Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Bucket list - Gettysburg - next fall

My DW has not seen the northeast US and we want to make a New England fall trip but I have never taken the time to see some of the civil war battle sites. I really want to visit Gettysburg and I plan on avoiding Oct 1st in case the government doesn't know how to work again next fall.

Any recommendations of a nice RV park near Gettysburg suitable for a big rig? I have a 42ft MH. How about DC/Northern Virginia area? Last time we tried a CG near DC we were not impressed.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #2

Last October, we went to Gettysburg and stayed at Round Top. It was fine. That said, there are a LOT of campgrounds in the area.

Now, if you're planning on going next fall, I'd make reservations NOW. Every campground in Gettysburg runs Halloween Weekends the entire month of September/October. We waited until June to make our reservations and Round Top was the ONLY one that could accomodate us. Most of these campgrounds are full of seasonal's, so that impacts the number of sites available also. So, unless you are not going to be staying over the weekend, you should start checking now. Go to www.rvparkreviews.com and look up Gettysburg.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
My DW has not seen the northeast US and we want to make a New England fall trip but I have never taken the time to see some of the civil war battle sites. I really want to visit Gettysburg and I plan on avoiding Oct 1st in case the government doesn't know how to work again next fall.

Any recommendations of a nice RV park near Gettysburg suitable for a big rig? I have a 42ft MH. How about DC/Northern Virginia area? Last time we tried a CG near DC we were not impressed.
Just spent three days at Artillery Ridge Campground with my 43' MH. Park is just a mile or so from the entrance to the Visitor's Center. I plan on returning to the park next year, good place
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #4

We stayed at Artillery campground this past July. A very nice place. We have a 30 ft but saw many class As. If you can avoid Route 30 do it. A lot of traffic during the day and some steep grades. It is doable but wouldn't do it again.

I would encourage reservations.

Gettysburg is worth at least a week stay in my opinion.

Have fun.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We once stayed at Roamer's Retreat about 30 miles East but the next 3 times we stayed at Artillery Ridge and really enjoyed it. There used to be a diorama at the campground but it was moved into town. You can get a free pass from the CG Office. It is well worth visiting BEFORE you take the tour. We have only done the self Auto Tour. You get a CD from the Gettysburg Park and follow the tour signs. It worked well for us.

Artillery Ridge CG is all about location, location, location. As stated, about 1 mile from the CG and also about 1 mile from the CG is General Pickett's Buffet - good food (At least we thought so.)

If any directions you program in take you on Granite Schoolhouse Rd. don't take it. The left hand turn on to Hwy 134 is tight. Right hand same. Also traveling West on 30 to I-81 had some "round-a-bouts" but the 40 ft MH and toad made them okay, just be cautious. I rather enjoyed the ride.

I think it will be safe to say that this will not be your first time to go to Gettysburg. What a rich history experience.

p.s., Artillery Ridge CG is also a horse stable and they have a section for horse trailers and camping in that section. You can take a horseback tour if you wish to (rent to ride).
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not help you with a campground but.....

There is a "Welcome Center" where you can buy/rent an audio recording, It was a cassette tape when I was there (Long time ago) and it comes with a map.

you go to the indicated starting point and start playing the recording.. It is a "Driving' tour of the battlefield.. Very interesting and very informative.. All 3 of us (Wife. Daughter, Myself) enjoied it.

The only problem we had was later.. Daughter was still in elementary school at the time and when they got to studying that battle.. She had actually visited the site and heard the guide telling about what happened.. A lot of what we learned was NOT in the history books in school.

Like the spot where some soldiers were killed not by the gunshot, but by the SOUND of all the guns that were fired.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info, good to know things book up early.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
X3 For Artillery Ridge. Parked there right now. Wide open lots of spaces. Did the visitors center today and the Auto Tour - No crowds, nice!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #9

Ditto on avoiding Gettysburg in October as its Holloween in all campgrounds. Besides tough making reservations, they charge extra all month as its a special event. They have the mindset that no one wants to visit the battlefield in October.

I'll recommend Drummer Boy CG which is along route U.S.15.

If you haven't been to Gettysburg before, I'll also recommend hiring a licensed guide for their two hour tour. It's more expensive than the CD auto tour but these guys know their stuff and can answer questions which the CD can't.

I will also recommend checking at the visitor's center for the daily schedule of the Park Ranger programs (free). These entail talks w/possible short walks on a particular part of the battlefield.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We were at Gettysburg last week. Stayed at the KOA..hated it!.. to tight, not level, yada, yada, yada, We went by Artilery Ridge and wished we were there instead.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Round Top last Father's Day weekend on a Scout trip (but I brought my motorhome and let the boys rough it...)

Great atmosphere, close to the new visitors center.

If you are able, hike the battlefield to get a great perspective of the various battle sites. We did the Billy Yank trail which is about 10 miles. It takes you through Devils Den and you end with a Picketts Charge walk across the vast field looking for the culp of trees.

Also go to the Eisenhower Farm and walk around downtown Gettysburg.

Its also a short ride to Harpers Ferry and to Antietam.

The Scouts on their hike:
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We stayed at Drummer Boy two years ago and it was great.
I agree on getting the personal guide. They add so much to the experience. You can jump on a y=tour with a personally guide then do the sites again in your toad, It was a great way to see the battlefield.
Dan
Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #13

We went last year for the 150 year celebration. It was amazing. Rather than staying near Gettysburg with the crowds, we stayed at pine grove furnace state park about 30 miles away. It was wonderful. Shaded cool spots, Clean bathrooms and best of all, toads. At night toads came out and my kids chased them around for hours. It was the nicest state park campground we stayed at all summer. After a hot day at Gettysburg with the crowds, the park was a welcome change.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post

Cherry Hill CG, College Park, MD is the best place to stay near Washington. They have a bus to the metro or it is an easy drive by car. Very nice park.

bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote