Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

CA State Parks & ADA Campsites

Does anyone know about ADA accessible campsites in CA State Parks, specifically if/when there are circumstances when they are made available to those without disabled placards?

First, know that I am a special education teacher and am an ally and proponent of accessibility.

The reason I'm asking this question is that we are visiting a popular and small CA coastal state park later today and I luckily reserved the last non-ADA campsite (it's frickin December, so much less crowded, yay!). There are only about 21 campsites at this campground, and 4 are ADA-specific. All four ADA sites were available when I reserved 2 days ago. That seems like a high ratio of ADA to non-ADA sites and it would surprise me if they were to leave those sites empty (if there were a demand, obvi), rather than collecting a camping fee to help fund CA's desperately underfunded parks system.

Do CA State Parks make ADA sites available to non-placard holders at a particular time or leave at least one ADA site for walk-ups?

I may have an answer from the ranger at this park later today, but thought I'd throw it out there now.

Thx!!
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found that when I've pulled into a state park, they have told me that all they have is an ADA spot and that I can have it....when I asked, they said if it was not reserved with 24 hours then it's open to everyone. Take it with a grain of salt......was my thought as I completed the check in with a 19 year old temporary employee. I stayed for one night and moved on.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

I screwed up a couple years ago - pulled in to a park in northern CA (MacKerricher State Park) and didn't have a reservation (thought I had made it months before). The rangers were awesome and gave me one of the ADA sites (they had a bunch available at the time - 7 if I remember correctly). It was the best campsite in the park - concrete pad and perfectly level site all around right where I wanted to be near the beach. The rangers said that they had plenty and didn't mind giving us one for a few nights.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

It seems as if this varies by particular park. At the particular park that was the catalyst for this post back on Wed, turned out there were no rangers nor park hosts in sight during our stay (overnight one night, 12/28).

The ranger hut was unoccupied the 24 hours we were there, there were just written instructions for how to pay, etc. and also a sign saying the campground was full. The camp hosts spot was empty and there was a sign up that said they weren't there Tuesday and Wednesday. We left around noon on Thursday and they still weren't there.

Even more curiously, it seemed the ADA spots were all full once we arrived (whether the folks were card-carrying, I don't know) but at least two other (non-ADA) spots were empty during our stay.

I was sitting on a picnic table at one of the empty, beachfront sites (one of the best spots in the campground), watching the sunset, when a younger female in a small 2-door pulled up with her chihuahua, asked if it was my spot, and I said "no, but I would imagine it's someone's, since the campground says it's sold out & this is one of the best spots here." She replied, "yeah, we'll see what happens," leading me to think she had not reserved it, and then she proceeded to unpack and set up her tent. She was gone by the time we woke up in the am and if it wasn't, indeed, a spot she paid for, I kinda admired her cojones.

Long story short, I guess it's dependent on the park and circumstances whether the ADA spots get made available. Since there was no ranger nor camp host during our stay, I don't know how people got the ADA spots if they were not ADA-need folks. It was weird, but a stunning site I hope to make it back to!
Old 01-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

I've reserved a specific spot in Northern California for several years. It has ADA markings but I have never had an issue reserving it on line. The reservation system really doesn't specify one way or the other.. additionally neither the Camp Host or Park Ranger have had an issue..
Old 01-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam565 View Post
I've reserved a specific spot in Northern California for several years. It has ADA markings but I have never had an issue reserving it on line. The reservation system really doesn't specify one way or the other.. additionally neither the Camp Host or Park Ranger have had an issue..
Good to know. Thanks! Also good to know there actually are rangers and/or camp hosts still around

Tags
ada