Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
When measuring your height remember to include the AC & anything else that sticks up over the roof.
Definitely going to conquer a fear of heights in next few days getting on roof for ac measurements. Lol might call a neighbor to do it haha.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #16

We camp at Big Meadows quite often. Bikes are definitely a plus around the campground for the kids to ride. Also there is a pavement Hiking/Bike path from the campground up to the store/nature historical visitors center there at Big Meadows. We ride our bikes to the store often with the kids to get the homemade blackberry ice cream and cobbler. Gotta stop in and get some every time we go. You'll love your stay. Gorgeous views, and a lot of trails if you guys like hiking. Have fun.
QuickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #17

I agree with some others that suggested renting a car once you are in the area. There are some hikes right off of Big Meadows, but there are other great hikes within a short drive from campground. We were just there 2 weekends ago and hiked BearFence Rock Scramble and had a blast, which was a 5 mile drive from the campground.

dave
Hokie-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie-Dave View Post
I agree with some others that suggested renting a car once you are in the area. There are some hikes right off of Big Meadows, but there are other great hikes within a short drive from campground. We were just there 2 weekends ago and hiked BearFence Rock Scramble and had a blast, which was a 5 mile drive from the campground.

dave
Thanks for the suggestion on the hike. We decided to drive separately so we will have a car. We are also staying 3 nights at Canaan valley West Virginia so driving separate makes sense vs renting.

Is the Bear fence hike something that I could take twin 3 year olds on?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomike View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on the hike. We decided to drive separately so we will have a car. We are also staying 3 nights at Canaan valley West Virginia so driving separate makes sense vs renting.

YW. I probably wouldn't take the 3 year olds on that one but I did see quite a few small kids on the hike. But there is another trail that parallels it that is the alternate way if you don't want to do the rock scramble.

Dark Hollow Falls is a nice hike also. Here is a page with the different hikes and the mile markers where the trailheads start. It shows the difficulty and length.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...ortunities.htm

dave
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Haven't been to Big Meadow for quite a few years now since we moved away, but used to go several times a Summer. Loved that place.

I once let our family of four with one four year old trek down a trail to a water fall. My four year old son ran out of steam on the way up and I ended up carrying him up the mountain. Won't do that one again.

Also we were once out in the meadow picking wild strawberries when we noticed another family joining us. They were BEARS! The berries were good, but not that good.

BTW, the Appalachian Trail runs through there. Plenty of hiking for all.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Quote:
YW. I probably wouldn't take the 3 year olds on that one but I did see quite a few small kids on the hike.
I agree with Hokie-Dave on that. Although the view is fantastic at top, there are just too many places that a 3 year old could fall at the rock scramble.
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #22

Sounds food I’ll skip the rocky scramble with the boys. I’ll probably start with the easier stuff and work our way up. I’m sure even the easier hikes are really nice views and a lot of fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions we are looking forward to this trip.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I am heading to stay at big meadows next month. Are there any bike paths at the park or near campground or should I just leave bikes and plan to hike?

I’m also planning on not bringing another vehicle. It appears my Ace should be able to go through the entire Skyline Drive route. We don’t have a dolly or car suitable to flat tow and won’t have one in time. Has anyone driven the drive with a motorhome and if so any issues?

The campground is on a slight hill. Bike-able, but a little harder for kids.
The main road into the campground (3/4 of a mile) is somewhat flat and has a bike path. So you can bike up to the visitor center and store. I would not bike on Skyline Drive unless you are a regular commuter bikes as the road offer very little shoulder.

We also stayed at Loft Mtn Campground 30 minutes south on the Skyline drive. That one the campground is a little more level. But only the campground. The access road is downhill.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
The campground is on a slight hill. Bike-able, but a little harder for kids.
The main road into the campground (3/4 of a mile) is somewhat flat and has a bike path. So you can bike up to the visitor center and store. I would not bike on Skyline Drive unless you are a regular commuter bikes as the road offer very little shoulder.

We also stayed at Loft Mtn Campground 30 minutes south on the Skyline drive. That one the campground is a little more level. But only the campground. The access road is downhill.
Thanks sounds like within campground and the access road there should be plenty for the kids. We plan to hike mornings and relax in afternoons.

Would we be able to drive the skyline drive in a minivan in one day?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks sounds like within campground and the access road there should be plenty for the kids. We plan to hike mornings and relax in afternoons.

Would we be able to drive the skyline drive in a minivan in one day?
Sure you can drive it in one day. Just give yourself time because you are going to want to pull off on all the overlooks to take in the sights and take pictures. It will take a while if you are planning on driving the whole thing as Skyline Drive is a 35MPH road. I would definitely take things for the boys to keep them occupied in the car, they WILL get bored!

dave
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Sure you can drive it in one day. Just give yourself time because you are going to want to pull off on all the overlooks to take in the sights and take pictures. It will take a while if you are planning on driving the whole thing as Skyline Drive is a 35MPH road. I would definitely take things for the boys to keep them occupied in the car, they WILL get bored!

dave
Awesome. I’ll probably just split it into two days. Make life easier and then we can pick a hike in northern and southern areas of park.

Tags
national