Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You must remember that CA. is 1000 miles long and the coast changes from white sandy beaches in the south to the awe inspiring rocky coast as you travel north. As stated the weather is unpredictable. A typical day can go from "T" shirt to sweater to parka in a short period of time. If you belong to the Elks Lodge there are many that have camping facilities. When towing our speed limit is 55, so factor that into your time element. Hope you are able to visit us, and although we are a little looney at times I am sure you will enjoy the visit.

Don, WIT 70041

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgyver View Post
gas prices are up to $4.50s :(
i've stayed at lake isabella, right near pismo, pretty nice place. pismo looked fun as we drove by. PCH is an awesome drive, very beautiful with lots of sites along the way. just depends how far south you want to travel. there are lots of campsites/stops facing the ocean.

Just a heads up; Lake Isabella is really pretty far from Pismo. It's near Bakersfield, just east of the central valley, and not a particularly attractive destination. Isabella is a good three or four hours drive from Pismo Beach.

The lakes nearest to Pismo are: Lake Lopez in nearby Arroyo Grande; Lake Cachuma south of the Santa Ynez Valley, very nice and a great destination; Lake Nascimiento & San Antonio Lake about an hour and a half north of Pismo, near Paso Robles, another cool region. Both Santa Ynez Valley & the Paso Robles area are good wine country.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Just a heads up; Lake Isabella is really pretty far from Pismo. It's near Bakersfield, just east of the central valley, and not a particularly attractive destination. Isabella is a good three or four hours drive from Pismo Beach.

The lakes nearest to Pismo are: Lake Lopez in nearby Arroyo Grande; Lake Cachuma south of the Santa Ynez Valley, very nice and a great destination; Lake Nascimiento & San Antonio Lake about an hour and a half north of Pismo, near Paso Robles, another cool region. Both Santa Ynez Valley & the Paso Robles area are good wine country.

i ment lake lopez, brain fart, was writing post about isabella at the same time. lake lopez was a nice place.
mattgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #18

Sounds like a wonderful plan, but I think you should try to zone in your destinations based on the size of this State. For Southern California, June gives you a load of choices as it is still not too hot inland. Petchanga RV Resort in Temecula, any of the many parks in San Diego, just a little north, Ventura RV park covers Los Angeles, or Flying Flags RV for Santa Barbara.
Mid-Southern area: Wine Country RV park.
San Francisco area I recommend Petaluma KOA. A lovely well maintained and operated RV park.
Enjoy.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used Pismo Coast Village as a base camp several times. The Pismo Beach area is very nice. Additionally, Hearst Castle and Morro Bay to the north and Solvang and the Santa Ynez Valley to the south are easy drives from Pismo Beach.

If the Los Angeles area including Hollywood, Disneyland, etc. than you might consider Golden Shores in Long Beach. There isn't much to do right there but it is a clean and well maintained park that is reasonably centrally located for the Los Angeles/Orange County areas. Be warned that anywhere in that area will require long drives as everything is spread out and traffic can be heavy. Also, Golden Shores is not in a scenic location.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we stayed at Gloden Shores in Feb. of this year and found it to be a great location
easy on / off the freeway too

i reckon "scenic" is in the eye of the beholder...
this RV Park is right on the edge of the water
great morning runs and dog walking along the seawall with wonder views of the marina

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
i reckon "scenic" is in the eye of the beholder...
this RV Park is right on the edge of the water
great morning runs and dog walking along the seawall with wonder views of the marina
Fair enough. The walk/run/bike rides to Shore Line Village along the sea wall is pretty and the Queen Mary is right across the harbor.

My comment may be based on an unfair bias on my part. I have spent ten weeks or so there in one and two week increments over the years as it is DW's family's favorite camping spot. She on the other hand does not like it at all and as we know, if mama's not happy, nobody's happy. I can't really tell you why she doesn't like it.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #22

Gas prices are creeping up again - it was $4.23 gallon today. (About 40 miles outside of LA) I paid $4.19 a couple of days ago.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #23

FYI
Another slide on Hwy 1 has basically closed the highway between San Simeon and Monterey. You could get close to the slides but it will be a mess.
OND