Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Biltmore Estate, NC Parking? Nearby Campground?

We will be traveling from NJ to Pigeon Forge, TN. We are thinking of leaving a day early to stop at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC. We are driving a 43ft motorhome and towing a car. Is there bus/motorhome parking available at the Biltmore? Not for overnight, just to tour it?

Also are there any decent campgrounds close to the Biltmore for a 1 night stay, or even a (safe) Walmart that allows overnight parking?

We are staying in Dandridge TN which is about 1.5 hours away, but I am afraid to go to Biltmore as a day trip from there as it will be a long time to leave the dog in the MH, especially if we hit any traffic.

I appreciate any thoughts or info.
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Visiting the Biltmore is a full day. I do mean a full day. Parking at the Biltmore with a coach is possible but very inconvenient. Consider a local CG. I can not help with that selection.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I would not recommend driving from Daindridge to Biltmore by car as previously stated there is a lot to see. I would not try to drive RV there with toad either.

The campground that sounds the best to me would be Asheville Bear Creek RV Park which is listed in Good Sam Guide and it is close to Biltmore. As far as Walmarts go I doubt that any walmart in Asheville would allow overnight parking but I don't know for sure. There also is Mama Gerties Hideaway campground.

The above info is a guestimate on my part as I live 2 hours away and drive there by car.

When heading for Pigeon Forge from there I would suggest you follow Route 40 to Route 74 (Exit 27) and follow that to exit 74 which is Route 441 and follow that through Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l park and then take the bypass into Pigeon Forge. The campgrounds in Pigeon Forge that i recommend are Waldens Creek, Creekside or Kings Holly Haven.

Good luck and enjoy our mountains.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. We are staying at Anchor Down and River Plantation. We are looking forward to our trip.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

The campground that sounds the best to me would be Asheville Bear Creek RV Park which is listed in Good Sam Guide and it is close to Biltmore. As far as Walmarts go I doubt that any walmart in Asheville would allow overnight parking but I don't know for sure. There also is Mama Gerties Hideaway campground.

:
Bear Creek is Very close to both I-40 and I-26. Twisty road up to the campground, but they have drive-through slots. Clean showers, lots of room to walk your dog, nice people.

Closest WalMart to Biltmore is going south on SR25 towards Hendersonville. I don't know their policy about parking.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #6

When we visited Biltmore, we stayed at Bear Creek also... very convenient to the interstate .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

there is a koa right on I-40 before Ashville exit 38 or so can't remember the # but only 10 or 15 mi.to bilt.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 AM   #8

4pawskingdom.com is a campground for dogs only in Rutherfordton, NC and is about 35 minutes from the Biltmore and about 20 minutes from Lake Lure, where they filmed Dirty Dancing. No worries about leaving the dog for the day, for 5 or 10 dollars they will walk your dog(s). I stay there often with my Corgi. If I know I will be gone for a long time, I leave the key in case anything happens, ig: power loss for the a/c, storms etc. Also, always leave your cell phone number.
CorgiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #9

There is a great COE park in Asheville NC called Lake Powhatan. We stayed there for 5 nights and did the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding sites. If you have a golden age passport or a senior pass the park rates are ½ price. The campground does have some full hook-up sites but these are all back-in and cell reception is spotty. For the most part the sites are large and level with fire rings they do have pull thru sites also the park is very highly rated on RV park reviews usually 9 out 10 on the scale.

Jim W.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

I totally recommend mama gerties hideaway campground, especially if you can get any of the higher sites (27-32). I stayed at site 32 and the view is fantastic
Usroverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
ChrisinNJ,
If you are going from the Biltmore area to Anchor Down, take I26 to I40 west. That is the best way to get to Anchor Down. To get to River Plantation from Anchor Down is a short ride to RT 66 and then RT 66 toward Sevierville. One will need to turn left into River Plantation. After you make the hard right turn on Rt 66, get in the left lane. River Plantation will be just over the hill, on the left.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
ChrisinNJ,
If you are going from the Biltmore area to Anchor Down, take I26 to I40 west. That is the best way to get to Anchor Down. To get to River Plantation from Anchor Down is a short ride to RT 66 and then RT 66 toward Sevierville. One will need to turn left into River Plantation. After you make the hard right turn on Rt 66, get in the left lane. River Plantation will be just over the hill, on the left.

Thanks, we are back now and it was a great trip. Anchor down was so beautiful that we ended up cancelling River Plantation and spent 8 nights at Anchor Down instead. I only with Anchor Down was closer to home, I would be there all the time!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Just returned from Biltmore/Asheville last weekend. We stayed 40 mi away at Mountain Falls RV resort. Very nice but long drive to Biltmore. One hint for Biltmore. Tickets are $59 ea (ouch) but there are a lot of different tours, a grounds tour, a behind the scenes Butler's tour, an architect's tour, visit the winery. You can buy a second day for an extra $10. If you want to see a bunch of neat stuff consider buying the second day. There is extensive biking and walking trails also. The fall colors should be awesome this weekend and next.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #14

Lake Powhatan is a nice place to stay while in Asheville. Can handle some big rigs and has full hookups for $21.50 with senior pass. Close to the Blueridge and not to far from the Biltmore and great for biking!!
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground