Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question California Drought - New Water Restrictions

California (at least large parts of it) is suffer the worst drought in over 1000 years. Gov Brown has just announced new water restrictions designed to reduce water use by 25% and promising money for enforcement.

I know for me that puts a damper on my enthusiasm to visit those parts of the state. I'm wondering of RV/CG facilities will have to raise rates to cover any water usage issues and how that will affect their water operations in general.

How do you see this affecting plans to RV in California? Have you seen any evidence of its affects at the CG level?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just my luck, I spent 3 weeks there in Feb, and it rained for 3 days !
Old 04-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a suspicion that the rules will not be as punitive for RV or tourist operations as they are for the residents. It would be counter productive for the state, which is actively campaigning for people to visit to do much to increase the costs for those they are enticing to visit.

Cost in CA are already on the steep side and a large increase may soon kill tourism.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
No one, not even the Gov., could give any solid details, the only tidbit of info was any restrictions would probably based on 2013 usage.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in SD area. Doing our part. Work in progress on removing the front yard turf, replacing with low water usage drought tolerant plantings. Looking to save money hundreds of dollars a year in water costs, and reduce maintenance costs/time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

We just changed our plan of traveling through the Central Valley of California because of the drought. Our fear is getting caught in a fire situation. We'll go see the Redwoods and the vineyards when the rain comes back. Sorry California, not this time around.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Well Robert, look out for Tornadoes, Hurricanes and sever thunderstorms. Which rock will you hide under? Lived in SoCal for 70 years, never been a wildfire. We travel up and down the central valley each year, just not a concern.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Well Robert, look out for Tornadoes, Hurricanes and sever thunderstorms. Which rock will you hide under? Lived in SoCal for 70 years, never been a wildfire. We travel up and down the central valley each year, just not a concern.

Fred
Unfortunately California has had very bad press in the rest of the country. What we hear about is Santa Anna winds and brush fires that last for weeks. We can only imagine that a sever drought would only make matters worse. Rather error on the side of safety.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Residential water use is 20% of the total, most is ag use in the state. So a 25% residential cut would be a 5% overall cut. But at the cost of what to the average homeowner? This is the best state, use less water, less gas, less power, we have AB-32(toughest EPA regs) Prop 47 (empty the jails) and to pay for it all we have the highest taxes. I just love it here. If you do come to visit please bring a full tank of water and water the grass in the CG.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

Fred
I don't think for me it is the issue of hiding under any rocks. Nothing is guaranteed to be "normal" anywhere. It is a question on whether the current, wide spread conditions could put a damper on things related to enjoyment. I'll be honest, a good, ole tornado warning is a bit more frightening to me in central IL than a drought. So, it isn't the fear of a drought and such it is the enjoyment factor. Heck, one of our plans is to travel the west coast during tornado season in the midwest. That being said...isn't that prime brush/forest fire season in So Cal? LOL
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Unfortunately California has had very bad press in the rest of the country. What we hear about is Santa Anna winds and brush fires that last for weeks. We can only imagine that a sever drought would only make matters worse. Rather error on the side of safety.
I think that while "safety" is always an important factor, we RVers have the advantage of driving away from it more easily than the average home owner. Of course there are always situations that can happen. If Key West get forecasted a major storm I hear it can be a parking lot getting back to the mainland and north. You can't easily depart tornado alley either.

I agree, it seems that CA is getting beat up by the elements and publicity. The public perception of danger is not universally accepted by all in the same manner. As an example, I'm more afraid of a python eating my dogs than I am of a hurricane if I was camping near the everglades.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #12

The OP's question related only to any effects the drought might have at campground level. At worst the lawns are going to be brown and fees might go up a touch, and you won't get a glass of water with your meal unless you ask for it.
Probably need to research what parts of the state are actually drought stricken. Probably find that most of it has been in drought for the last 3 or 4 years anyway and the farmers' complaints signs have been up so long they have faded, and those parts that are regarded as tourist areas - national parks, mountains and north coast aren't particularly affected.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #13

There also the possibility of half of California sliding into the ocean during the next quake. It's important to stay on the east side of the fault just in case. Just kidding.

I also agree with the enjoyment factor. Who wants to go see waterfalls that are dried up. I would rather see California in it's full beauty.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
California (at least large parts of it) is suffer the worst drought in over 1000 years. Gov Brown has just announced new water restrictions designed to reduce water use by 25% and promising money for enforcement.

I know for me that puts a damper on my enthusiasm to visit those parts of the state. I'm wondering of RV/CG facilities will have to raise rates to cover any water usage issues and how that will affect their water operations in general.

How do you see this affecting plans to RV in California? Have you seen any evidence of its affects at the CG level?
Since no one was keeping records 1000 years ago where does this number come from? At best you can't go back more than 400 years in Calif.
Calif wouldn't have such a bad water shortage if the idiots running things there would stop draining reservoirs to save a minnow instead of feeding people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I have a suspicion that the rules will not be as punitive for RV or tourist operations as they are for the residents. It would be counter productive for the state, which is actively campaigning for people to visit to do much to increase the costs for those they are enticing to visit.

Cost in CA are already on the steep side and a large increase may soon kill tourism.
Don't bet on it. If you have money to go camping you are not yet paying enough taxes, fees and penalties. Obviously you are not surrendering your entire income to the government yet. Fear not, they are working on that.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, water