Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:53 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm actually driving from Reno to Fort Bragg on the coast starting on Wednesday, and I've opted for the 80 to 20 to 101 route. Going all the way down to the 37 in Vallejo takes you way further south than is necessary whereas 20 cuts across the state. The 80 to 37 to 101 might be a smidge easier to drive, but it'll be a lot longer and a whole lot more monotonous. Personally, I'd much rather have to deal with a few twists and turns in beautiful country than drive on just about any freeway you can name.

But to each their own. Have a safe and fun trip.

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
I agree. Keep with the flow of traffic so in your case the flow of other trailers and semis and you will be fine.

I drive 40'DP in SoCal. SoCal resident, but my DP is registered in NM ("out of state plates"). I don't tow with my MH, but I tow horses with my truck. Cops are VERY concerned about lane restrictions if you tow, not so much with speed. If towing in CA, stay to the right (NEVER go to the far left lane - lane called "$500 lane" by the truckers), and you'll be OK. Speed is tolerated 10+ in most places (desert floor around Palm Springs - Indio can be dicey!).

I had my DP at 80MPH on the I-10 many times (speed limit is 70 in my area), and no issues with CHP.

1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
May I suggest...

For the sheer beauty of it, i would recommend taking 80 to 101, yes, through San Francisco. You will need to time it for mid-morning, and you'll essentially have the route through the city, and the bridges, to yourself. The views will be guaranteed E-ticket! Be vigilant about maintaining the center lane when on 101 over the surface streets - Van Ness to Lombard. If you want to visit San Francisco, you can find camping across the Golden Gate in Marin County, and drive the toad to the ferry for a ride back into the City. There's no parking for the motor home while going through SF.

I also suggest taking California Highway 1. Do not let hearsay intimidate you. I recommend going over to 1 just north of Santa Rosa at Highway 116. 116 goes through the Sonoma Wine Country along the Russian River. There's great camping west of Guerneville, near Jenner and the junction of 1.

1 is spectacular. Don't miss camping at least one night at Westport Union Landing State Beach, where the Lost Coast begins. This is also the point where 1 turns into the Redwoods. True, it is full of twists and curves for about 20 miles, but the scenery is sooo worth it. There isn't any traffic, really, so the road belongs to you through here, and you can comfortably drive and sightsee.

You rejoin 101 at Leggett. Another recommendation as you drive north is that you exit at Myers Flat and drive the Prairie Creek Redwoods loop. There's also camping at Prairie Creek. The Park Service has a welcome center and other amenities. The drive through is stunning, with many places to pull out and marvel at the trees. Further up 101, Mill Creeek Campground is a nice campground to anchor for the Redwoods, as is Jedidiah Smith.

Be aware in Crescent City.

We did this trip in a 37' Pace Arrow with a toad, so you have no excuses, lol.

Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
Our family is planning on traveling in our 36 ft Bounder with a Toadie heading west from NJ. What is best route to cross California from I 80 to northern coast of California to get to Redwood National Park Thanks in advance
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #18
I agree highway 20 around clear lake is a nice drive and one I would use. Highway 37 is good 2 lane road but be prepared to have drivers trying to push you along. River walk RV park in Fortuna is a nice quite place right off 101.

CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote