Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #15

We thought about pulling into the site head first, so we made the mistake of asking first...and were told no, however we did see one motorhome just a couple of sites down that did that. I think you could have done it because the sewer was near the middle of the site, and the water and electric are actually up at the front. (You can see them in the picture.) One of the best sites in that part of the campground is in the corner just down (to the right in the picture above) from where were. It is the last site before making the 90degree turn onto the street where we were. It backs up to the water and the awning side of the camper faces the sound with no other camp sites beside you. I would try for that one next time.

There is one supermarket - a Food Lion - down the beach about 10 miles in Avon. But do not go there on Saturday or Sunday. We happened to be down that way on Sunday and decided to stop to pick up an extra bag of ice and some milk. The lines were from the registers all the way back through the aisles of the store to the back. The manager saw us come in and let us pay her at the customer service desk. She said that it was always like that during the summers on Sat/Sun. She says they have 10,000 renters turning over every weekend and they all hit the store at the same time! We were back by there on Tuesday and it was deserted.

By the way, there is also a number of access roads for the sound side too if you have 4 wheel drive. There were lots of people swimming, windsurfing, and kite boarding on that side.

And be sure to take the free ferry to Okracoke, the next island down from Hatteras. Its about 15-20 miles from one end to the other and has a very scenic village and lighthouse. I could go on and on, it is a nice trip.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Several good friends of mine actually prefer the Ocracoke area over Hatteras...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Chuck thats good info. The CG is on a list of CG's on our C to C list. I did see a CG on Cedar Island, next ferry ride south of Okracoke. It is $18 a night full hook ups. But with my membership I get sites in Camp Hatterras even cheaper. Going to hatterras is a streight shot down RT13 for us, then through VB and on to haterras. come on easter week, wish you could make it Lynn.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Stevie, wave as you come off of the CBBT and into Virginia Beach as you'll be about ten minutes from where Lori and Adrienne are...

By that weekend in April I hope to be looking at good ole Rushmore...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Be carefull out there Bob, there can be some nasty snow storms in early spring in the Black Hills. We have been there many times and almost bought land there.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #20

We have been going to Camp Hatteras since it was built. We are members of that campground. We will be there over Easter break so if anyone is in the area stop by the say hello. We've been going to the Outer Banks for 30 years. We have seen many changes including the lighthouse being moved. Love this place, nothing better. You can ride you 4X4 on the beach and stop where ever you want and swim , fish or just stop and have fun. Dogs are also allowed on the beach on a leash. Our dog loves the ocean, can't keep her out of it. If you love to fish, swim, walk the beach and relax this is where you want to go.

Kevin & Dot
oceancamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<span class="ev_code_RED">OBX</span>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hello OC, we are going to be at Camp Hatteras from April 1 - April 8, Please come by and see us, Hakbar loves company. I hope more show up BUT........... we shall see. I want to drive the beach, but don't really know how, it should be interesting. Look for the Pacifica MH flying the Jolly Roger.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #23

You shouldn't have much trouble driving on the beach in your Tracker - assuming it is a 4X4. Just reduce the pressure in your tires, put it in 4WD and off you go. We drop the tire pressure down to about 20 lbs.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
About how far is it from the beach enterance to the campground ? Or, will I need to take a compressor with us? We are dying to try this beach cruising. I sure hope the weather cooperates.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #25

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Before you go venturing on the beach, I would recommend reviewing this document on the National Park Services web site. It has the rules/regulations/suggestions plus a map indicating where the beach access roads are.

Off-Road Vehicle Use in Cape Hatteras National Seashore

There is also link to a web site with rules for Dare County from the NPS link shown above, but it didn't work correctly for me. Here's a link that will work:

Dare County Beach Driving Rules for all Beaches

Note that if you take the ferry to Ocracoke Island, you will be in Hyde County and there might be some differences in rules. I couldn't find anything on Hyde County Rules for beach driving.

Have Fun! The Outer Banks has the mysterious ability to lure you back time after time once you've made your first visit. There's always something new to see or do. I've been an OBXer since the early 60's-- before the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge was built. My dad has 8mm movie footage of the bridge under construction that he shot while at the Oregon Inlet Marina.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #26

The beach ramps are every few miles along the beach road. The nearest one is about 3 miles or so (if memory serves me correctly) from Camp Hatteras. There is another about 2 or 3 miles past that. There are also several along the sound side too.

Do what Frank said above. Check out the maps and the rules. Regarding the county rules, I think that all of the area south of Oregon inlet is administered by the National Park Service including Ocracoke Island. There are signs and rules posted at the beach ramps, but check before you go.

We were there in late July and it was absolutely AMAZING how many people pulled onto (or maybe "into") the beach without 4X4. I guess people thought all the signs and warnings are just joking! We were parked not too far from the beach ramp, and watching these people was very entertaining. Fortunately for them, there are always a few guys around to rescue them so they can show off their big diesel 4X4 pickup's, and that was entertaining too.

We have one of the little Sears portable compressors with a 3 gallon tank attached. It worked well for our needs. I lowered the tire pressure to about 20-22 psi and never had any problems.

Its an awesome place if you like the beach. Have fun!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
WOW, really great stuff, thanks Frank & Chuck ! Now all I need is April to be here, and some nice spring weather. See ya at the beach.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #28

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Always be careful even when pulling off to the side of the road down there. While it may look solid, there are places where you can be up to your axles in sand. I've seen many a vehicle that had to be pulled back to solid pavement.

One other note. Be alert for crosswinds when crossing the bridges spanning open water; especially the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge which takes you across Oregon Inlet to Hatteras Island. The Outer Banks tends to be a windy place. The Wright Brothers knew this; You'll find out too! Watch your awning.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote