Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Beware The KOA Cancellation Policy!!

I thought I'd share this with you all. In my planning of my summer trip in August, I had to cancel one of the three KOA's I had booked. I was to check in on 8/22/11. It is July 11. They refunded my deposit less $10! The way I figure it. I am still about 42 days away from the check in date. When I questioned the Chocorua KOA about this, they claimed it was KOA policy. I called KOA, and they informed me that it was KOA policy, however, they leave it up to each owner whether or not to charge the fee. I am currently waiting for a KOA supervisor to return my second request for an answer. After the first request, someone from KOA sent me a rehash of their policy.

Look, I totally understand canceling a reservation in either a hotel, campground, whatever within 30 days. But, 42 days? Read the cancellation policy below from Chocorua KOA, and see what I mean.

KOA SYSTEM RESERVATION/CANCELLATION POLICY
Reservation Guarantee Deposit
A credit card deposit equal to the registration charges for your first night is required to guarantee a reservation. Deposit charged at time of reservation.

Cancellation Requirements for Deposit Refund
If you are unable to honor your reservation, call and cancel prior to these deadlines: * RV/Tent: 48 Hours - Notify KOA by 4 p.m. two days prior to arrival date. * Kabin: 7 Days - Notify KOA one week prior to arrival date. Reservations made after deadlines will require a non-refundable deposit.

Cancellation Charges
A $10 cancellation fee charged for cancellations made prior to deadline. Cancellations after deadline will result in forfeiture of all deposit. Holiday weekends, special events that require a minimum two night stay or more and KOA Kottage and Lodge reservations may have special deposit and cancellation requirements.

Am I being unreasonable here?
adg8165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

I have been RVing since 1972 and fulltimed over ten years. I don't know how many campgrounds I have stayed in. Many campgrounds have cancellation policies and I always ask the amount of the deposit (if any) and the cancellation rules and fees. If I don't like their rules and fees I don't make a reservation. If I accept their rules and fees I live up to my end of the deal.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Besides the majority of their parks are out of date this is another reason we don't use KOA. It also irks me when they charge a guest fee if you have someone come and visit your campsite.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
After being burned once by them I will never give KOA another penny.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
After being burned once by them I will never give KOA another penny.
You are not alone; their camp grounds are way overpriced and what I have seen are mostly pretty well run down.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I personally would Eat the $10 loss and NEVER use a KOA facility in the future. Nor would I ever miss a chance to express how I was treated; If felt as you do. I know it's the principle of the thing-so send the KOA customer service people your personal feeling about their policy. If all else fails stay in a wal-mart for the night. oh----sorry that's another thread. 'Course you understand this MY opinion.
Safe journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you not read the cancellation policy before making the reservations ???
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
You are not alone; their camp grounds are way overpriced and what I have seen are mostly pretty well run down.
I have seen a few parks that are now owned by Care Free RV Resorts that look a lot like older KOA's with the unmistakable A frame office building. I'm staying at one now and really like their management. They are presently upgrading the electrical system and because of the electrical work will be repaving the inner roads.

I don't know if it's Care Free's business plan to buy up older KOA's but it sure would be a positive move for RV'ers.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #9

I don't find 1 $10 fee to be unreasonable. It may well be used to discourage people from making many reservations and then cancelling all but the one that they finally choose. They also may have to pay some fee to the credit card companies - now THOSE guys are the real sharks in the financial waters.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #10

This is no different than most campgrounds. In fact, some won't refund anything. Read the fine print. I've stayed in some great KOA's and some not so good - same as other campgrounds.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Campground in MA cape cod area has a $25.00 penelty for cancel even if you cancel same day you booked. KOA is a fair as any IMO. In booked KOA ST Petersburg Florida, checked in had to check out same day and they refunded all my money 100%.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Read the rules, if you don't like them don't stay there. It's very simple. KOA (Keep On Adding) did exactly what their site says, nothing more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
The cancellation fee of $10 seems reasonable to me as it probably covers a processing fee.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't like it, but I don't see it as unreasonable. Like bluepill stated, they're discouraging people from blocking out multiple sites & then cancelling the ones they don't want at the last minute. I'm sure the sites won't go unoccupied & the CG will get not only the new reservation's money but your cancellation fee as well, but the CG wants to cover their "perceived possible" loss.

I don't think I've ever stayed at a campground that didn't have a cancellation fee. I always make sure I read the terms & conditions, especially the cancellation policy, prior to making reservations. If I choose to make reservations, then I agree to the policy & can't buck it.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote