Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Our first trip last year was to Steamboat Rock State Park in Eastern Washington. We'd booked two nights on their website.

The park was so overcrowded (two or three tents on just about every site) and the temperature was in the mid-90s. The heat had not been in the forecast.

After the first night, we decided to move on. We left a note at the Ranger/Check-in booth, wished them luck renting the site and left.

Big surprise a couple of days later, we got a credit card refund.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #16
Thanks for all of the replies. Of course I read the cancellation policy, but given the 42 day lead time, I just thought it wasn't like a last minute thing to cancel. I don't know, I guess if I don't like it, I should just look elsewhere. Thanks again everybody!!

adg8165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by adg8165 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Of course I read the cancellation policy, but given the 42 day lead time, I just thought it wasn't like a last minute thing to cancel. I don't know, I guess if I don't like it, I should just look elsewhere. Thanks again everybody!!
I think it is like a re stocking charge. Time in and time out for them to do paper work.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
I love you guys, but paperwork? Sheesh....
adg8165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I think it is more that you are paying for the time that the camp site was not available to rent to someone else. When was the last time you cancelled an airline ticket and got all your money back?
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just think of it as a cheap ($10) lesson learned....

Once a year I run & plan a ski trip for 32 people. You what to know all the cancellation policies I have to deal with for lodging, ground transportation, airlines and ski area.....Everything has multiple dates and amounts I will loss if I can't fill all 32 spots....In the end you know their are going to re-fill the spot anyway....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
Am I being unreasonable here?
The KOA cancellation policy printed is the same one that has been on their web site for a long time and is repeated in emails confirming reservations. It does not say anything about 30 days. Yes, it is unreasonable to expect them to make a special case for your cancellation, IMO.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
well u can do like we did is quite koa and u can make a big sign about what koa did to u and put it on the .back of your unit and take a pic and send it to koa .ur unit is a big build board ....lol...we stay anywhere but koa anymoore they are way expensive
stingray906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #23
KOA fee is cheaper than ReserveAmerica. There is a fee to book, a fee to change, a fee to cancel. Sometimes my plans don't work out and I will call and change a reservation. By calling I can cut out one the booking fee by changing my reservation instead of cancelling and booking a complete new reservation.

I know where you are coming from but I hate to say this but I thought you got off cheap with only the $10 charge.

This is not the case with you but it's not uncommon for people to book a range of dates, then later on select the actual dates and cancel the extra dates.
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL by Forest River / 2011 Toyota Tundra
Great Choice for "Living within my means" and Camping for one...
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
Originally Posted by skipwil View Post
I personally would Eat the $10 loss and NEVER use a KOA facility in the future. Nor would I ever miss a chance to express how I was treated; If felt as you do. I know it's the principle of the thing-so send the KOA customer service people your personal feeling about their policy. If all else fails stay in a wal-mart for the night. oh----sorry that's another thread. 'Course you understand this MY opinion.
Safe journeys...
I agree here:
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #25
Appalachian Campers
We have never had a pleasant experience with KOA and for that reason we just don't stay there any more - ever. In the few we first stayed at when we first got into RVing we found them to be overcrowded (very small sites), rude help, extra cost for everything, poor drainage in the CG.
Im regard to the $10 charge - I might put that into dispute on my credit card and see what the KOA had to say.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #26
I might alienate myself here... but I'm not sure why there is so much negative KOA sentiment. As rv enthusiasts we should be supporting all good campgrounds. I'm not pro KOA or anti KOA, I just love RVing. We have been to some great KOAs and some that didn't meet expectations. Some of them are more expensive than other campgrounds in the area, some are cheaper.

As we are a younger generation of RVers, we rely heavily in technology. We find ratings for our favorite campgrounds and won't stay or even try a new campground that doesn't get at least our minimum rating that we expect.

While I do respect people's right to an opinion and free speech, I wish we'd build more of a positive RV community and spread the word about the great RV companies and campgrounds, even if some of them are ones that we have personal gripes against.
Travel Blog | Twitter
TheBarbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
Alpine Owners Club
In my opinion KOA is over priced and good for one thing, a place to stay while traveling, I have not found one I would want to stay at for more than overnight, we only use KOA's when there is no other choice . One time we had a reservation and due to storms along our route could not get to the campground that night. I called by 2 PM and they refused to cancel, they charged us the full nights rate . I understand it is not their fault the weather was bad, but neither was it ours. That is 1 campground I will never use again.
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
Master of Disaster

I have generally found KOA's to be inexpensive and decent as campparking grounds (which seems to be faaaar too many places). They also have a quick and easy website when you are already on the road.

I've certainly stayed at nicer and cheaper places, but they are typically the exception and not the rule... most places are more than KOA.

SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote