Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bryce Canyon and Zion

We are looking to stay in Bryce Canyon and then Zion National Park in mid May. Wondering if those of you who have been to these 2 parks might have recommendations for RV/campground spots that will accommodate a 34' travel trailer plus the tow vehicle. Hookups are nice but not required.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

The very best places to stay are in the parks themselves.

Zion has Watchman campground which has electric. There's also another campground without electric.

Bryce also has two campgrounds, both without electric.

Both parks have a dump station and water fill.

Check out the park's web sites for lots of good information, including camping and things to do.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The very best places to stay are in the parks themselves.

Zion has Watchman campground which has electric. There's also another campground without electric.

Bryce also has two campgrounds, both without electric.

Both parks have a dump station and water fill.

Check out the park's web sites for lots of good information, including camping and things to do.

Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Bryce Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Thanks for the info. I just went to the website for Watchman campground and I see that you can't get 2016 reservations until Feb 26 (loops A and C) or March 4 (Loops B and D). Interesting that there are different dates for the loops. Guess I'll have to put that on my calendar and make sure I get on their site first thing on the 26th.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Zion River Resort for Zion and Ruby's for Bryce are my choices and where I stayed twice.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI - incase the National park campgrounds don't work out, May 14th is $10 to stay at the Bryce KOA (Cannonville, Utah). It is a nice, basic campground with a pool.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bryce Canyon and Zion

Rubys, right outside Bryce is an excellent stop. Lots to do, shuttles to park, clean, etc

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison

It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Went to Bryce and Zion last year and decided to stay about midway. Several private campgrounds that fit the bill, but not very exciting. Agree best is staying at or in each park, but consider a few items. Watchman can be difficult to get reservations, and you need to be sure to read about the rules for going through the tunnel in Zion...non-trivial with an RV. Have stayed in Bryce, but no hookups. Have heard good things about Ruby's outside Bryce.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #8

If you don't get reservation at Watchman and decide to use the first come first serve campground be advised that you need to arrive there early morning. It fill fast
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

The Tunnel in Zion is something to be considered. You might want to stay on the east side and come in with your truck. If you go to Zion try to get to Kolob Canyon on the West side of the park. It is well worth it.
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #10

Just to be a little more specific. The Zion Tunnel has height, length and width restrictions.

If your RV (rig) is 11' 4" tall or taller, 7' 10" wide or wider (including mirrors awnings, etc.), you will require a permit to pass through the tunnel.

If your RV is over 13 feet tall, you are not allowed to pass through the tunnel at all.

If your RV is 40' (single vehicle) or 50' (combined vehicle) you cannot pass through the tunnel at all. The tunnel has curves in it.

Now, with that said I've been there and I've seen 45' tour busses going through the tunnel, so I'm not sure how closely they stick to the length rule.

Also, I've been twice. Once in September. The park was very busy so there was no permit required. They just allow traffic to pass through the tunnel one way at a time. So there's only east bound for say 10 minutes (estimate), then west bound for 10 minutes.

The second time I went it was November, and I did have to have a permit, and RVs (permitted vehicles) can only pass through the tunnel during working hours during the day. I don't recall there being a fee. If there was one it was minimal.

The only thing the permit is for is to coordinate stopping traffic so you can drive your RV down the center of the tunnel. You see, the tunnel was built in the 1920's and cannot accommodate today's larger RVs.

I think I've hit the highlights, but be sure to do your research before you go... Or just enter the park on the west side. There is no tunnel to deal with on the west side.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The campgrounds inside Bryce are all full for the dates we want so I went ahead with reservations at Ruby's. Thanks for that recommendation.

Now to find someplace for our visit to Zion. Watchman is full and the other parks appear to be first come, first served. Any recommendations for something outside that park? Given how full things seem to be I'm a bit hesitant to risk a first come, first served campground.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
The campgrounds inside Bryce are all full for the dates we want so I went ahead with reservations at Ruby's. Thanks for that recommendation.

Now to find someplace for our visit to Zion. Watchman is full and the other parks appear to be first come, first served. Any recommendations for something outside that park? Given how full things seem to be I'm a bit hesitant to risk a first come, first served campground.

Did you see my recommendation in post #4 ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #13

Zion River Resort

X2 on Zion River Resort. Very nice campground a few miles from the Zion Entrance.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Did you see my recommendation in post #4 ?

We have reservations at Zion River Resort for the last week in June. Can we go to Bryce in our toad for one day ... or is it too far to make it a day trip? After Zion, we head to Heber City for Mountain View RV for the 4th of July week. But, really did want to see Bryce as well. Thoughts?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote