Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,079
Big River Ca

Anyone have information on the Big River RV Park. Big River Ca. Thinking of staying in the Parker Az area mid Jan thru March. 2014
__________________

__________________
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
I stay in the area, Parker Dam CA. haven't been into the Big River Park.
There are 13 RV parks on the CA side of the Colorado River within 14 miles of Parker AZ. All are older, probably first set up in the 50's early 60's, not sure about site size and power ; if any sites have been upgraded to 50 amp. Some very good pictures of the area on Google Maps. I can see all the sites in the park I say at in the satellite photos.
Google , didn't do street view through the parks though.
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
Just went through the photos and street view of the area ; couldn't get close to the park on the street view.
Sites look small , but looks like they all have some grass, and sat. photos may be from last summer, where up the river at the park where I stay they are from Feb 2013.
Beautiful downtown Big River, isn't much to look at , looks like the major industry is RV and boat storage, common for the area.
DW says, that area is way to flat for her liking , she prefers the valley up near the dam where we stay.
The Blue Water Casino, 1 1/2 miles east of Parker, was allowing RV parking and has a park of sorts , if you want a place to pull into for a day or two so you can look around.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
chboone's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Horse Town USA, CA.
Posts: 2,933
Here are some older reviews of the park.

Big River (California ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Chuck
__________________
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Just went through the photos and street view of the area ; couldn't get close to the park on the street view.
Sites look small , but looks like they all have some grass, and sat. photos may be from last summer, where up the river at the park where I stay they are from Feb 2013.
Beautiful downtown Big River, isn't much to look at , looks like the major industry is RV and boat storage, common for the area.
DW says, that area is way to flat for her liking , she prefers the valley up near the dam where we stay.
The Blue Water Casino, 1 1/2 miles east of Parker, was allowing RV parking and has a park of sorts , if you want a place to pull into for a day or two so you can look around.
I'm looking for a park to stay at for 45 days or so this winter. We then would do day trips to Havasu & Quatrzsite & etc. have a sister Barstow Need to show up over there for a couple days too.
__________________
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Here are some older reviews of the park.

Big River (California ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Chuck
Thanks. Right now we are just looking around. I though we might save a little by staying 30 or so in one park as we will be in the area. Never reserved anything before. We just stay where we end up. May just do that again.
__________________
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I stay in the area, Parker Dam CA. haven't been into the Big River Park.
There are 13 RV parks on the CA side of the Colorado River within 14 miles of Parker AZ. All are older, probably first set up in the 50's early 60's, not sure about site size and power ; if any sites have been upgraded to 50 amp. Some very good pictures of the area on Google Maps. I can see all the sites in the park I say at in the satellite photos.
Google , didn't do street view through the parks though.
What is the phone service like near Parker Dam (Verizon).
__________________
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
What is the phone service like near Parker Dam (Verizon).
Never had a problem , close to Parker, in the flat areas. At Parker Dam in the valley where our park is , I use an network extender, with my cable internet. Spotty service due to canyon walls and rock out crops.
Lake Havasu City, is a PIA, Verizon contracts to Mohave Wireless towers, and calls in that area, particularly long distance can take forever to connect.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Member
 
Robertandkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 74
I live in the Parker area so I know it well. Most of the RV resorts are north of Parker ( Big River Resort is south of Parker). Most of the amenities are on the Arizona side of the river (gas stations, stores, restaurants etc.) there is an 18 mile section of the river that starts at the Blue Water Casino and goes north to Parker Dam. This section of the river is referred to as "The Parker Strip". There are several large resorts along this stretch, Pirates Den (the newest) La Paz County Park, and Castle Rock Resort. There is also Buckskin and river Island State Parks, but I think they have limited stay requirements. These are all on the Arizona side. There are many more smaller resorts. This area caters to snowbirds with most restaurants and bars offering daily specials. I'm not that familiar with the California side except for River Lodge Resort up by the dam. It's an older resort, but very nice with big trees. My wife use to go there to do yoga at the Yoga House. The busiest season is from January to March. Most of the resorts fill up at that time, but I'm sure you can find something if you don't have a reservation. Quartzite is about 45 minutes from Parker, so an easy day trip. Also, no RV 's across Parker Dam since 9/11. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I've had a vacation home in Parker since 1977 and moved here full time in 2011.
__________________
Robertandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertandkim View Post
I live in the Parker area so I know it well. Most of the RV resorts are north of Parker ( Big River Resort is south of Parker). Most of the amenities are on the Arizona side of the river (gas stations, stores, restaurants etc.) there is an 18 mile section of the river that starts at the Blue Water Casino and goes north to Parker Dam. This section of the river is referred to as "The Parker Strip". There are several large resorts along this stretch, Pirates Den (the newest) La Paz County Park, and Castle Rock Resort. There is also Buckskin and river Island State Parks, but I think they have limited stay requirements. These are all on the Arizona side. There are many more smaller resorts. This area caters to snowbirds with most restaurants and bars offering daily specials. I'm not that familiar with the California side except for River Lodge Resort up by the dam. It's an older resort, but very nice with big trees. My wife use to go there to do yoga at the Yoga House. The busiest season is from January to March. Most of the resorts fill up at that time, but I'm sure you can find something if you don't have a reservation. Quartzite is about 45 minutes from Parker, so an easy day trip. Also, no RV 's across Parker Dam since 9/11. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I've had a vacation home in Parker since 1977 and moved here full time in 2011.
Great info. Thanks
__________________

__________________
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.