Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
...it's not uncommon for people to book a range of dates, then later on select the actual dates and cancel the extra dates.
That's what used to happen with popular parks on holidays at Ohio State Parks. Once the window for a particular date would open (6mo prior), people would start 2wks prior to that & book the date range that would include the holiday, then cancel the majority of the 2wks & leave the holiday reserved. This "working the system" wasn't fair to those who would try to play by the rules & make reservations when the 6mo window opened for the actual holiday. The dept got wise to it & now you can't do this anymore. Also, OH SP's have a booking fee, a cancellation fee & a change fee depending on when you change/cancel. It can get costly so always read the fine print.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Once the window for a particular date would open (6mo prior), people would start 2wks prior to that & book the date range that would include the holiday, then cancel the majority of the 2wks & leave the holiday reserved. This "working the system" wasn't fair to those who would try to play by the rules & make reservations when the 6mo window opened for the actual holiday. The dept got wise to it & now you can't do this anymore. Also, OH SP's have a booking fee, a cancellation fee & a change fee depending on when you change/cancel. It can get costly so always read the fine print.
Lori, this is what was happening to me this past winter when I was trying to reserve a site inside the Smoky Mtn NP. I guess Reserve America who handles all 10 of the government campgrounds inside the park, lets this happen. I finally gave up. All the "good / level / shaded" sites were booked up always two extra weeks out. So I doubt people were going to be camping there for 2 weeks with out electric or shower facilities. they might just cancel 11 or 12 of their 14 days they reserved and keep the weekend they really wanted.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The same thing happens in California.
Why is it so easy to outsmart these people that operate these parks ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
The same thing happens in California.
Why is it so easy to outsmart these people that operate these parks ?

Answer:
Because most are not campers
Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
After being burned once by them I will never give KOA another penny.

I agree,... the KOA in West Yellowstone, I had a reservation for X dollars, when I arrived they charged me more.
Full park, what are you going to do? Avoid them from then on, that's what I do.
michigancamper
Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #34

I would say that not all KOA's are bad, but the one's that treat us poorly seem to set the tone for all. We have been to great KOA parks, that treat you great, they have worked with me on reservation's without paperwork or additional fees, just a simple email. Most are clean and friendly, and yes some not so much. My last poor KOA experience was earlier this year we were planning to visit in Memphis, booked into Memphis KOA ( actually in AR ) but due to flooding it appeared you could not get to town from the KOA? We too canceled and were charged the customary $10 that at the time did not sit well with me. Now that I have had time to think about it10 bucks is no big deal, they need to somehow insure your reservation will be credible. They do have a business to run. I guess all of us can determine prior to the stay if we are willing to pay their price for the night, for me it is how well they treat us when we arrive at the campground that determines if I will return no matter if KOA or other campground! That's the beauty of a MH, if we don't like something, we simply learn and move on!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
You are not alone; their camp grounds are way overpriced and what I have seen are mostly pretty well run down.
I agree we never use KOA. overpriced big time...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg8165 View Post
Cancellation Requirements for Deposit Refund
If you are unable to honor your reservation, call and cancel prior to these deadlines: * RV/Tent: 48 Hours - Notify KOA by 4 p.m. two days prior to arrival date. * Kabin: 7 Days - Notify KOA one week prior to arrival date. Reservations made after deadlines will require a non-refundable deposit.

Cancellation Charges
A $10 cancellation fee charged for cancellations made prior to deadline. Cancellations after deadline will result in forfeiture of all deposit. Holiday weekends, special events that require a minimum two night stay or more and KOA Kottage and Lodge reservations may have special deposit and cancellation requirements.

Am I being unreasonable here?
Well, according to what is written above in your post, YES, you are being unreasonable. It clearly states a $10 fee for early cancellation PRIOR to the posted deadlines.

I haven't stayed at any KOA nor have I even needed to. However, whenever I do make reservations at any RV park which is generally at the last minute, I ALWAYS ask what their cancellation policy is so that I completely understand what it will cost me if I change my mind.

By the way, there are a FEW KOA's that don't fall into the worst of the worst parks around the country. I happen to visit a fellow Workamper working at the Lake Placid, NY KOA in Wilmington only to discover an excellent RV park in the Adirondacks. This is in a location where you won't find too many around. There are lots of campgrounds but very few RV parks.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #37

I agree that there are bad and good campgrounds.....KOA's are no exception to that rule. We had a KOA booked in Arlington, TX because it was the closest to my brother's house(we were taking my parents to visit him). We left Kansas(where we live), stopped at another relative's in Oklahoma when the Joplin tornado hit. My parents(who live in Joplin) needed to get home right to assess the damage to their home. When I called the KOA and explained, they refunded the days we had booked even at such sort notice, no fee assessed. When we got to Joplin, had to stay at the KOA there, and they charged a much lower fee than even their discounted rate because of the disaster. They could have charged more because of the demand, but they went above and beyond for the people of Joplin, and those there to help. We will stay there again.
Side note: my parents' house was damaged but is being repaired. It wasn't flattened as homes so near to them were. We are thankful.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #38

Cancellation policy at our small 75 site primitive campground is $15.00
Best to READ or ASK about cancellation policies. It's called accountability!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #39

If you cancel anything 30+ days out you should not be subject to any fees. That's a BS policy IMO. If it were under 7 days I can understand the fee.

With that said I've had my best and worst RV' ING experiences at KOA campgrounds. I will continue to visit those campgrounds that were off the hook, and will never go to the rude Lyndon/bellingham Koa ever again.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We have never had a pleasant experience with KOA and for that reason we just don't stay there any more - ever. In the few we first stayed at when we first got into RVing we found them to be overcrowded (very small sites), rude help, extra cost for everything, poor drainage in the CG.
Im regard to the $10 charge - I might put that into dispute on my credit card and see what the KOA had to say.
What could be the possible reason for disputing the credit card charge? The OP even said he read and was aware of the cancellation fee at the time of booking. KOA is not doing something that wasn't disclosed up front. People may not like the fee but that is a misuse of the credit card challenge process and will only cause your bank to waste time on the bogus "dispute." Credit card disputes are for charges that were not authorized or for goods/services not delivered. Not for charges that were agreed to at the outset.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #41

Did the original poster reserve all three campgrounds for the same time?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICSO9131 View Post
If you cancel anything 30+ days out you should not be subject to any fees. That's a BS policy IMO. If it were under 7 days I can understand the fee.

With that said I've had my best and worst RV' ING experiences at KOA campgrounds. I will continue to visit those campgrounds that were off the hook, and will never go to the rude Lyndon/bellingham Koa ever again.
When you own your own campground, you might change your mind about what is a reasonable cancellation policy. What if they turned away other potential customers because of your reservation (and those customers booked elsewhere)? What makes 7 days reasonable for a fee but 30 days is not? Cancelling 30 or 42 days out doesn't mean they will make up that revenue or that they have not incurred some expenses in booking and cancelling the reservation. The OP doesn't say how long those reservations were on the books, either. I have made campground reservations almost 12 months in advance at times. If I had cancelled 30 days out, my pending reservations for the other 11 months would have impacted the CG's ability to accept other reservations during the same period.

If you ever check into vacation home rentals, for example, they all require heavy deposits (50%) at the time of reservations and payment in full 30-45 days in front of the visit. Once the payment is made, there are NO REFUNDS at all. Imagine paying a few thousand dollars for a week or two rental home and getting no refund 30 days out. $10 cancellation fee? Not worth complaining about if it was disclosed. Sure, we would all like to have people waive policies and make exceptions "just for me" and when that occurs, consider it a gift or a bonus. But don't complain about not getting something you weren't entitled to. Not wrong to ask for a waiver but, IMHO, wrong to complain about not getting special treatment.