Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #1

Blue Ridge Mountains

Hi all, we are going to be taking a month trip with the RV through the eastern states in April. We will be in the Blue Ridge Mountains for about a week. Any suggestions on things to see, to avoid and where to stay while driving through Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
A nice place to stay!

FrankAn,

I wondered into Creekwood Farm Campground in Waynesville, NC early this past summer and loved it. I stayed 3-4 months. Beautiful Jonathan Creek runs thru the "on-river" sites which have trout!! (Golf and motorcycling are big here also)
The weather is mild, cool in the evenings, great site seeing in the local US Forrest Service State parks.. Elk are open and visible every evening just across the highway in the Great Smokey Mtn.'s National Park.. Maggie Valley and Waynesville (both 10 mins. away) .. along with Asheville (30 minutes away) offer great dining, entertainment.
Best wishes,
Ed

HAM Radio Operator - N4EDX
ed mulvaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

IMHO, Motorhomes / large RVs don't belong on the BRP, and if you decide to drive it in a MH you are putting your coach / RV and other drivers at risk, as well as just being inconsiderate to others trying to enjoy the road. It was built as a touring road for cars.......

Large trucks are not allowed (which tells you something, and I can not figure out why they have not put other large vehicle restrictions in place....), and given that, trees hang well over the roadway in many places since trucks don't trim them back. So either your coach gets scratched by the trees that overhang, or you are often driving over the centerline putting oncoming traffic at risk.

Then there are the tunnels. If you don't want to rip the top of your coach off, you again have to drive over the centerline. And keep in mind, that some of the tunnels are curved, so the oncoming traffic has no idea until it it too late that half their lane has your RV it.

So, if you are fine with the chance that you could cause a head on collision worst case, or simply be a nuance to everyone else trying to enjoy the drive, then at least be courteous to others following you and pull over in the many scenic overlooks just to let the line of cars that are trying to enjoy thier trip that are stuck behind you, go by.

My Suggestion is to find more approproate roads to get from campground to campground in you MH and enjoy the parkway during day trips in your car.

Other than that, enjoy the trip!
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Betr2Travl
I had no idea that this is what the road was like! This is exactly the kind of advise I am looking for. Being novice RV owners and not knowing this country/ terrain - I most certainly do not need this kind of anxiety.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
LOVED the area around Asheville - went for the private biltmore tour and loved the tours, but the area was such fun coming from flat Texas

We stayed at Bear Creek in Asheville and the second pic after the videos below is out our front window...
SMALL tight park if you want to pull head in,
but I just asked if I could come in the 'wrong way' since the view was SO stunning off the 'cliff' !

I agree with the above re tunnels - the first pic is one of the larger ones.
take your toad (preferably a jeep) to tour as there were wonderful side roads/trails to explore...

the third is along a hidden trail that I can direct you to - it will take a couple of hours, but is just plain fun !

and just for fun here's video of my wife's back seat driving

makes me ready to go back !
(Click on the pics for a larger view)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
The Summit of Luxury Motorcoach Resorts in the Blueridge Mts

Might consider this park. Gorgeous, and nice to see the new RV pads and small homes going up on the newest part of the resort. It is near the city of Highlands, we parked here and drove around the first 100 mies or so of the Parkway, from here up past Asheville....made a great base for our vacation....the highest part of the parkway is located within 60 miles of this area, and makes a great day trip...as well as the Biltmore Estate.
The resort are private owned RV spots, but they always have rentals available...most have nice outdoor kitchen areas, a little privacy from shrubs, and a fairly large area....
Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

Misty mountain camp resort virginia camping, waltons mountain, This campground is 10- 15 minutes away from the junction of the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. I live between Misty Mountain and the junction. If you are in to wine or beer or both, it's a great area to visit with lots of vineyards and breweries.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #8

With all due respect, there are always two sides to a story. We have driven on the parkway with our motorhome, and don't feel we were a danger to ourselves or others. If a line of cars appears behind me, as I do on all 2 lane roads, I pull off at the next opportunity and let them by.

