Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #1

We are planning a trip from AZ up the CA/OR coastal areas. I am thinking of cutting over to highway 101 from San Francisco. Does anyone have information on, or stayed at any of the following areas:
Crescent City, CA
Brookings, OR
Gold Beach, OR
Coos Bay, OR
Bandon, OR
Also any suggenstions on where to stay in the Los Angelas area for a night on the way up to northern CA?

Any help is much appreciated.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #2

We are planning a trip from AZ up the CA/OR coastal areas. I am thinking of cutting over to highway 101 from San Francisco. Does anyone have information on, or stayed at any of the following areas:
Crescent City, CA
Brookings, OR
Gold Beach, OR
Coos Bay, OR
Bandon, OR
Also any suggenstions on where to stay in the Los Angelas area for a night on the way up to northern CA?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #3

ScottyP,
In the Crescent City area, I can recommend either of 2 state parks (no hookups). Just South of Crescent City is Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP. It is located about 2.5 miles east of US 101, and is in a very quiet setting, too.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP, about 6 miles east of Crescent City on US 199. Very quiet, shady and along the Smith River.

There is a private RV park just east of Jedediah Smith Redwoods state park, Hiouchi RV Resort. It looks nice, we've just never used it. Last year's rates: $24.50 to $26.50, TL RATING: Park: 7, Restrooms: 9.5, Visual: 8, ljuden@elk-valley.com, (800)722-9468.

There is a KOA 1 mile north the intersection of 199 and US 101, notth of Crescent City.

In the Gold Beach area I can recommend Four Seasons RV Resort. We stayed there the summer of 2005. They are about 7 miles inland from the coast, and don't have the fog or wind that can be part of the Oregon coastal parks. Last year's rates: $25 to $36, TL RATING: Park: 6.5, Restrooms: 9, Visual: 9. Contact at fourseasons@harborside.com, (800) 248-4503.

Plan to stay at least 1 day in Gold Beach and take a trip on Jerry's Rogue River Jet Boat, Adult Fee: $39 to $79, jerrys@roguejets.com, (800) 451-3645. The Rogue River Mail Boat is available, also, but not nearly as informative or fun as Jerry's.

I suggest you stay outside of the LA area. If you take I-5, Valencia Travel Village is just 1 mile west of the highway, but expensive ($40-$50 last year).

If you are coming in on I-10 from AZ, I suggest you stop in the Redlands - Loma Linda area before you hit the LA traffic. Try Mission RV Park at the junction of I-10 and California St. exit. Last year's rates: $28, TL RATING: Park: 6, Restrooms: 9, Visual: 8; (909) 796-7570.

I hope this information helps to make your trip enjoyable.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #4

Paul, thank you for the great information. We are hoping to be past the LA metro area before we stop for a night or two. We were thinking of getting a good 10 hours of travel in before calling it quits for the day. I think we ma be able to get all the way to Salinas or Carmel by The Sea.

Scott