Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #29

I was there back in Nov 2005. I had a blast. Stayed on the ocean side of Cape Hatteras campground and went to all the touristy places. Took the ferry to Ocracoke Island and drove out on the beacj with the truck. There was a place to refill area where I had gotten on the beach so I was able to refill. You must do Howard's Pub while you are on the island. What a cool place. There is a place there also for horseback riding on the beach too.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #30

I go to the OBX maybe 12 or 15 times a year. Be prepared if going off the pavement. Take ropes, shovels, long boards, etc. If you get stuck so bad that a friend in a 4X4 can't get you out, it will set you back about $250 or more to get a tow company. Also, AAA will not cover it if they find out you were on the beach. I got my F350 dually stuck up to the axles on the sound side just a few weeks ago and I was on the campground property. No one could get me out so I had to call the tow company (I had a shovel, tow rope, and boards but still could not budge). Then the next week I saw a guy in a DP motorhome back of the back of the concrete pad and get stuck and had to get a tow truck to get him back up on the pad. When they say sand, it is sand and you will sink even if it looks solid. Careful pulling of the side of roads. GO PREPARED with tools and go have a great time. I love the OBX as you can tell by how often we go.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers

Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #33

We stayed @ Camp Hatterras for Thanksgiving 2005. Lots of stuff closed that time of year -- but you get your pick of sites. We reserved an oceanfront site - but changed it as it was simply not big enough for us and you can't see the water from there anyway.. so they let us drive around and pick another. We landed in site 134. It's very windy in the OBX so we specifically picked a site next to a park model - hoping it would shield some of the wind. Which it did.

We enjoyed our stay - but missed out on some things - like the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. We saw it - but could not go up in it - closed for the seasoon. sigh We also took the ferry to Ocracoke. Again we enjoyed it - but many restaurants / shops were closed on the island. You shouldn't have that problem.

If interested, you can see a few pics from our visit

OBX Trip -- including a few of our campsite site.

Enjoy your trip

Lucy

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #34

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Lucy, great looking Bus you have there. Use it in the best of health, and travel much. The trip to Hatteras will be our second trip in our new coach, we are dying to get away. See you on the road.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #35

Mid Atlantic Campers
4 more wake ups

Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
DO not go to camp Hatteras..... without stopping at Lisa's Pizza in Waves. A great campgound. We'll be there in May. Come on back.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #37

We been going down to Hatteras for years. Most times we stay at the KOA (because my wife likes the beach better there), but I like the sites better in Camp Hatteras. Problem is it's getting to expensive. I am getting ready to make some reservations for this year and saw the prices. I think Fort Wilderness in Disney is cheaper!
I was also surprised to see Camp Hatteras was cheaper then the KOA this year. Sure wish I could find an affordable Camp Hatteras membership!

The best time to go in our book is Late September to mid October, but as our Daughter started school so we had to change to summer. 3 more years and she is in collage. Time sure flys.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
We'll be at Camp Hatteras on site 367 April 22, 2008 at the NC Winnie Tarwheels WIT State Rally.

I think I'll have to look for Lisa's Pizza - hope it'll be open then.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Ding-a-ling,
Maybe we will get to meet before GNR. We will be at the NC rally with our group from VA. We will be pulling in on Fri. Look for the 08 Vectra and the Jeep Liberty with all the Virginia Tech stuff on it. Look forward to meeting you. Drive safe.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
I am wondering about the ferry boats. Do they accomodate the larger motorhomes (Mine is 35+ feet) along with the toad? What is the approx cost of the ferry for a MH & toad? Does one need to make reservations for the Ferry? What is the busiest time of year for the campgrounds?
Is the weather somewhat warm in April or early May?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes you can take a large MH on most of the ferries. It is a nice trip. I think it is 1st come 1st served.They may make you wait until there are 2 RV, Bus, Trucks etc that want to go. They need to balance the boat from side to side.
There is an 800 no. but I don't have it now. Something like 800 Go By Ferry. Call for times on the routes.
Enjoy the trip...
Steve
Steve Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #42

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Need more information on North Carolina's ferries? Find it HERE!

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote