Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
bringing home the Coach-TX, AR, TN, VA

In a couple weeks we'll be driving our 1st Coach 42.5 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder from New Mexico back to Maryland. My brother, a retired trucker has offered to help out. He has mapped out the route and we need suggestions on RV camp grounds.
1st stop Armarillo TX (off I40)
2nd stop Fortsmith AR (off I40)
3rd stop Nashville TN (off I40)
4th stop Roanoke-Salem VA area (off I81)
5th Stop our driveway in Maryland.
Thanks for your help

cfyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
#2 around Ft.Smith we stay at a CoE park that is at lock & dam 13. It's name is Springhill. If you want something closer to I-40 drive on to Mulberry (about 25 miles past VanBuren) and we stay at Vine Prairie another CoE park.

#3 around Nashville we stop at Montgomery Bell State Park. It is west of town and is about 450 mile trip from Ft Smith. (long day for us)

These may not be a resort but they are quiet and close by the road when we are on a mission to get to the NE.

4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
#1 Amarillo - Oasis in Amarillo is a good place to stop. It is easy off I-40 and has good size spots. It would be a good choice for your first stop.
Jim and Janet
Shih Tzus Coco and Peaches
jrmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you considered the fact your trip itinerary has you driving 400-500+ miles per day? That means most likely 10-14 hour days of driving plus fuel stops for both you the motorhome and you. This time of year that means you'll be "setting up" and "breaking" camp in the dark most likely. Maybe not the best thing for a new owner to be doing. Also, if we ever have any winter in that part of the country that could slow you down also.

Oasis in Amarillo is a great place to stay, very close to the Interstate which is what you need. If you start driving 10-20 miles off the Interstate you'll be adding a lot of driving time to your trip.

Safe travels.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
since you are driving that many miles a day, I would look at staying at Walmarts along the way.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Albuquerque to Amarillo is not a to bad of a drive, Oasis is a nice place
i would also look at the weather very close
the mountain pass near Santa Rosa may have LOTS of snow or NONE

there is a KOA in Tumancari thats very near the highway, might use it as a plan B if the snow kicks up
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
On your #2 spot of Fort Smith you will have to get off of I-40 onto 540. Another poster recommend Springhill Park. That is several miles out of the way. There is a small campground at Alma mile marker 13 in Arkansas. It is Crabtree rv sales. They have a small rv park with full hook-ups and pull throughs. Cracker Barrel is next to their sales office. Easy on and off. If you try for Nashville in one day you are in for a very long day. Hope you have a safe trip.

jv52 is offline   Reply With Quote