Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Big Bend National Park

We'll be driving across I-10 in the next couple of weeks and are considering detouring to Big Bend for a few days. Does anyone have experience of being there at this time of year? Anything particular to be aware of, other than the remote location and proximity to the Mexican border?

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Should you decide that Big Bend is too far south of I-10, you might also consider Davis Mountains State Park just outside Fort Davis, TX. We were there earlier this month, and the mountains were as green as I've ever seen them. It's located just about 35 miles south of Balmorhea.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There 2 yr ago mid Oct (after the Balloon Fiesta), weather was great. Check out the swiming pool at Balmorhea SP, FT Davis and Marfa. We stayed at Stillwell Ranch (North Entrance) Did the park with the Toad. Also checkout the goast town at Terlingua.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Big Bend is a National Park........we never miss visiting a National Park.....even Guardalupe National Park in Texas....not as pretty as Big Ben, but it's our (yours and mine) National Park. We have been to about 20 National parks and they never disappoint.
We visited both places this June....lots and lots of boarder guards patrolling the everything south of I-10
We stayed at a PA campground in Marathon TX run in conjunction with a motel ....closest to Big Bend as you will get for a very reasonable RV park
corjaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Does anyone have experience of being there at this time of year? Anything particular to be aware of, other than the remote location and proximity to the Mexican border?
We like Lajitas, TX and the State Park. Maverick RV Park at Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa is great. We like to mtn bike in the state park. Last spring the hiking trails in the Natl Park were closed because a mtn lion munched a small child.
Maverick Ranch Page 2 - Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa - Lajitas, Texas, United States
CURRENTLY MOTORHOMELESS!-Past MHs: 02 Monaco45'Sig,00Monaco43'Sig,99Monaco42'Exec,98Mona co42'Sig,98Newmar38'DSDP(pictured),88FW26'Jamboree .
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
was there in Feb about 8 years ago. IMO it is a must see and take your RV in and spend a few days.
Mike S.E. Ohio
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Big Bend is Big Country and is very remote. I wouldn't worry too much about being close to the border. It is also remote on the other side of the Rio Grande.

I do second the mention of Ft. Davis area. We stayed there in the State Park and saw the McDonald Observatory and drove to several towns in the area. Nice, relaxing time.

Be safe.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
We've been to Big Bend a few times and our most memorable was the beginning of November when the cottonwoods were golden and the weather perfect. We have always stayed IN the park at Rio Grande Village campground. Distances are too great to stay outside the park. Have the majority of supplies onboard because there's only a small general store for necessities. You absolutely have nothing to worry about being at the border. The tiny village of Boquillas is a "sister" to the national park. Enjoy your stay...it's a beauty!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Re: Vist to Big Bend.

Gotta tell ya, one of our MOST memorable places to visit was Big Bend. We've been real full timers since 05, and, except for perhaps our first trip to Alaska, our stay down in Study Butte (just outside SW entrance to the park..see map) was for some reason...almost magical. We'd tour various areas of the park or Terlingua, etc., from our campground each day (well most days) and would usually be back for sunset. Can't explain it, but recalling those wonderful rusty-red sunsets looking West from our rig, over the rough old corral with the broken windmill above it, and the braying jackasses, was one of the very top highlights of our entire RV'ing experience....at least so far. DON'T MISS IT !!!!!

Steve & Lynette
2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
I have only gone to Big Bend on my motorcycle. If I was full time, and coming from the east on IH10, I would come into San Antonio and take Hwy 90 west to Del Rio, Langtry...over to Marathon. Take 385 south. Go to the Stillwell Ranch and beyoud to the border on 2627. Stop at bridge and wave at Mexican guard. He is the one with the machine gun...

Retrace to 385 and continue to Park Headquarters. Take the road to your left down to Rio Grande Village...stay over night at RV park. Go back to Hq and take Toad to Chisos Basin...road too narrow for RV over 18' or so..have great lunch. Then continue to Study Butte, with side trip to Santa Elena Canyon and walk across river to Mexico....some do, I don't, but 30' feet across and 1 foot deep...sometimes. Beautiful. Then take hwy 170 and stop often...too much to print here. Stay at Lajitas or stop. After Presidio on up to Marfa.

Plan two or three days if you really want to see it. No problem with the Mexicans along the route...however I would not camp along the road. Have great trip...

If coming from the west, retrace backwards...and see the suggestions in previous posts...lots to see. Refuel often....if you breakdown...little to no cell service in most places....have water and food, ya never know...

USAF Ret. Sony Corp. Ret.
1999 Bounder 34J, Ford V10
Boerne, TX
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote