Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Boxcar Cove and other locations in Lake Mead area

We are planning our first venture next month and will be in the Vegas/Lake Mead area. I am focusing on national parks or similar in the Lake Mead area. Has anyone stayed at Boxcar Cove? What little I've read/found on this has been that Boxcar is preferred over Government Wash. Would appreciate feedback from any who have had experience with either of these.

Have also been reading about NP campgrounds such as Las Vegas Bay, Callville Bay, Echo Bay, etc. I got a little confused as on some, e.g. Callville, as there is an RV park run by concessionaire as well as the dry camping NP campground and I called the wrong one to get some info. Anyway, would be interested in hearing feedback on the dry camping ones such as these or others as well.

There was another thread on NV campgrounds where there was some great info and links. Just wanted to get a bit of info/experience with some of the other spots that were not specifically mentioned there. Thanks so much to Wheeling It for your awesome blog entries that were linked on the NV thread regarding this area as far as hikes, etc.! This is an awesome forum! Thanks so much to all who are so willing to share! It is a huge help to those of us brand new to RVing! We are very excited to get going!

RVer402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Smile NV camping

Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but the voice of experience says to ensure that your length of rig is included in your campground search.

'14 Winnebago Journey 42E
'02 FR Georgetown 325D
'95 Damon Hornet 305
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
No insult taken. I appreciate your thought as it is sometimes easy to overlook the obvious. We are looking at length and aware that there are length restrictions, etc. I'm finding that on NPs that is not always listed. I made a few calls yesterday and also found that the person on the other end of the line does not always know about that for sure either. Our plan for this first venture is to gather as much info as we can ahead of time. Then upon arrival in the area we will stay somewhere overnight and take the car meanwhile and explore some of these places to see them firsthand and we'll take it from there. Some of the ones we are targeting may be completely out of the question once we see them. We are prepared for that. It will be a huge learning experience, needless to say!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Please keep in mind that Lake Mead is significantly lower now due to drought, etc.
Vegasjjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I've read that about the lake. It was shocking to see the same in some areas of Colorado when we were visiting there a year or so ago. While views of the lake would of course be a great bonus, our main focus is that we want to be out of town and not in the big RV parks - quiet and peaceful and close to nature.