RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Boycott “No Campfires”

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.

Zarindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You opened that big can of worms again!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarindo View Post
It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”
We've never seen a place - even public parks that don't allow a propane fireplace when there's a ban on wood.

If people are upset about a ban on fires then they are 'clueless'.

We were in a forest campground in New Mexico one Memorial weekend. When everyone had packed and left I took a walk through the campground. I witnessed a campfire that was not doused and at that moment a spark flew onto pine needles and was quickly moving. I went to the host; 911 was called. I went back to our RV. We could see thick smoke already starting. In a short time the fire trucks arrived and the hosts were going through the campground telling everyone left to leave. Watching the news in later days that careless campfire created thousands of acres of damage and the campground was closed for the rest of the season.

That's the reason of bans during dry, hot fire seasons. It's not difficult to understand.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

PLEASE post a list of the CGs that do not allow campfires......and update frequently

Save me a lot of time reaserching which ones to Partonize

I'd rather have a barking dog next to me then a smoldering campfire which is usually unattended.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

Hi Zarindo & welcome. Campfires.....I can take em or leave em. Not important to me at all. Now if I ever come across a CG that won't let me grill with my charcoal grill I'll be miffed!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer places that don’t allow wood fires, too. Many people don’t know how to tend a fire and it is too smokey. The wind can also carry the smoke right into your RV if the windows are open.

I definitely get the fun of a wood campfire, but wood like the park to set aside an area for people that don’t prefer them.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

Fires and Rights

My recent “no propane campfires” experience had nothing to do with a fire ban. was simply the private park’s rules. Near my small trailer park we lost 14,000 acres of mostly public lands last year...started by lighting. Forest have always had fires...the question is how much of our “rights” do we lose to protect against the possibility of a fire? Years ago I struggled with a missouri county over their ban on swimming from lake shores. In the public meeting a ranger said “mr...have you ever pulled a drowned young girl out of a lake?”. I responded...”no and that has to be the most horrible experience...but then maybe you should drain the lake”. Towns all over america have or will ban winter sledding in their parks. How far we will let this kind of “protection” go?
Zarindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Years ago when young we cooked over an open wood campfire, Coffee, Bacon, Eggs, you name it. Now in my much later years the smoke is irritating to both of us. So we prefer places that do not have campfires. Just a choice, and if there is a camp fire smoldering nearby, we stay inside with the AC's on.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarindo View Post
My recent “no propane campfires” experience had nothing to do with a fire ban. was simply the private park’s rules. Near my small trailer park we lost 14,000 acres of mostly public lands last year...started by lighting. Forest have always had fires...the question is how much of our “rights” do we lose to protect against the possibility of a fire? Years ago I struggled with a missouri county over their ban on swimming from lake shores. In the public meeting a ranger said “mr...have you ever pulled a drowned young girl out of a lake?”. I responded...”no and that has to be the most horrible experience...but then maybe you should drain the lake”. Towns all over america have or will ban winter sledding in their parks. How far we will let this kind of “protection” go?

Hummmmmmmmm
Private park and their rule.
They invested time/money/effort into a business and have extablished rules most likely based on cost/benefit ratio.

Have a buddy that built a 50 site CG ----2 yrs of his time/efforts and $450 PLUS of HIS money
At opening he had a VERY short list of Rules......all basic/common sense items
2nd year.........full page of RULES

I asked him WHY'
Response-----Folks are STUPID

I would bet that private park owner has same feelings and therefore is attempting to limit the exposure of his investment to STUPID People.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you don’t like a CG that doesn’t allow campfires, don’t go to them. I don’t care for wood fires and the irresponsible people who light them. We don’t need to preach to others about a boycott.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #11

Properly tended camp fires are ok with me if the camper knows how to handle the fire and smoke.
Really ticks me off when someone fires up a campfire at 7:00 AM with green wet wood. Smokie, smokie, not nice for the campground. Fired all day with no one tending or enjoying the fire. Stupid.
Fast hot fire at night is great.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #12

When we bought our first motor home we spent a lot of weekends at local state parks. In the fall I refused to go to Myrtle Beach state park, it is heavily wooded and it seems every other camp site had a wood fire. I couldn't breath.

Once in a while if it is cool enough, DH will build a fire if the park allows, it is nice and relaxing, but not a central part of our travel experience.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #13

I am full time and traveling south from ID to FL for the winter. My campsite in Moab, UT and my next site in Dorango CO and my next site in Rosewell NM all were no camp fires. They all stated that it was a municipal ordinance. I am now in a camp site in Carlsbad NM and they allow fires but it is too windy. As a responsible camper I will not lite a fire in the wind. I am heading to Ft Worth TX in a few days. I hope the camp site I am staying in allows fires. I like to sit at a camp fire after dinner and relax rather than stay inside and watch tv. It is part of camping. When I get to FL and am in a Resort I will not have a fire. It’s a Resort not a camp in a park. I can understand other RVers in a Resort not wanting smoke from a fire going into their living quarters.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I hope the camp site I am staying in allows fires. I like to sit at a camp fire after dinner and relax rather than stay inside and watch tv. It is part of camping.
With all due respect that's a false comparison. Just because you don't have a campfire doesn't mean you can't sit outside. We like to sit outside but don't want to be bothered tending a fire. A well-maintained fire requires seasoned wood and takes effort. Unfortunately, many campers don't have well-maintained fires and those detract from the outdoor experience.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire