Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Campground and locations in Door County, Wisconsin

Suggestions for the Door County Wisconsin area. Good motorhome Resorts, or campground near the best areas.

CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

We will also be in the 'Door'... most of June and over the 4th.

Looking for personal responses of actual stays...did the Internet searching earlier which most people know how to do.

Thanks in advance...

Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us out West View Post
We will also be in the 'Door'... most of June and over the 4th.

Looking for personal responses of actual stays...did the Internet searching earlier which most people know how to do.

Thanks in advance...
Us out West
A number of personal responses of actual stays, (aka; reviews), of some Door County, WI campgrounds can be found here: https://www.google.com/#q=door+count...rounds+reviews

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Us out West
A number of personal responses of actual stays, (aka; reviews), of some Door County, WI campgrounds can be found here: https://www.google.com/#q=door+count...rounds+reviews

Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks Mel been there.

Certainly some good info but would also like to hear from any iRV2 Members here that have stayed in the 'Door'.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

Door County, WI

Wow.. my first post !!

I noticed this and thought I would respond, as my GF and I absolutely LOVE going to Door County.

The best recommendation is Peninsula State Park. It's the crown jewel of the the WI State Park System. It is a beautiful and special place to camp... if possible. I would strongly recommend you go to

Find Campgrounds - ReserveAmerica

as quickly as possible and see if you can make a reservation. All WI state parks use this system for reservations. They allow reservations to be made up to 11 months in advance, and usually Peninsula State Park sells out every weekend throughout the summer.

If you are lucky enough to get in, please try to spend some time at this park. If you are a state park fan, you will not be disappointed. They have wonderful hiking and biking trails. The one down side to staying at the park is they only have 50amp service at the sites (no water or sewer). If you can, spend a few days and then move to another campground in the area which has the full hook ups. You will not be disappointed if you are able to spend a few days in the park.

Other places to stay near/in Door County would be the following;

Door County Camping Retreat - we spent a 4th of July weekend there a few years back. It was a nice place, nothing particularly special. It was convenient to Egg Harbor, which is a must place to visit when in Door County.

Hy-Land Court RV Park - I don't have much information on this park, but if the park is anything like the pictures on their website, it should be just fine. I am rolling the dice as we have made reservations there for the Sister Bay Fall Festival in October. I reached out the owners via email and they have been great. I have a good feeling and think it will be just fine.

Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort - I haven't personally stayed at this camp, but we have driven through it and it was ok. Again, I don't have personal experience staying here, but when driving through, it seemed like a nice place. Again, this is a good location, as it is between Egg Harbor and Fish Creek.

There are a couple other RV places I haven't mentioned as I don't have any first hand knowledge of them.

I will say, Door County is a special place. It's a very touristy type of place. It has lots of orchards, wineries and art studios to see and visit. Don't let the large crowds deter you from getting out and exploring the small towns.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know.. My GF and I try to get up to Door County as much as possible. We especially like the fall time, as it's gorgeous during that time of the year.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieFac View Post
Suggestions for the Door County Wisconsin area. Good motorhome Resorts, or campground near the best areas.
We LOVE DOOR COUNTY... We live in Door County. Depending on what you are looking for the county has so much to offer. The "quiet side" of the County is Lake Michigan side. Baileys Harbor would be a great town to stay in. We have camped at Baileys Grove and found it to be clean, quiet and works well for big rigs. In fact my in-laws will be there the entire month of June. On the more populated side of the County, you have Egg Harbor, Fish Creek and several other small towns. If you can get into Peninsula State Park it would be a fabulous place to stay. We have not stayed at any campgrounds in Egg Harbor so I can't make any recommendations there.

I'm sure you will enjoy the area. If you want any suggestions on what to do/see/where to eat... let me know.

Patti
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Patty,
Thanks for the information, we tried to get into the State Park but it was booked solid, through many internet and friendly suggestions we decided on Egg Harbor Campground. We will be getting in around the 16 th of June and staying about ten days or so. We hope to travel around the county and see everything, especially the Lighthouses. The one question that no one has answered, is the area pet friendly? We have a Cavilier King Charles Spaniel that loves to walk and be with us.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #8

We just booked a month's stay starting in mid-June at Hy-Land Court RV Park in Ellison Bay.

Looking forward to enjoying the 'Door' again.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieFac View Post
Patty,
Thanks for the information, we tried to get into the State Park but it was booked solid, through many internet and friendly suggestions we decided on Egg Harbor Campground. We will be getting in around the 16 th of June and staying about ten days or so. We hope to travel around the county and see everything, especially the Lighthouses. The one question that no one has answered, is the area pet friendly? We have a Cavilier King Charles Spaniel that loves to walk and be with us.
Door County is known as the Cape Cod of the Midwest, it truly is beautiful. Seeing as I live here I don't enjoy it as much as I should. Most areas you go will be pet friendly assuming they are well behaved and on a leash. To my knowledge none of the villages have restrictions on pets. Pets are welcome at all of the state parks but must be on a leash. There are miles of hiking trails and shoreline to enjoy.

Must see places:
- Peninsula State Park
- Whitefish Dunes State Park
- Cave Point County Park (right next door to Whitefish Dunes)
- Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant (goats on the roof)
- Cana Island Lighthouse (access via causeway)
- BEST pizza that I have found in the county... Wild Tomato in Fish Creek
- Best place to watch sunset... Carrington Pub and Grill 1 mile south of Egg Harbor above Alpine Golf Course
- Every night of the week there is a different village that has live music. Egg Harbor normally has it on Thursday evening in the park. (pets are welcome)

So much to do...so little time. I hope you enjoy the area!
Patti
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #11

We have done several short stays and Door County is a great place. Bring clothing for different temperatures. We went to an outdoor July 4th concert once, and needed blankets to keep warm.

Also, we like the White Gull Inn for breakfast or dinner however, after parking our rig on a nearby side street, the manager of a (different) hotel came out and tried to make us leave. We were clearly legally parked but, apparently a customer complained. Just offering this if you get in the immediate area.

Edit, state law is that pedestrians in the crosswalks have the right of way. This can be tricky if you are from a state that doesn't require this, so be alert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pttaylor View Post
Door County is known as the Cape Cod of the Midwest, it truly is beautiful. Seeing as I live here I don't enjoy it as much as I should. Most areas you go will be pet friendly assuming they are well behaved and on a leash. To my knowledge none of the villages have restrictions on pets. Pets are welcome at all of the state parks but must be on a leash. There are miles of hiking trails and shoreline to enjoy.

Must see places:
- Peninsula State Park
- Whitefish Dunes State Park
- Cave Point County Park (right next door to Whitefish Dunes)
- Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant (goats on the roof)
- Cana Island Lighthouse (access via causeway)
- BEST pizza that I have found in the county... Wild Tomato in Fish Creek
- Best place to watch sunset... Carrington Pub and Grill 1 mile south of Egg Harbor above Alpine Golf Course
- Every night of the week there is a different village that has live music. Egg Harbor normally has it on Thursday evening in the park. (pets are welcome)

So much to do...so little time. I hope you enjoy the area!
Patti
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Thanks for the many interesting posts about Door County, WI.

My mother was born in Fish Creek and her parents are buried in 1 of the 2 cemeteries in Peninsula State Park, (her brother in another).
Their home/farm was located where the park entrance is now.

Over the past 70 years I have seen "the door" evolve from the home of commercial fisherman and their families, (and a summer retreat of the wealthy) into a full blown tourist trap.

That said, it is still a beautiful and interesting place.

BTW, here is a link to some interesting reading about Door Co: Old Peninsula Days Door County

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We love Door County and honey mooned there 40 years ago.

Higher up the peninsula, out of most of the high traffic, high activity areas, is the Wagon Trail. They have a half dozen or so sites that are suitable for a big rig. I'll post a photo of us on one. Within walking distance is a resort of the same name (years ago they were part of the same business) with a nice restaurant, great bakery and where you can rent a boat. You're away from the high traffic areas, but you're close enough to visit all comfortably.

The state park is great, but has few sites suitable for a big rig and as you've already discovered, is impossible to get reservations for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-11 Wagon Wheel - Door Co WI .JPG
Views:	63
Size:	601.1 KB
ID:	60591  
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #14

Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort

We stayed there July 2013, had a back in site with our 36" Pace Arrow was a little close but very nice. TV reception was not to good with our Batwing. we were in a wooded part of park. Bathrooms were clean. They have nice big pull throughs, that are out in the open. Its location is great to explore Door County. The owners are very nice and take you to the site. Its a little costly but so is Door County. I would go Back.