Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Wink Bull Run Regional Pk to D.C. time???

We're planning on staying at Bull Run (Centreville, VA) mid May and using that as a base to go into D.C. for the sites. Have been told the train was 13 away at the Vienna station. Has anyone done this and what's the travel time? (Supp. 1/2 hour West of D.C.?) Thanks for all your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
You may wish to consider this campground instead. You will have
a shuttle to the metro all day long, and a shorter ride on the metro.
The traffic in the Northern VA area is terrible on a good day.
It is a very nice CG.
https://www.cherryhillpark.com/

Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

We'll ck it out
Thnx
Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

I stayed at Bull run last spring because of its proximity to the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian museum at Dulles airport. It's a very nice park. I drove into downtown, I recall it being about a 30 minute drive. Bull Run is one of the nicest camp grounds I've been to in the northeast.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
I stayed at Bull run last spring because of its proximity to the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian museum at Dulles airport. It's a very nice park. I drove into downtown, I recall it being about a 30 minute drive. Bull Run is one of the nicest camp grounds I've been to in the northeast.

X 2. We have stayed at Cherry Hill a couple of times, and Bull Run 3-4 times. Both are good places. Cherry Hill is just the opposite of Bull Run. Cherry Hill is large, packed in pretty tight, and a big RV park. Bull Run is all wooded, spaced out, and rustic.
Bull Run
No sewer hookup
No cable tv, limited OTA channels, to dense woods for satellite.
About 30 minute drive to Metro station
Not far from a firing range, lots of popping during the day.
Nice waterpark within walking distance

Cherry Hill
All the big park amenities
Metro Bus stop in park, takes you to Metro Subway. 30 minutes
Park is in an urban area, interstate traffic noise, Resturant's, shopping
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Stayed at Bull Run last summer. Delightful, wonderful park. Especially impressed since it was a municipal park close to DC. Took train into downtown DC twice and it was relatively easy. Park office gave us directions to the metro station.

Would definitely stay there again.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bull Run Regional Pk to D.C. time???

FL native, .....
Let me clarify a couple of DGB's points for your decision making. I can't speak to Cherry Hill (having never stayed there), but having family in the west D.C. area, we've stayed at Bull Run maybe 8-10 times in the past 4-1/2 years.

1). Bull Run most definitely has sewer connections. They have a large number of full h/u sites. In all the times we've stayed we have always had 50A and sewer.

2). The shooting range referred to is a public facility owned and run by NOVA Parks, but is otherwise unrelated to the campground. It's separated by 200-300 yds of woods. It is shotgun only- no rifles or handguns at all- and all firing positions face away from the campground. May be audible from some of the most northern camp sites. My recollection is that the sound was low level background and intermittent, but others may be more sensitive to such things.

I would paraphrase pchuckie.... Bull Run is one of the nicest camp grounds I've been to anywhere.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote