Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
It has been several years since we have purchased a campgoung guide. The DW says it is time. Any suggestions as to which is best?
Are the ratings any way near correct and are the price listings up to date?

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Woodall's, Good Sam, Pass Port America, and RV Park Reviews, all on-line. I think I have Woodall's & Good Sam's books in the coach that are '07s but I haven't looked at them in over two years. It's easier and faster on-line. If I were going to carry one hard copy for a back-up it would be Woodall's.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brian,
I use the Trailer Life (Good Sam) directory. In addition I purchased the book of state maps that has all the CGs in the paper directory marked on the map. This combination has been really helpful. When at a rest area having lunch I can use the map to figure out where I might be at the end of the day. Then use the directory to get the details and phone number of the CG.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally posted by bdpreece:
Are the ratings any way near correct and are the price listings up to date?
Ratings are really subjective...what one person might think of as a great campground is a terrible one to the next person. I'd use the ratings in ANY directory with a grain of salt.

As for prices, the prices are as of the previous year (for the printed version...don't know if the on-line versions are updated more frequently).
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Besides all those mentioned, I also will do a Google search for RV Parks, by city and sometimes state.

One of 'my' better searches is with Microsoft Live Maps
When on the site, type in the city you wish to view in the "Live Search" pane. Once it comes up, type RV Park in the Live search pane. It will pop up CG's in the Center of the map. You can then drag the map and the CG will re-populate.

No one piece of information sources is all-inclusive, including the books. I use all sources until I find a place to stay. And yes, sometimes I'm across the street of a better place, but hey, I can move.

The only reviews I believe in are the ones I have written. All others are taken like a grain of salt.

Once a CG is located, a Google search on that CG will typically give you a web page that may have the current rate, but it is always a good idea to call.

Call ahead and tell them what discount you would like to use. The CG's normally set aside a percentage of their CG for discount holders. If they say they are full, ask if they have any non-discount sites. You may find that they do, and don't haggle over discount/non-discount. Many others have been rude to the CG staff when the arrive and find out that they are "full" to see empty sites. It has cut off discounts at many CG's.

Not singling any one out, but just generalizations.

Remember, books are extra weight and storage.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
There is another source that I relied on during a trip through the North east. I stopped at each states welcome station on the interstates and used their camp ground guides. Some, like Virginia's are very good and I found one place I loved that was very reasonable. They also list State and some county parks. Unfortunately some states like CT. do not check the information for accuracy and one campgrounds free wifi turned out to be the Panera Bread company store down the street. Cable TV could also be on the one set in the locked rec room. I now use woodalls because they have a map in front of each state that helps me look up places in the area I'm going. They also check the accuracy of the features offered. None of these things are easy to use while driving so I think a GPS is in my future.

Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
We use woodalls and also the Internet. If you have Internet on the road it helps alot.
2007 Monaco Camelot 40 PAQ
2007 JK 4Door Jeep
UPS 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
I have Trailer Life software. I can zero in on an area and it will show me on a map the location of all RV parks. By selecting one I can see all the info on it. It also has routing option. This way, I don't have to carry the big books.
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
As an added note, Google earth could also be of help for a quick overview of the different RV campgrounds and resorts. My initial try on it was quite difficult though, but it's really fun browsing through it.

Yellowstone RV Park
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote