Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor
Overland Owners Club
I know you said you wanted to go in the fall, BUT, the battle re-enactment in early July is an incredible experience. The mounted Cavalry, the cannons and mortars, all I can say is WOW. I don't have to go see it every year, but I'm quite glad I did it once.

Don & Anita Sweger
98 Overland Larado 4141SO
41' 325hp Cummins C8.3 Nicknamed "Lola"
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Drummer boy Campground sells or rents the self guided tour CD. it works really well, go at your own pace and no on and off of the bus at each stop.

2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Thumbs up Gettysburg KOA review

Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
We were at Gettysburg last week. Stayed at the KOA..hated it!.. to tight, not level, yada, yada, yada, We went by Artilery Ridge and wished we were there instead.

I'll offer a counter to Chief02, we have been in KOA Gettysburg for about 10 days so far. Have a Winnie Adventurer37B. Backed in no sweat, wide streets. Enough extra room for the toad to be out of the way. Have been through several heavy rains, good gravel ground and drainage. There are a limited number of pull through sites. Ditto 50 Amp sites, on 30 Amp no electrical problems. Very clean, shower houses at least better than my limited experience would call average. Most sites have heavy tree cover, good shade and bird sounds, poor to no sat reception; 42 channels of Cable TV, cell tower is over a hill, 2 bar 3G or 1 Bar 4G for Verizion, free Internet strong but they say they will speed limit for high usage, couldn't run a movie from Amazon, email and casual net access fine. Some sites are not wide but I wouldn't call them narrow either. Good tree/ rock separation between sites gives a feeling of privacy. Restrictive on visitors and extra cars, some people park extra cars on the side of the road outside camp rather than pay the $fees. Campfire rings, want you to buy firewood from them, will deliver; small store, will accept mail for you, propane available. Limited menu food, burgers, fries and sandwiches for dinner, will deliver. Location is about 6 minutes out of G'burg to the west. See the movie Gettysburg before you go, or better yet, bring it with you and look at it after a day on the Battlefield. Took the Segway tour with a Professional guide, highly recommended. Will do the auto tour tomorrow.

Traveled to Gettysburg on Hwy 30 from Breezeway on the PA Turnpike. Some windy mountain roads, 7-8% grades and one 9% that was an eye opener. Just gear down at the top and use your engine to do most of the braking, keep it 20-25 mph for the 7 miles and there is no problem. There are pull offs for trucks to allow traffic to pass, if you use them, locals give you a friendly toot and wave. Couldn't enjoy the beautiful countryside because I was really paying attention to the road . RV propane in Chambersburg on Hwy 30 if you need to fill on your way in.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Returning from Florida one year we drove up the East Coast. I used to live and work in the DC area and wanted to show the Wife around.

Rather than stay in Virginia with all the traffic we stayed at the KOA in Harper's Ferry, West Va. It's on top of the mountain above Harper's Ferry and is itself a Civil War Battlefield. From there with our toad we were able to tour several battlefields in the local area.

From Harper's Ferry we drove Rte 15 north to Gettysburg and stayed at a campground west of there in the mountains. Can't remember the name of it. Old age.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not recommend a park, but CAN recommend an action...
Drive your towed to the visitor's center.. They will sell you, most likely, a CD and a Map.. A "Self tour" with some very interesting information on it.. Drive to the X (The indicated spot no matter how you indicate it is called "X" in my lexicon) and play the CD as you drive, pausing when you want to get out and look closer at stuff.

In my day... it was a cassette tape. But we enjoyed it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
This is another vote for Artillery Ridge. It is the only place I stay, when in Gettysburg.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #21
While there we went to Visitor Center with our toad & they furnish us a guide that drove our car and took us on a 3 hour battlefield tour

They have several different tours you can take. 3 hr. 5 hr. Maybe others. These guides will customize your tour if you prefer to see a certain part of the battlefields.

Was really worth the $$$. With the guide driving we were able to look around and see the sights.

Need to arrive at visitor center early. They assign guides on first come basis.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote