Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #1

Campground Extra $$$

We were looking to go to "Cross Creek Camping Resort" which is near Delaware, OH. After reading the following review on "rvparksreviews.com" we found another place to go.

This is a gorgeous campground. I'd definitely go back if I were visiting the Columbus area again. I was a bit annoyed that they charged me $10 for showing up 35 minutes shy of noon, but that really was my only gripe. They have a lot of activities, nice pool, and a little train they pull campers around with. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When using rvparkreviews, if there are several reviews, we always toss out the best and worse reviews and settle on the average of the rest.

Some people get ticked off because they stump their tow getting out of their camper and give the CG a bad review. Some of the best could be owner or friends trying to help out.

I don't think that just the above post would keep me from going to a CG.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
When using rvparkreviews, if there are several reviews, we always toss out the best and worse reviews and settle on the average of the rest.

Some people get ticked off because they stump their tow getting out of their camper and give the CG a bad review. Some of the best could be owner or friends trying to help out.

I don't think that just the above post would keep me from going to a CG.
I basically agree, however in this case I would give this review a little more thought if there were not numerous reviews since the poster was not just ripping the park. They seemed to actually have positive things to say about their stay except for the extra charge. If all they said was "This place sucks" it would get zero credibility from me. If it seems to be a thought out, credible sounding review I will give it a greater weighting.
Just my way of looking at it. Either way, I do appreciate the people who take the time to write good reviews after their stays. That is an area I need to improve.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We HATE add on charges like this. Although checking in before 11:30 am is a bit of a stretch I don't believe the add on fees are appropriate. Having said that it probably wouldn't keep me from going there.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Kind of strange about the $10. If they were charged for showing up early why wouldn't you just turn around and wait until noon.

We have showed up even hours early a few times (not there) and if the site was vacant never been charged extra though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Did anyone ever get a credit for being a little late??
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #7

This campground also has a 3 day minimum stay charge if you stay over any part of a weekend. This means if you want to stay only a friday night or a sunday night then you have to pay for 3 nights. This is as per a phone reservation conversation I had with them a couple of months ago. This was not a holiday or special event period just a regular weekend. Needless to say I stayed at another campground.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
The website says check-in is 2:00, so 2 hours early (check-out is noon).
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

I've had that happen too. If the spot is vacant, what's the problem? I also had one try to charge me a fee to dump when I arrived and they only had a non-sewer space. So I waited until we left and dumped. Some places are charging for all the extras they can think of - cable TV, WiFi, etc. The market will sort it all out. I don't use RV Park Reviews anymore since a place we checked out there was so poor we wouldn't even stay. Of course they wouldn't let me post a negative review since we didn't stay. I rely on Good Sam since they have some objective criteria - they also have a place where people can post their own reviews.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just love these check out 12 noon and check in 3:00. Do they have to make the beds like a hotel? Don't think so. Anything to save a few $ electric, even though we mostly leave before 8:00 am.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground