RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Cairo Ill

Heading south on rt 51 will be stopping in cairo ill been there a few yrs ago great food, history people stayed at a campground right on river where mississippi and ohio rivers come together can,t find any info hopefully won't need reservations...

Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
Heading south on rt 51 will be stopping in cairo ill been there a few yrs ago great food, history people stayed at a campground right on river where mississippi and ohio rivers come together can,t find any info hopefully won't need reservations...
I found it Fort Defiance state park nice Quiet place no showers or rest rooms only elect watch boat traffic on river see muddy mississippi and ohio rivers join nice place one of Illinois hidden treasure.....

Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #3

Last time I drove thru Cairo was 2012. Town looked like a ghost town, with bushes growing from cracks in the sidewalks, abandon and burned out buildings, etc. Not much there to see. I think they finally banned semi trucks on the old bridges (US 60) but they had not when I was there.

A look at Google maps does not show any campground at Ft Defiance, just grass and trees. There is a road that might at one time have been a campground loop but clearly it is no longer a campground. Backing up a little bit on US 51 if you turn off on State 13 about half way between Carbondale and Marion is Crab Orchard Lake US fish and wildlife service campground. Very nice and just off the highway. I enjoyed my stay there. https://www.fws.gov/refuge/crab_orch...ctivities.html

Every time I cross the Big Muddy, I look for a different way to do so. Even crossed on the ferry at St. Genevieve, MO, just to say I had, neat experience too.

I did find Wickliffe Mounds interesting and worth a stop if you are into history and Native American life in the area.

Further north on the Mississippi is Chester and it is the home of Segar, creator of Popeye, with a small museum on the east end of the bridge and neat statues all over town, even a mural inside the Hardees.

North of Chester is the mouth of the Kaskaskia River and on the north/west side of the river is a COE owned campground with ten sites, right at the confluence of the Mississippi and the Kaskaskia. https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/vis...cfm?Id=B311380

Also north of Chester, but not quite to the Kaskaskia R on E. Kaskaskia St (county 6) out of Chester is Ft Kaskaskia historic site and campground. contact the Site at 618/859-3741

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air