Here's a link to the tunnel clearances Tunnel Clearances - Blue Ridge Parkway Note that maximum and minimum clearances are listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
Betr2Travl
I had no idea that this is what the road was like! This is exactly the kind of advise I am looking for. Being novice RV owners and not knowing this country/ terrain - I most certainly do not need this kind of anxiety.
Thanks for the heads up!
"Betr2Trvl IMHO, Motorhomes / large RVs don't belong on the BRP, and if you decide to drive it in a MH you are putting your coach / RV and other drivers at risk, as well as just being inconsiderate to others trying to enjoy the road. It was built as a touring road for cars.......

Large trucks are not allowed (which tells you something, and I can not figure out why they have not put other large vehicle restrictions in place....), and given that, trees hang well over the roadway in many places since trucks don't trim them back. So either your coach gets scratched by the trees that overhang, or you are often driving over the centerline putting oncoming traffic at risk.

Then there are the tunnels. If you don't want to rip the top of your coach off, you again have to drive over the centerline. And keep in mind, that some of the tunnels are curved, so the oncoming traffic has no idea until it it too late that half their lane has your RV it.

So, if you are fine with the chance that you could cause a head on collision worst case, or simply be a nuance to everyone else trying to enjoy the drive, then at least be courteous to others following you and pull over in the many scenic overlooks just to let the line of cars that are trying to enjoy thier trip that are stuck behind you, go by.

My Suggestion is to find more approproate roads to get from campground to campground in you MH and enjoy the parkway during day trips in your car.

Other than that, enjoy the trip!"
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #9

Not an issue

We agree with George. BRP is fine for motorhomes. We toured there last summer with our ACE 29.2 without problems. Only tunnel issues would be the mm 461-458, far southern end. Do stop at the visitor centers. We enjoyed Smokemount Campground in cherokee and Linville Falls Campground. We plan to spend more time on the Parkway this coming season.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

We'll just respectfully agree to disagree!

You won't see my MH on it.........

Regards!
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

Wasn't going to get into this one, but I live in Asheville and have driven the parkway all of my life. It is a good road and goes through some of the most beautiful country in the world. While you can drive it in a motorhome, and plenty do, I would recommend driving in a car or on a motorcycle. I will say that driving it in a motorhome might become tiring and you will miss a lot of beautiful scenery because you will be trying to make sure you stay on the two lane curvy road. The tunnels will also make you crowd the centerline.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

I believe it is not "large trucks"that are prohibited, but "commercial vehicles" and the purpose is not safety related, but aesthetic. Any vehicle with commercial advertising or license is prohibited.

The low clearance tunnels are all south of Asheville. There is no need to drive in the center of the road when the minimum clearance is 13' 4". There should be no concern inconveniencing other motorists. There are frequent scenic overlooks where you can let other vehicles pass, and there is no excuse for anyone to be in a hurry - it was built and maintained solely for recreation (there is a short section around Asheville that has come to be used by commuters). The road doesn't go anywhere. and the only reason to be on it is sightseeing. If someone has to follow you a couple miles because of the speed you consider safe, it is no big deal, and if you are in a hurry to get anywhere, it would be best to find another route.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
There are many sections of the BRP that are just fine for a motor home, ours is 12', we were towing and we had no issues. There are some low clearances, but they are marked on the National Park Service maps, you can just drive off the parkway at the prior exit and reenter later if you are so inclined. I agree the parkway was developed primarily for cars, but if you plan it you can enjoy portions of it in your motor home.

When we are in the Asheville area we stay at Momma Gerties. The park is on the side of the mountain just east of Asheville. The sites in the original area are level and you can see your neighbors roof. They have a new area from which you can see most of the valley, it is beautiful.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Don't do the BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
We'll just respectfully agree to disagree!

You won't see my MH on it.........

Regards!

The less of your motorhomes, the more campsites and spaces for mine!
We always like to find easy parking for our motorhome at the vista lots and the tourist centers.