Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #1

Does anyone know of any California State Parks that are user-friendly for a 36' motorhome. I need to be able to open two driver-side slides too.

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #2

Does anyone know of any California State Parks that are user-friendly for a 36' motorhome. I need to be able to open two driver-side slides too.

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #3

Rick,
The only caveat to my statement below is that I am most familiar with SP from the coast north of Morro Bay to the Oregon border (Hwy 1 & 101) and many in the Northeast Sierra's from Chico north.

I have never found a SP in this region that didn't have several spaces in which your rig would fit. As you may know, SP do not have electrical, water or sewer hookups. Most have dumps as you exit.

There may be parts of SP you can't get into because a river separates the park and you can only use the section nearest the highway. Richardson's Grove, 101 south of Garberville; Grizzly Creek, south of Eureka (30' max); Standish-Hickey, 101 north of Leggett. In all the others you should be able to find a couple of spaces in which you will fit.

You might also be interested that many CA SP now offer WiFi. Check this list for more information www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=23780

If you want hook ups, Morro Bay SP has several spots with 20 amp plus water (about 20 spaces).

Enjoy your tavels.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #4

I can't seem to find the information right now but go to the above link to California State Parks and check each individual park and they will list the limit. Especially if you go to the reservation site. I did find a donwload in the past that listed the size limits on all of the State Parks. I found many in Northern California that had a 32 ft. limit. I will look for the download PDF.
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #5

I found the link:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23071

Brochures
"Camping Reservation Guide"
see page 5
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #6

Thank You
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shastaron:
...go to the above link to California State Parks and check each individual park and they will list the limit...I found many in Northern California that had a 32 ft. limit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is true that on the Parks website you will find a "size limit" stated for each park. However, this has not been updated for quite some time, and in most cases is understated. I've learned this over by using the state parks over the past 30 years.

We have a 28' TT pulled by an extended cab truck, overall towing length 47'. I can find a place to back my rig into in most SP's without unhitching for overnight stops. Only a few do I have to unhitch because the front of the truck sticks out into the roadway.

Enjoy your trip.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #8

I can only speak about two of them, both in the northern part of the state, Lime Saddle on Lake Oroville (it has about 15 with water and electric, and a dump station), and Woodson Bridge near Corning. No hookups, no dump station. Both have many sites that you can fit into with room to spare. I was the camp host at them last year.

And, as has been pointed out, do not believe the state website, it is so out of date it is covered with dust...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #9

There's one in Folsom on the lake by the dam. Can't remember the name, but it had lots of large sites.