Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Big Bend NP - Chisos Basin Campground

Planning a trip to Big Bend this fall or next spring and looking for information. I would like to stay at Chisos Basin Campground but the NP website says "Trailers over 20' and RV's over 24' are not recommended due to narrow, winding road to the Basin and small campsites at this campground." My trailer is 24' bumper to ball and my truck is 19 1/2'. I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed at the campground and their thoughts about the road. I have found that recommendations from the NPS seem to be very conservative so my though is that I would be ok.

Thanks,
Ed
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #2

towed my 28' trailer down there from DFW last year. I didnt get a spot in that area because several posters said it would be too tight for a trailer the size of mine. we went over there for a day trip and I have to agree. the road is narrow and twisty. we stayed at lajitas for the extra amenities.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #3

Call the park and ask. We drove up there to do some hiking and yes, the road is twisty and narrow & the sites small.

Rio Grande Village has some very nice shaded sites in the dry camping section (our favorite) and there is a hookup section. It's getting hot in Big Bend now. A wonderful time to go is in November when the cottonwoods are brilliant yellow against the blue sky! Cottonwood campground is pretty in November as is Rio Grande campground.

Here are some photos of Chisos:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg.../chisos-basin/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

We stayed at Chisos in February. One of the staff mentioned that when the camp host(s) come in with their large rigs, thay have to go ahead of them to stop traffic. They take up the whole road in spots.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #5

We've camped in The Basin multiple times over the years but with a 19' Scamp and a Tacoma double cab. There are a few curves where you'll be over the center line no matter what size camper you have. I think finding a site that will accommodate a trailer the size of yours will be a bigger problem than getting up to the campground. There are spots where you will fit but they may not be available. My suggestion would be to drop your camper at the small lot on the right as you turn onto the road to The Basin and drive up to check out the campground.

The Basin is a great setting but don't discount Rio Grande Village (the one managed by the NPS and not the commercial cg with hookups) or Cottonwood. You'll likely have more elbow room in either of those. Big Bend is a huge Park so we usually spend a few days in each of the three campgrounds when we're there.

Have fun, its one of our favorite Parks.
huachuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been camping and then busy with some home projects so I haven't had a chance to respond. Just starting to plan this trip, if we go this fall it will be just before they accept reservations so I don't need to know exactly where we will be camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huachuca View Post
we usually spend a few days in each of the three campgrounds when we're there.
This is what I was hoping to do but it doesn't sound like it will happen like that, just have to drive there & back each day.
Thanks for the info.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground