Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
California Central Valley

It's not likely that much has changed but it does not hurt to ask. When traveling in this general area we make it point to stay in the Bakersfield area.

Week after next we're going from Long Beach, CA to Plymouth, CA a distance of about 410 miles. We'd like to make the trip in two more-or-less equal segments. Staying in Bakersfield makes little sense route-wise.

Going up I-5 puts Coalinga near the halfway point and going up CA-99 puts Visalia near the halfway point. We'd prefer to use I-5 on this stretch.

There's the Somerville Almond Tree RV Park near Coalinga and a KOA near Visalia that appear to be the least-worst options with respect to location, price, amenities, etc. Given that we'll most likely use I-5, it looks like we'll stay in Coalinga. Any other options that have recently appeared?

Sure wish Harris Ranch had an RV park!

TIA

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sommerville looks like a nice park for the night. Diesel and food next door.

Have fun!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
It's not likely that much has changed but it does not hurt to ask. When traveling in this general area we make it point to stay in the Bakersfield area.

Week after next we're going from Long Beach, CA to Plymouth, CA a distance of about 410 miles. We'd like to make the trip in two more-or-less equal segments. Staying in Bakersfield makes little sense route-wise.

Going up I-5 puts Coalinga near the halfway point and going up CA-99 puts Visalia near the halfway point. We'd prefer to use I-5 on this stretch.

There's the Somerville Almond Tree RV Park near Coalinga and a KOA near Visalia that appear to be the least-worst options with respect to location, price, amenities, etc. Given that we'll most likely use I-5, it looks like we'll stay in Coalinga. Any other options that have recently appeared?

TIA
Might be a little further then you had planned but,
when I drive that stretch, I usually go into Carls Jr at Santa Nella Rd and I-5 and buy a burger. I then ask if it's ok to dry camp the night in their giant RV parking lot. Always have been told no problem. It's quiet and don't have to listen to big rigs all night like at Flying J's.

Also a Pea soup Anderson's there, but would recommend to at least buy a shake when you ask Carls Jr.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the responses. I've cashed in all of 2012's dry-camping coupons issued by DW in Quartzsite in January. So it looks like it will be Somerville Almond Tree RV Park.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know you said icksnay on Bakersfield but I did stay near there for one night last year. It's a nice park called Bear Mountain RV. Very reasonable price and only a few miles off I-5, so we didn't have to drive the 99.

Too bad no other responses yet, but that is a dry stretch through the Central Cali area as far as RV parks go. Hopefully someone else will respond to your post.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

If you were staying more than one night you could drive on to Three Rivers RV Park Just outside of Sequoia. Or if you wanted to Boondock try Carrizo Plains between Bakersfield and Taft. But we already know this won't work for you this trip. Maybe next time.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave

TIA
Yummm...Harris Ranch. Long time no eat.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #8

To close this out - we decided on the Sommerville Almond Tree RV Park near Coalinga, CA. It's fine for an overnight stay. All or mostly all pull-throughs, easy freeway access but far enough away to be quiet. $36 all in. Good Wi-Fi by the park and our Verizon Mi-Fi worked fine too. All-in-all, a perfectly acceptable place to stop for the night.

Apart from fuel and quick-mart type places there's not much around here except Harris Ranch, 11 miles to the north. They have an excellent restaurant and hotel operation.

FWIW
Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

If you ever need to stay near Bakersfield, CA, there's a very clean, well maintained park in Edison, about 6 miles west on 58. Orangegrove RV Park . . . it's always our stop when going from Northern to Southern California. We do take 58 across the Tehachapi's almost exclusively, though, because we hate the traffic on Hwy 5!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
If you ever need to stay near Bakersfield, CA, there's a very clean, well maintained park in Edison, about 6 miles west on 58. Orangegrove RV Park . . . it's always our stop when going from Northern to Southern California. We do take 58 across the Tehachapi's almost exclusively, though, because we hate the traffic on Hwy 5!

X2!!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
Have stayed there several times. Like the u-pick orange trees, free doughnuts, and paved wash rack for the motor home.

Starting this leg of the trip in Long Beach made Bakersfield impractical. It's only 410 miles from Long Beach to Plymouth but we wanted to break the driving into two roughly equal distances. Coalinga or Visalia thus become the only practical halfway points.

We usually stay near Bakersfield on both the outbound and inbound legs of our winter vacation from western Washington to Arizona. This time a family gathering put us in Long Beach on this leg.

By the way - Long Beach sports a really neat RV park at the foot of the 710 freeway, Golden Shore RV Resort. It is one of the very few commercial parks in socal.

FWIW
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Yummm...Harris Ranch. Long time no eat.
Me too

Tags
california