Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #43
I've stayed in some nice parks and the price is just enough to cover the cost of the electric I use. I can't believe $10 would hurt anyone. It wasn't their fault you canceled. I'm surprised some parks will reserve you a spot but won't charge you until you get there. I've never run in to a problem. The only problem I ever had was always my fault. I've never had a reservation and got there and they didn't have a spot for me. I can't see how some parks stay in biusness.

Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #44
Winnebago Owners Club
Just this past winter I reserved a spot in south FL for a month, had to cancell 2 weeks in advance due to a new law inacted in FL for health care workers & the time alotted by FL to do a background check. We were unaware of this policy. We also had just completed the same background check less than a year earlier. In the end we lost our $600 deposit & were cleared to work in the state 30 days later. By this time we already were in Baltimore working. Our fault, our loss. $10, I wish.

Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #45
Almost $300 for a tank of gas makes it hard for me to worry about a $10 cancellation fee. Many upscale hotels are now offering discount rates on reservations which are non-cancellable. Regular price applies to reservations with a cancellation option, and there may still be a fee.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #46
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
KOA fee is cheaper than ReserveAmerica. There is a fee to book, a fee to change, a fee to cancel. Sometimes my plans don't work out and I will call and change a reservation. By calling I can cut out one the booking fee by changing my reservation instead of cancelling and booking a complete new reservation.

I know where you are coming from but I hate to say this but I thought you got off cheap with only the $10 charge.

This is not the case with you but it's not uncommon for people to book a range of dates, then later on select the actual dates and cancel the extra dates.

1991 32' Winnebago Itasca
bought used in 2009 - our first
Ken-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #47
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post

I agree,... the KOA in West Yellowstone, I had a reservation for X dollars, when I arrived they charged me more.
Full park, what are you going to do? Avoid them from then on, that's what I do.
Been there once, will never be back! Mosquitoes were so thick you couldn't even stay outside. Friends were charged extra for each child, then the park refused to let them use the swimming pool and kicked them out of the game room.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #48
Wow. Never thought that KOA had so many issues. But anyway, I made these reservations on May 30, 2011. I cancelled them 42 days later. Ironically, 42 days before the check in date. I didn't block them out a year in advance and tie up their reservation system. I guess shame on me for not really reading the fine print on cancellations. Not that it would have changed my mind, because this particular campground comes highly recommended. The policy was restated in the e-mailed confirmation they sent me after I made the reservation. But what they have inadvertently done, is stop me from recommending the campground at all to anyone because of this policy. Any KOA, in fact. And I'm certainly not going to stand there and recite their cancellation policy to prospective campers.

Look, that time of year up there is peak. If they can't rent out that site during August, they've got some bigger problems. This is all said on a realistic basis. Again, I know shame on me for not reading the fine print, but as another member stated, even most hotels don't charge a cancellation policy that far out.

KOA policy, I guess, but come on....
adg8165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #49
We generally prefer to camp at state or Federal parks, but we've camped at private campgrounds, too, including some KOA campgrounds. This summer we made reservations at a State Park, and later decided to extend the stay by one night. All was paid in advance via credit card. After we arrived we found that we had to leave according to the original schedule. The cancellation penalty was one night's fee plus $5.00. We just left according to our original plan. Whether they rented that spot or not was of no concern to us. Had we known a month prior that we wouldn't need that extra night we could have just stuck with the original plan. Oh well, that $20 (or whatever that one night cost) won't break us. Canceling would have cost us more.

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote