Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

CA to NM to TX to NC

We're crossing this great country with ZERO itinerary - other than to be in Charlotte, NC for Thanksgiving with our family.

Tonight is our last day in Alamogordo, NM after visiting Cloudcroft and Ruidoso.

Tomorrow looks like south TX - a two day ride to San Antonio and a lot of touristy stuff. This stop is more for my DW who is a history buff. In reality - my reality - we're killing some time for my true destination of Terlingua, TX for the Original Chili Cook-Off on 11/7!!! Been trying to get there for years. Hope it's worth the wait.

I've read several threads on TX visiting but they're too old to post on now. Any additional fun type visiting specifically for southern TX - no further north than Austin?????

Was also wondering about the area near Del Rio - apparently a damned up, now finger lake area?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fredricksburg Tx is a good place to spend a week or so Luckenbach and Bandara . This is a Great place everyone should see http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fredricksburg is a real nice place,then around San Antonio there all kinds of thing to do and see,terlingua is a pretty wild time,but there will be a lot of people there.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
South Texas

Many interesting places in south Texas. Big Bend of course, some great hikes and scenery. Marfa for the lights and art scene. McDonald Observatory for a star night. Judge Roy Bean and The Law West of the Pecos. Seminole Canyon SP, along the Pecos, has ranger lead hike down to the river seeing petroglyphs. This is right out of Del Rio. Balmorhea SP for the spring-fed swimming pool. In San Antonio, the Alamo, the River Walk, Institute of Texan Cultures.

Enjoy

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Fredricksburg is a real nice place,then around San Antonio there all kinds of thing to do and see,terlingua is a pretty wild time,but there will be a lot of people there.
Apparently you've been there. If we like open-air concerts and county fairs, would this be a FUN place to visit? Worth staying one day, two days...?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
yes it would only if your are the party type,you just pull up in a big open area and camp,no hook up so make sure you have water and your holding tanks are empty,but yea I enjoyed it every time I went,there will be all kinds of arts and crafts.There will be bands and a dance.If drinking and partying affends you then don't go.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We spent a week at the KOA at Fredricksburg it is located 5 miles from Fredricksburg about the same from Luckenbach LBJ ranch Bandara is the cowboy capital of the world is also close by.... We had a good time and will return soon ...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

I assume you're aware of the heavy flooding around Austin and San Antonio. Call places before going. Have a great trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #9

If you like old historical places check out Natchitoches, LA, the oldest town in the Louisiana Purchase (1714). Plantations, historical buildings, quaint little girly/shops in the downtown, nationally acclaimed historic district. Oldest general mercantile store in the south. Many movies filmed here. Steel Magnolias, Man in the Moon, Horse Soldiers and more. What we do not have is a good quality rv park. Several small campgrounds. We're in the northwest part of LA on I-49. Happy travels.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #10

Quote:
yes it would only if your are the party type,you just pull up in a big open area and camp,no hook up so make sure you have water and your holding tanks are empty,but yea I enjoyed it every time I went,there will be all kinds of arts and crafts.There will be bands and a dance.If drinking and partying affends you then don't go.
"There will be bands and a dance." We care our dancing boots with us!!!!!

"If drinking and partying offends you..." We've been thrown out of nicer places that this!!!!!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
If you like old historical places check out Natchitoches, LA, the oldest town in the Louisiana Purchase (1714). Plantations, historical buildings, quaint little girly/shops in the downtown, nationally acclaimed historic district. Oldest general mercantile store in the south. Many movies filmed here. Steel Magnolias, Man in the Moon, Horse Soldiers and more. What we do not have is a good quality rv park. Several small campgrounds. We're in the northwest part of LA on I-49. Happy travels.
"Natchitoches, LA" Hadn't planned that far out. But... sounds good to me.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
We spent a week at the KOA at Fredricksburg it is located 5 miles from Fredricksburg about the same from Luckenbach LBJ ranch Bandara is the cowboy capital of the world is also close by.... We had a good time and will return soon ...
"...cowboy capital of the world..." Right up our proverbial alley!!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I assume you're aware of the heavy flooding around Austin and San Antonio. Call places before going. Have a great trip.
Yep!!! We were traveling just behind this recent storm. We caught part of it leaving Tucson several days ago and decided to wait it our in a truck stop.

But understanding that we are from the drought stricken Southern CA area, WE enjoyed it!!! But I do feel sorry for anyone suffering from it.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Or if you prefer full hookups you can use the Maverick RV Ranch & Resort in Lajitas as your home base. It's a very nice park with upscale amenities: restaurant, golf course, shooting club, etc. Centrally located to Big Bend, a refuge from the crowds @ Terlingua (15 min drive) when you tire of that scene, and almost nearly unlimited site seeing, and exploring choices, along with the historical interest areas and old movie sets are ez day trip options in addition to the cook off. One note: the Texas Highway Patrol routinely uses this event (Chili cook off) to "train" new troopers. Read that as an opportunity to empty their collective ticket books! Of course RV's rarely need warning to obey traffic laws but just sayin'! I'll bet your enjoy your stay and Texas hospitality. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your travels.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote