rate.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
When reserving at the large chain branded CGs, I always us their reservations system, on the web. It has worked 100% of the time.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...same here....on-line and never a problem. I dont have time for a rookie clerk on the phone.