Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #1

Calgary campground recommendations

The DW & I are planning a trip to Calgary Alberta for the stampede this July.

We are in a 33 foot class A and like a "campy" feeling campground.

We would love any recommendations from the more seasoned RV vets here.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Been away for awhile but I can tell you that it can get crazy busy around stampede time. If you don't mind being a little farther out from Calgary (30 mins give or take), I stayed at a nice little city campground in Okotoks a couple of years back, right by the river. Very family oriented campground. Sites are decent. You can google it. Part of the Okotoks Lions. Was in a 37' class A
Old 02-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good that you are checking now, I assume you are going to make reservations soon.

We didn't and wound up going to Edmonton for a RV park during the roundup.

Canada's "4th of July" is July 1st. Guess what....all campgrounds are full just like ours are then. I learned a lot on that trip....also they have the steepest mountains I've driven on anywhere.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Went to Stampede in 2016. Booked campground in January. Booked clubhouse seats for Stampede in January and were almost sold out then. Stayed in Cochrane at Bow Rivers Edge RV park and took metro train in and back to stampede. Dropped off at the stampede gate and no parking issues. Recommend it. I wouldn't wait to book.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

Advice would be to stay at a campground out of town. George Lane park in High River is very nice and reasonable. Drive to the C-train ( about 30 minutes) and take the train to the Stampede. Stops right at the grounds. I used to live in Calgary and traffic at Stampede is CRAZY!
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Forget Calgary...all the campgrounds are sub par. As suggested try Okotoks, High River or Cochrane. IMO the best (there are 2) are in Cochrane.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #7

thanks

Thanks for all the advice. DW is on the phone now trying to find something available in one of these recommendations

Tags
campground