Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
California Route

We are planning a trip up the west coast from San Diego to Vancouver. We would like to stay close to the coast for our route of travel. We have a 40' motorhome and towing a car. Any must see or just avoid places? Places to stay?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
tbussche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend a quick search of this forum for terms like PCH or CA Hwy 1...

It is beautiful between LA and San Francisco...it is totally driveable in a 40' rig...but its not for the faint of heart. At least Northbound puts you on the inside of the curves along the coastal cliffs.

Its been talked about many times here. Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #3

A couple thoughts, FWIW. Hwy 1 north of San Francisco will bring you into Fort Bragg, CA. Continuing north from here will eventually take you to Rockport and then northeast to Leggett, CA, at hwy 101. That part of the road to Leggett will be a major challenge for you...I would not recommend it for a MH pulling a toad. But, your call. Since you must get over to Hwy 101 anyhow to continue north, I would suggest you take Rt 20, south of Fort Bragg, east to Willits and then continue north on 101, the Redwood Highway. From this point north, 101 will change from freeway to 4-lane to 2-lane road....several times. But the scenery is incredible, and well worth the time.

I would suggest you plan your trip to spend some time along the Avenue of the Giants north of Garberville. Absolutely amazing....the area is not a drive-by if time allows. There is so much to see and do around there. You might want to consider Ancient Redwood RV Park in Redcrest, CA, for a great place to stay. It is big rig friendly, and the folks that run it are absolutely Super. And don't miss Giant Tree in the Rockefeller Forest, part of the Humboldt Redwoods State Park....it will blow you away! I would also recommend some leisure time in the quaint town of Ferndale, CA, with a wonderful dinner at the Ivanhoe hotel. And do not miss the Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka, CA....and go there hungry. You won't be when you leave. Pretty cool....

I could go on...but won't. Do a forum search....there is a ton of info on your route. Hopefully, others will chime in with their thougts and suggestions. Have fun...and a safe trip.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbussche View Post
We are planning a trip up the west coast from San Diego to Vancouver. We would like to stay close to the coast for our route of travel. We have a 40' motorhome and towing a car. Any must see or just avoid places? Places to stay?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
How long do you have to make the drive?

Which Vancouver, Washington State, or British Columbia?

Have you been to California before? The Coast of Oregon? Any part of Oregon?

Have you done two-lane road mountain driving in your RV with toad?

When you are going also plays into your choices. Not too well known but the best time to see the California Coast is late Autumn, Winter and early Spring. In the Summer the fog rolls in and you will have coastal fog until around noon. [Has to do with the cold ocean and warm inland temps.] The Pacific Ocean keeps the air temperature close to the same year around at 60 to 70 degrees. It may get colder on the beach on cloudy days. Above Point Conception (North of Santa Barbara) the ocean temperature is ~58 degrees year around. Always figure the wind will blow and make you colder. It doesn't always blow but it is unpredictable. You don't have to go too far inland and the air temperature will rise dramatically. Regardless, on the Coast it will always cool down in the evening and you will need a jacket/coat after dark. This is especially so in San Francisco where they sell lots of sweat shirts to the tourists that didn't take a jacket on their day trip.

There are literally hundreds of places to see. Some are truly too beautiful to pass up but aren't exactly on the California Coast--Yosemite comes to mind.

Big Sur is another great place but if you haven't done much cliff side driving, getting there going North on Highway 1 from So Calif won't be enjoyable. You can back track from Monterey though, there is an RV park in Big Sur (no, I haven't stayed there).

If you haven't been to San Francisco or driven across the Golden Gate Bridge they are a must but you will have to drive through San Francisco on crowded streets. If you have the time stay in a RV park and drive the toad to see SF and cross the Golden Gate.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually the run up from LA on # 1 isn't too bad and going thru San Francisco on 1 isn't either if you stay in ther center lanes and watch the signs VERY closely. I have done that with my Excursion and 35' TT,both north and south to the bridge and Northbound with the 40' Tradewinds and toad. Not bragging,but very doable. DO NOT TRY #1 from Mill Valley to Olema. Stay in Petaluma and drive out to Point Reyes in your toad. I have pulled the trailer from Olema up to Legget,and yes that is tight in placesbut also doable.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #6

We love backroads and country roads but we would never take our 40' on Hwy 1. Hwy 101 is more relaxing. Hwy 1 would be very slow-going for you. There are plenty of places NEAR Hwy 1 that you could stay and leisurely take your towed vehicle for touring Hwy 1. We've done Hwy 101 many times and love the drive especially in Oregon!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

I have driven hwy 1 numerous times, with a motorcycle excelent ride, in a car beautiful, in a motorhome very stressful. Also stopping with a motorhome with toad can be very difficult on 1 very limited parking areas, turn arounds etc. I would suggest 101, and use your toad to explore the many beautiful places you will be in. Have fun good luck.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote