Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Boondocking in Sonoma County, Ca?

We are currently at a Thousand Trails resort near Sacramento and will be heading over to a resort in Cloverdale, north of Santa Rosa. Would like to find any place to boondock at for a few days. We do have a Discover America pass for federal lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Bill and Debb---2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport---Roadmaster Falcon 5250 -
1 Cavalon (Scooby)
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
There are many places as you get closer to the ocean and some rv parks, and right next to the ocean. If you grab a good map, and your Miata, take a trip to the ocean for the day and drive/scout a couple of the routes when you get to Santa Rosa or Cloverdale- perfectly positioned.

Most of the places are generally in my mind as I haven't really been rving for a long time, but motorcycled many of the roads quite a bit, but really pretty easy to locate.

Also excellent motorcycle roads. Great opportunity to rent a bike if you are a rider...except for the rain conditions.

The question I don't know is how well your rig would do on highway one because of the tight turns and possible rain slide construction..but it may be a good length...just guessing, but width can be an issue...maybe a bigger issue where there is construction or temporary cement guard rails.

The software service might be ok for the route, if you want to take the rig to highway1, but not for the construction?, as rain sometimes causes slides in the sides opposite the ocean. But it is such pretty country, you can't go wrong with scouting for one day, stopping at the ocean for sea food, and then moving the rig the next day, which is how I would do it in case the gps is not on top of the construction activities if there was a slide overnight in this rain and you are not sure about handling the hair pin curves along the ocean if you go for it.

Frankly, I live south in Vallejo and you can cover a lot of ground in the Miata without taking the rv into the ocean areas and worry about salt issues, traffic, and highway 1. And you can also rent a place near the ocean for the night pretty easily this time of year as well.

During this time of year, the traffic should not be bad at all, but mornings and evenings are still best.

Send me a pm if you have concerns or run into a problem. Would be happy to help out in my neck of the woods. Should get back to you in less than 24 hours generally, maybe within a few hours.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
I forgot to mention that as you go north, more opportunities should open up as well.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote