Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #1

I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice, clean campground in the Lake George, NY area for 4-5 days in mid September 2007. We have a 32' travel trailer, and travel with a small dog. It does not have to be directly on Lake George, and does not have to be a resort-type. We like to kayak and have our own. Prefer wooded sites. Can be within 5-10 miles of Lake George Village.

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #2

I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice, clean campground in the Lake George, NY area for 4-5 days in mid September 2007. We have a 32' travel trailer, and travel with a small dog. It does not have to be directly on Lake George, and does not have to be a resort-type. We like to kayak and have our own. Prefer wooded sites. Can be within 5-10 miles of Lake George Village.

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

We like the state parks in NY. They generally only have 20-30A electric at the sites; no other hookups. Water and dump near by. Dogs allowed.

The parks are generally large spots and well tree'd. Check to make sure your rig fits on a specific lot. There are some limitations on length for specific lots.

There are 2 State Park campgrounds at Lake George: Lake George Islands (south end) and Roger's Rock (north end). Unfortunately I have not camped in either of these parks, so I have no personal experience with either.

Go to reserveamerica.com to investigate both campgrounds, facilities, limitations, and reservations.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
I would suggest Lake George Schroon Valley Resort, right on Schroon river and 2 exits passed LG. We had our fall rally there, and it is very nice.
Unless it's changed very recently, State parks in our area in Eastern NY do not have electricity or water hook ups. The Lake George Islands are just that..Islands. It's for tenters,no way to get an RV on the islands, which are very small.

Lake Luzerne state campground Route 9N, 8 miles SW of Lake George Village, is close and beautiful, but again, no electricity/water. Same with Hearthstone Point Campground, Route 9N 2 miles notrth of Lake George Village, and Rodger's Rock Route 9N, 3 miles N of Hague. Lake George Battlefield, U.S. Route 9, 1/4 mile S of Lake George Village, is nice..also, unless it's changed recently no water/electric.

There is a great balloon show in Glens Falls in September. Worth the trip downto watch them takeoff.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #5

I'm glad that someone who actually 'knows' the area responded with better information!

I just assumed RV's floated!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Roy W,

I agree with Doris 1000000000% it was a nice campground! It was close enough to everything, yet far enough not to be to crazy! Enjoy the trip it is a real nice area, and the Weather in Sept. should be great!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
I'm glad that someone who actually 'knows' the area responded with better information!

I just assumed RV's floated!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was shocked when I went to your area, and the state campgrounds had electric. And there was me with a TV, but no cord LOL! I sure wish we would get electric!

We have yet to visit the Islands but I would like to.

Funny things, those RV's..they just sink to the bottom, when you try to get them to the islands! Now, Association Island..that one is different. They built a nice causeway!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #8

The only NY state parks that I've been in that don't have electric are the DEC parks in the Adirondacks. Gotta admit I haven't been to the Lake George parks in about 30 years, and I honestly don't remember if they had elec back then (was in a tent and didn't care!). Sounds like there's a few 'primitive' state parks in NY other than the DEC parks w/o elec.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #9

I agree with Doris on Lake George Schroon River RV resort. The IRV2 Northeasters had our Fall rallt there last year and had no complaints. The campground does not have cable tv and only 2 or 3 local stations. It is just off Exit 24 & around 7 miles from the nice town of Bolton Landing. The prices are reasonable & management friendly. I have a house in Bolton Landing and as of last year there is no electric in any area State Park ; Roger's Rock or Harthstone.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info guys and gals. It sounds like Schroon River Resort it is. Prior to that we'll be at Old Forge Camping Resort for a week. Looking forward to spending some time back in the Adirondacks, having lived in Raquette Lake for 10 years.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #11

When did electricity and TV's become a must have to go camping? We "used" to go camping to get away from those things. LOL

2003 R-Vision Trail Lite 22' B+
Reno-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reno-NY:
When did electricity and TV's become a must have to go camping? We "used" to go camping to get away from those things. LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We like to go camping to relax. And since our business is online, and often done well into the evening, and not a 9 - 5 job, TV has actually become a luxury. So when camping, when we go in at night, it's great to sit and relax with it. As for electricity, in all 40 years of camping, that has always been a pleasure to have. Different types of camping for different folks. Wifi is another thing we really like having, because then we are actually able to camp more, and bring along some work to pay for it(we like our work, so it's great to be able to leave home with it). I prefer resort camping..did enough of state parks way back when LOL!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #13

I love Paradise Pines Jellystone Park of Exit 23 of the Northway (I87) It's just north of Lake George, and the sites are HUGE. At first I thought we had TWO sites, but there was only one firepit. Plus they have a large pool. And you can reserve online.
I have photos somewhere...
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #14

We enjoy Lake George Rv Park.