Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Bureau of Land Manangement (BLM)

Hey All
Hope everyone has had a great Christmas.
My question is there a good interactive site where I can research available BLM sites. I am looking especially for Wyoming on I-90.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JesseP
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
Hey All
Hope everyone has had a great Christmas.
My question is there a good interactive site where I can research available BLM sites. I am looking especially for Wyoming on I-90.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JesseP
Thanx....I am also interested in BLM Camping...my wife and I will be full timing soon and would like that as an option.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

First off, try Campendium.com and FreeCampsites.net. Next, scout out land management maps - I've prepared one at http://arcg.is/10XquO that shows public land boundaries (including BLM) nationwide in minute detail when zoomed in. Finally, I prepared a video to show how to use this information for boondocking:

https://youtu.be/TTRw3A-IIZY

With a bit of research conducted as described above, you'll easily find countless sites.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #5

If you're going to be one state for a long time it might be worthwhile to purchase a Benchmark atlas for that state. They're awesome and show all public areas with good road information and very easy to read. They're only published for the western states... where the good BLM lands are.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're going to be one state for a long time it might be worthwhile to purchase a Benchmark atlas for that state. They're awesome and show all public areas with good road information and very easy to read. They're only published for the western states... where the good BLM lands are.
I agree they're handy. The scale is too broad for too much detail, but they're great for seeing the big picture.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #7

DeLorme's Atlas shows all campgrounds. Back that up with some road recce via google earth and you'll have 90% of the answer.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have an iPhone or an iPad, check out the AllStays Camp and RV app. It shows dispersed camping areas in National Forests and BLM sites. The atlases mentioned are also good. The absolute best way though is to stop by a BLM office in the area you are traveling to and ask for their recommendations. They know their area and can give good advice as to local road conditions, which areas are full of partyers or are dusty from off road vehicles, etc. I am sure there are some rude BLM folks, but I have never encountered one. There are also brochures at most BLM areas identifying the dispersed camping areas.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

BLM

Thanks for all your ideas on BLM sites.

I plan to make a trip to Yellowstone and then down to Utah and Arizona next summer and trying to get a good plan together. I would like to do some boondocking as well as using full service parks.

Thanks
JesseP
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

As a Newbie to potential BLM boondocking...I truly have only one major concern for both my wife and myself.

Both of us are excited about the possibility of this remote camping opportunity. I have one WORRY/CONCERN...

I'm concerned about the "Safety" aspect of BLM boondocking Not concerned about the animals or creepy crawly things, I'm concerned about the dangers from people/criminals/druggies/thieves and the such. Concerned about "someone" showing up at your campsite with "bad things" on their minds

Are there any real concerns here OR are there usually enough folks around that are able to look out for one another???

A bit nervous and just wondering.....

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
As a Newbie to potential BLM boondocking...I truly have only one major concern for both my wife and myself.

Both of us are excited about the possibility of this remote camping opportunity. I have one WORRY/CONCERN...

I'm concerned about the "Safety" aspect of BLM boondocking Not concerned about the animals or creepy crawly things, I'm concerned about the dangers from people/criminals/druggies/thieves and the such. Concerned about "someone" showing up at your campsite with "bad things" on their minds

Are there any real concerns here OR are there usually enough folks around that are able to look out for one another???

A bit nervous and just wondering.....
Truly I've never even thought twice about it, and I've been dispersed camping for decades without a neighbor in sight.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #12

Druggies and thieves are going to stay in town where the supply of victims and drugs are. Criminals are not going to drive 15-20 miles on the chance they can find an RV'er to bother.

The people are going to be the rancher checking his stock or another RV'er looking for a campsite. We have been full-time for over 6 years, drive the backroads and camp on BLM land, National forest or state parks whenever we can.

Set your rig up to boondock and get out and enjoy the wide open spaces.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Wundertaker;3963197]As a Newbie to potential BLM boondocking...I truly have only one major concern for both my wife and myself.

I'm concerned about the "Safety" aspect of BLM boondocking/QUOTE]

There's another long post going on right now about this. Look for it.

However, in our 16 years of full-timing and boondocking in the wilds as much as we could, we never had a reason to be concerned about staying 'out there' by ourselves or even with others. We never thought there was a need for 'protection' either. None of our many boondocking friends had problems.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
There's another long post going on right now about this. Look for it.
"Long" indeed!: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/dange...ng-371971.html