Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

California Base- Camp Recommendations

We are thinking about adding California to our spring/summer trip. We would want to drive/explore (in our toad) the coast highway plus other recommended stuff. We are looking for Base-Camp recommendations.

We can move to different locations if that would make things easier. I have little to no knowledge of California. My definition of "coast highway" is very generic, but I have always thought of it as South of the San Francisco area.

We would like to keep RV driving to a minimum because of traffic and California gas prices. We are retired military, also have Pass Port America and Good Sam's. Time of arrival would be about the second week of June. Length of stay is open. We think our trip this year will be Northwest Arkansas to California to Yellowstone to the Black Hills and back to Arkansas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

Reading your post, I want to let you know that Hwy 1 has recently had a devastating landslide near Big Sur. This effectively will shut down the highway for several months. Other than that, springtime is the best for seeing the coastline, full of wildflowers and sunshine before the foggy season sets in. There are many coastal campgrounds in the central california coastal area that would serve you well. Good Luck, OND

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

The "coast hiway" is California 1, it runs the entire length of CA right on the ocean. Every bit of is is simply beatiful. I would suggest looking at several base camps, because there is just too much to see. We have had quite a winter, but I doubt that roads will still be closed by June, they wants tourists so CalTrans makes sure they can get around. June can often be cool and foggy on the coast, so don't expect heat. You will generally get sun, but the coastal fog rolls in every afternoon. My favorite spots are the exptreem north (Crescent City or Eureka) Montery Bay, San Luis Obispo and San Diego. With the exception of the far North, it will be expensive but walking on the beach is still free! Enjoy
Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Try for the Travis AFB famcamp (Fairfield CA). From there you can travel the Sierra Nevada to the east, The San Francisco area and HWY 1 north of Bay area to the west.

Loved the motorcycle drives I took to the north around and up the west side of Lake Berryessia. Then Berryessia Knocksville road to Clear Lake around the lake west to east side then back via CA20 to I-5 to I-505 to I-80 then the base. A great all day drive.

I think you should be able to find things to do in the area for a month if you look IMHO.

The Travis base ficalities are great (Big Airlift Command), Famcamp was (haven't been there since 2002) just inside the main gate.

Spent 20 years there. Would go back if I could (price of homes). Should have never moved.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Looking at your plan I think I would start in So. Cal
1- The San Diego Metro KOA in Chula Vista is centrally located, but being retired military you might want to look Camp Pendelton or other Military locals.
2- Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach Ca again is cetrally located for visiting San Luis Obispo, Hearst Castle, wineries in Paso Robles, Solvang, and Morro Bay. Again you might want to check out Vandenberg AF base. It is further South than Pismo by about 60 miles.
3-Travis is a good central location for SF, Napa, Sonoma, Bodega Bay and the Sierras.
4-Redwoods State Park in Weott or a private campground would be nice for the far Northern part of the state. The weather up in that area in late June/early July can be very foggy and cool on the coast.
Then into Oregon where the State parks are GREAT.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustytwo View Post
....My definition of "coast highway" is very generic, but I have always thought of it as South of the San Francisco area.....
this year (feb), we stayed in Half Moon Bay at Pelican Point RV Park - just south of San Francisco. Made a good base camp. Great views of the pacific ocean from our dinning room window

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

Thanks to all of you for your replies and suggestions. I think we may start in the Pismo Beach area and go from there.

I am using $4.00/gal (gasoline) to figure my estimated fuel cost. What is the current gas cost in California? Locally, we were $3.35 yesterday.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Expect to pay $4.00 per gasoline, and $4.40 per diesel. in the Los Angeles County, Orange County. A little bit higher in the Riverside County and San Bernardino County. If you have AAA, you can go on their website and get fuel prices for the area you want. Have a "HAPPY VACATION" .
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
If you plan to stay anywhere near the coast, I recommend making reservations well in advance. Mark
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The Metro KOA in Chula Vista nice camp ground large pull thrus,. close to everything in San Diego, Clean great for the kids we used this campground for our base last week had a great time Will go back ASAP
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #11

Talking

We have never stayed here, but it is on our list for next spring.

Pismo Coast Village RV Resort
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canucks View Post
We have never stayed here, but it is on our list for next spring.

Pismo Coast Village RV Resort

This is a terrific park, but you need reservations months in advance of summer. You can get placed on a waiting list, but even that gets lengthy.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dusty
we liked pismo sands rv park better than pismo coast (they are close together)
http://www.pismosands.com

as for gas prices, we really like this site to "be in the know" and plan our fill ups:
Gas Prices - MSN Autos

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #14

gas prices are up to $4.50s :(
i've stayed at lake isabella, right near pismo, pretty nice place. pismo looked fun as we drove by. PCH is an awesome drive, very beautiful with lots of sites along the way. just depends how far south you want to travel. there are lots of campsites/stops facing the ocean.

mattgyver is offline   Reply With Quote