Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Campground in North Ga mountains

Any recommendations? looking to go in October. Somewhere near Ellijay/Blue Ridge area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Interestingly enough, we were just in that area yesterday scouting for places to stay if it is a hot August. There were several RV parks/campgrounds on 76 between Blairsville and Ellijay. Most had easy access, but I cannot say how the facilities were.
October ought to be, there has been more rain than usual and leaves are heavy green. Apple crops look good from the Dawsonville highway into Ellijay.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #3

We are researching same ... Trackrock campground looks amazing. Im trying to find information the route as my husband freaks out when we drive in the mountains. As of today, they still had some sites available.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Track Rock is ok. I have a 36 ft fifth wheel and am uncomfortable taking my unit in there. Bald Mountain CAmpground in Hiawassee is a large campground with full hookups and lots to do in the area. There are several on Highway 76 outside Blairsville that are resorts with full hookups. One is just across the street from the Blairsville Airport for general aviation. Bear in mind, the Georgia Mountain Fall Festival is during October as well as many other events and those campgrounds fill up fast. We will be staying at the Bald Mountain Campground in Hiawassee.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

We drove through Trackrock yesterday and didn't think it would be easy to maneuver our 35 ft 5th wheel there. The lake area is beautiful but the campsites are squishy and no view.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #6

Mountain View Resort is the campground located across the Blairsville general aviation airport I do believe. It is a beautiful spacious campground that restricts the age and condition of recreational vehicles they allow. It is convenient to a lot of things to do and see around Blairsville. You must go to the weekend buffet at Unicoi State Park and Lodge. Out of this world.

http://www.georgiamtnviewrvresort.com
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #7

Doll Mountain is a Corp of Engineers campground on Carters Lake near Ellijay. We'll be there Oct 19-21. (last weekend of the apple festival) after that we're moving to Moccasin Creek State Park for a couple or three days. Vogel State Park is near Blairesville. It can be a little tight on some sites with a bigger rig. I have a 32 foot TT and "managed" to do ok. As said, there are several privately run campgrounds in the area. I think you'll have to rent a whole week at Trackrock in October. That area is my old stomping ground.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Have you been to Doll Mountain and Moccasin Creek State Park before? I'd like to hear how you liked it, especially with your TT.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

I second Mountain View Resort. We stayed there for a week last year and it is first class. Perfectly level lots, great hookups, friendly owners, and a great view of the mountains.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradswife View Post
Have you been to Doll Mountain and Moccasin Creek State Park before? I'd like to hear how you liked it, especially with your TT.
I haven't camp at either but I've ridden through both to evaluate them. I don't anticipate any problems. We primarily stay at the National and State parks because they are a little more "rustic and woodsy" with hiking trails etc. (albeit most lack the full hookup)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #11

i just made reservations at River Vista Resort in Dillard Ga. Anyone been? Not going until end of October and they only had like 4 sites left ..
Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBoo View Post
i just made reservations at River Vista Resort in Dillard Ga. Anyone been? Not going until end of October and they only had like 4 sites left ..
Haven't stayed there - but did drive thru after eating at Dillard House. As shown on the website, lots are for sale. The park is well kept & is a nice location.

You can go up to Cherokee NC & if you want go on over to Gatlinburg. And you're right at Dillard! So make sure you visit Dillard House. We go there for lunch as it is plenty of food & a bit less expensive than dinner.

Enjoy your stay in beautiful Northeast Georgia! So many people are shocked to find out there are mountains in Georgia!
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #13

Hey MissBoo...we'll be at River Vista beginning Oct. 26 for 2 weeks. We have a house in Rabun Gap that has been leased out for 3 years. They're moving out, so we need to go check on our house. Thought we'd catch the leaves at the same time. We've never stayed there, but have been by it a lot of times when we used to go to our house. I remember it being nice.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #14

Miss BooBoo & G G, we are currently at River Vista and will be until early Nov. Great place and location. The Halloween Weekend(Oct 24-26 this year) is always full or nearly. Lots of activities for adults & kids. Plus, that is prime time for "leaf-lookers." I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay and the surrounding area.

Tags
campground